about passports

bubbles1209

I know you have to submit bc and drivers license but do you get them back right then? I have a certified bc but I dont want to relinquish it to them as it is my only one. For the kids, will their bc suffice for proof of citizenship and identity?

I know you have to submit bc and drivers license but do you get them back right then? I have a certified bc but I don't want to relinquish it to them as it is my only one. For the kids, will their bc suffice for proof of citizenship and identity?

They take your BC, you will get it back with the Passport. We had a problem with my wifes BC from the hospital and had to send them a certified one from the state. Both were returned with her passport, total time for the processing with the BC problem was four weeks.

Wow. Who ever thought that you can get a response from the passport agency through e-mail. :rolleyes:

If you have something wrong with your application, photo, or birth certificate .. guess what..... You will receive all of your information back in the mailbox at the address you provided. And then what :confused: . Wellllll

you get to go back to the agency you originally applied with .. correct your information and Voila! you may be issued a passport (with or without an electronic chip in the back cover).

This comes from your local passport acceptance center where I work!

Wow. Who ever thought that you can get a response from the passport agency through e-mail. :rolleyes:

If you have something wrong with your application, photo, or birth certificate .. guess what..... You will receive all of your information back in the mailbox at the address you provided. And then what :confused: . Wellllll

you get to go back to the agency you originally applied with .. correct your information and Voila! you may be issued a passport (with or without an electronic chip in the back cover).

They would e-mail me if that's gonna be a problem...........that's exactly what I was told today by the passport agent before she had me fill in my e-mail addy on the form. I'm not saying that they won't mail it back, and all, was only repeating what I was told, trying to help others. I appreciate the info though:)

Your right bubbles1209 about the e-mail part;) I e-mailed them because I couldnt get through the number to call and check on your passports and got a response the next day;) apparently clerkpatsy doesnt keep up on things and needs some remedial training!:rolleyes: Also they are doing the new types of electronic passports with the chips in them!;) UHHH! How long you been a clerk? Patsy!:eek:

We just applied for passports for our Jan 21 cruise date. It seemed that the post office applic. was shorter and easier to fill out than the online version.

Total processing fee at the post office pp = $97.00 and $8.00 per picture from Eckard's. It took about 15 min. for my wife and myself.

I know you have to submit bc and drivers license but do you get them back right then? I have a certified bc but I dont want to relinquish it to them as it is my only one. For the kids, will their bc suffice for proof of citizenship and identity?

I had the same problem so I obtained another copy of my BC before turning in the passport application. This page will give you all of the info you need for children's passports.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

Ordered our passports, the last week in March, and recieved them June 20th. Took about 10 weeks. To quote the Taco Bell comercial "Were good to go!" Used them on this past cruise, and was way faster than using drivers licence and birth certificates.

just thought i would let you guys know that i applied for my passport on 7/18/06 and i just got mine yesterday (not too bad).... they told me it would take 6-8 weeks... they were WAY off.... make sure they send a very clear picture of your drivers license... my boyfriend got a letter form the state requesting a new copy of his drivers license...

Your right bubbles1209 about the e-mail part;) I e-mailed them because I couldnt get through the number to call and check on your passports and got a response the next day;) apparently clerkpatsy doesnt keep up on things and needs some remedial training!:rolleyes: Also they are doing the new types of electronic passports with the chips in them!;) UHHH! How long you been a clerk? Patsy!:eek:
be nice, be nice, maybe she just needs to take a deep breath, relax, and take a cruise.........like me!

be nice, be nice, maybe she just needs to take a deep breath, relax, and take a cruise.........like me!

She wasnt too nice to you but I dont like sarcasm and rudeness! I apologize to you for that! I just had a Angioplasty to see if i had any blocked arteries and am on some medication that probably afects me more on these matters and yes maybe I shouldnt post for awhile! I had a Stepfather and two stepbrothers who were cruel so when I see these rude and hateful things people post it sets me off! I apologize to the ones who are nice but no way to the Rude ones who spew hatred!

She wasnt too nice to you but I dont like sarcasm and rudeness! I apologize to you for that! I just had a Angioplasty to see if i had any blocked arteries and am on some medication that probably afects me more on these matters and yes maybe I shouldnt post for awhile! I had a Stepfather and two stepbrothers who were cruel so when I see these rude and hateful things people post it sets me off! I apologize to the ones who are nice but no way to the Rude ones who spew hatred!

ROFLMAO, yes, you probably should take a break!! I have read that post 10 times now, and have not seen anything even resembling "spewing hatred" or cruel and hateful! LOL!! Sorry, I just don't see it... maybe sarcastic, but that's hardly hatred... relax :p

lol, no she wasn't very nice to me, but you don't need to apologize, didn't mean to say be nice in a bad way.........it was supposed to be in a joking way:p (I just couldn't use any more silly faces in the post) and agreed, she wasn't very nice, but I take that with a grain of salt.......you know, let it roll, like water on a duck's back, because I know what goes around comes around. And I don't agree, if you feel like posting, go right ahead, you need something to keep ya busy while you're trying to feel better.....right?........These boards make me feel better even when I feel fine, so I know they must make you feel better. So post away, and seriously:p no hard feelings.....:rolleyes: she may just need a break too..........I'm ready for mine:D

Careful who you say is NOT being NICE!

I didn't say I work IN the passport office. I said I worked in the acceptance center (but I don't accept). I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. You will not be able to clarify your mistakes through e-mail.

And I never said chips were not issued.

Careful People. I'm not that mean!:(

We got ours in two weeks!:eek: You all probably will get the new computerized ones with the chip in them in the shape of a credit card ,Ive got the book type!:rolleyes: Anyway they both will be better than lugging around all the paper types!;) Happy Cruising to all Get Out There!;)

The new ones are no different than the old ones, there is simply a chip in the cover of the book.

From US State Department:

The proposed U.S. Electronic Passport is the same as a regular passport with the addition of a small contactless integrated circuit (computer chip) embedded in the back cover. The chip will securely store the same data visually displayed on the photo page of the passport, and will additionally include a digital photograph. The inclusion of the digital photograph will enable biometric comparison, through the use of facial recognition technology at international borders. The U.S. “e-passport” will also have a new look, incorporating additional anti-fraud and security features.

Passports without chips will still be valid for the full extent of their validity period.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/eppt/eppt_2498.html

This is what the website says about the E-Passport. It says "proposed" and doesn't give a date for implementation.

The U.S. Electronic Passport

The proposed U.S. Electronic Passport is the same as a regular passport with the addition of a small contactless integrated circuit (computer chip) embedded in the back cover. The chip will securely store the same data visually displayed on the photo page of the passport, and will additionally include a digital photograph. The inclusion of the digital photograph will enable biometric comparison, through the use of facial recognition technology at international borders. The U.S. “e-passport” will also have a new look, incorporating additional anti-fraud and security features.

They began issuing them August 14th.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2006/70433.htm

Careful who you say is NOT being NICE!

I didn't say I work IN the passport office. I said I worked in the acceptance center (but I don't accept). I guess I didn't explain myself clearly. You will not be able to clarify your mistakes through e-mail.

And I never said chips were not issued.

Careful People. I'm not that mean!:(

please let me re-iterate this one more time and hopefully avoid anymore confusion:--quoted from a previous post-

They would e-mail me if that's gonna be a problem...........that's exactly what I was told today by the passport agent before she had me fill in my e-mail addy on the form. I'm not saying that they won't mail it back, and all, was only repeating what I was told, trying to help others. I appreciate the info though:)

Now with that being said again, I never said you were mean, I only said you weren't very nice to me. All caps is considered yelling when talking, and yelling isn't nice, nor is telling people to be careful. I took your first reply in a sarcastic sense, and obviously some others did also, but as you can see from what I re-iterated above, I was only trying to help others from what I was told by the agent I dealt with. I also thanked you for your information. As I thank you again, but I never once doubted or disputed what you said, just re-iterated what I was told. Once again, thanks for your input.:)

Sometimes my posts get a bit confusing. I didn't mean to start a whole lot of mess. I too was just trying to make people understand how important it is not to wait to apply for their passport.

Because of the confusion between our posts, maybe other people would have gotten confused also.

Let me just say .. the sooner you can apply for your passport, the better off you will be. Because if something should go wrong with your application, it could delay your passport for months.

G'Luck to all applying. Didn't mean to cause such a stink.

and P.S. when I wrote in caps .. I was yelling!! :D Just trying to get my point across (and I'm a very loud person anyway .. not yelling just a loud voice;) )

Hope this calms this thread down so others can get the info they need without a whole bunch of controversy (which I sure never meant to happen)

• 2 weeks later...

Per the passport website mine has now completed processing and has been mailed with a delivery date by 9/20/06. That would be approximately 4 weeks from application date and should have come from the New Orleans office. I will update once I receive it and let you know if it has the electronic chip embedded and if it was indeed processed in New Orleans.

We got ours in two weeks!:eek: You all probably will get the new computerized ones with the chip in them in the shape of a credit card ,Ive got the book type!:rolleyes: Anyway they both will be better than lugging around all the paper types!;) Happy Cruising to all Get Out There!;)

I looked all over the government site and the only passport style is the book type, but it has the electronic info inbedded in the cover.

I applied at my local Post Office on 8/18 and was also told to expect it in 8 weeks. I received it yesterday which was only 4 weeks. :) According to state.gov website production of the new electronic passports has started at the Colorado Passport Agency and will be expanded to other production facilities over the next few months. Mine came from Charleston, SC and did not have the chip.

Also do not worry if the the status website does not show your passport as processed. I had checked mine yesterday morning and it showed my application was not found.

https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_i.asp

Does anyone know how long it takes for a renewal? I sent mine last week and it said on the site processing could take 3 business days. So with that I am guessing maybe 2 weeks tops, right? I am leaving for the Glory the 2nd week of Oct and really dont want to try to get another birth certificate, which i just did but somehow its gone now.

I just checked the website on mine, and it says I should receive my passport on or about 10/17/2006. That would put it at 6 weeks if I get it at that time. I applied Sept. 6th. Guess I'll keep checking back to see when processing has been completed, and it has been mailed. Will update when it happens.:)

Archived