about passports

bubbles1209

I applied for mine 9/8 and based on the state dept. website (where you can check the progress and delivery date of your passport) mine is set to arrive on or before 10/10.

I had been checking mine also and when it was entered into their system they gave a date of 10/2/06 but I should have it this week. They also give you the tracking number for the package.

just thought i would let you guys know that i applied for my passport on 7/18/06 and i just got mine yesterday (not too bad).... they told me it would take 6-8 weeks... they were WAY off.... make sure they send a very clear picture of your drivers license... my boyfriend got a letter form the state requesting a new copy of his drivers license...

Um, your post was on the 6th of September. You said you got them "yesterday", which would be the fifth. You ordered them on 7/18. That's 49 days, or seven weeks. How in the world were they "WAY off"????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Um, your post was on the 6th of September. You said you got them "yesterday", which would be the fifth. You ordered them on 7/18. That's 49 days, or seven weeks. How in the world were they "WAY off"????? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Good catch! An explanation is on the way, maybe? ;)

just thought i would let you guys know that i applied for my passport on 7/18/06 and i just got mine yesterday (not too bad).... they told me it would take 6-8 weeks... they were WAY off.... make sure they send a very clear picture of your drivers license... my boyfriend got a letter form the state requesting a new copy of his drivers license...

UGH, I applied for mine at the Post office on Sept 11th, and they never took a copy of my Drivers license. They just wrote down information from it. They took my Birth Certificate, and the two photos. I didn't include a email address, and am regretting that now. Maybe I can email them to include it so if they need to contact me then can.

Stressed now:(

-Mike

I never gave my drivers license. Just curious why everyone keeps saying they had too. I went to our local courthouse/government center last year, got mine in just under 4 weeks.

There is some confusion on the passport issue though. I know what they are telling the general publc, but its not entirely true. Yes you will need a passport to get on the cruise ship. However, you do not need it to get back into the US. As long as you have a VALID drivers license or state issued ID card, you can re-enter the US. Some people are underthe impression that you cannot re-enter the US without one.

Yes you will need a passport to travel to other countries, but the US cannot require one to get into Mexico, or Canada. Only those countries can set requirements to enter their country. Not sure if that is posted somewhere. This information comes from someone very close to me who works with I.N.S. ( my brother ). I told him he would need a passport to go on a cruise and he said since when? I told him that the state dept. was requiring them and he told me that the state dept could not speak for other countries, but the cruiseline can require that you have one to board their ship.

With that said, I think we should all do some reading on exactly what it is that is required.

Having a passport IS the best way though, its only 97 bucks good for 10 years, cheaper then a dl.

tim

I applied for mine 9/8 and based on the state dept. website (where you can check the progress and delivery date of your passport) mine is set to arrive on or before 10/10.

...and who do you know?:D I applied on 9/1 and the site says 10/11 for mine. Still plenty of time, of course for a 2/11 cruise.

Dan

I just received my passport in the mail today. :D I had applied at the local post office on 8/22/06 and received it on 9/18/06 so that was 27 days from application to receipt. ( I had been told 8 weeks when applying.) It is a normal passport with no electronic chip. It was processed in the New Orleans office.

There is some confusion on the passport issue though. I know what they are telling the general publc, but its not entirely true. Yes you will need a passport to get on the cruise ship. However, you do not need it to get back into the US. As long as you have a VALID drivers license or state issued ID card, you can re-enter the US. Some people are underthe impression that you cannot re-enter the US without one.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

The following is from the above listed page from the US Dept of State website. A DL will not work and it is the Dept of State requiring the passports and not the cruise lines.

New Requirements for Travelers

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

• January 8, 2007 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • January 1, 2008 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

We applied for our passports in July and they told us 6-8 weeks and we received them in 4. Unfortunately my husband's name was spelled wrong. But I sent it back on a Wednesday and had the corrected one on Saturday, just 4 days later. We didn't use expedited postage.

I applied in my local Wisconsin post office on Sept 1. Below is posted the reply from the passport site this morning. Things are still working alright, obviously, but the later it gets, who knows:

Thank you for submitting your passport application!

Your passport application locator number is.

We have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you.

You requested delivery by regular mail. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail. This means you should receive your passport on or about 09/30/2006.

Archived