How to NOT have an airline lose your luggage

Cruise Lover Kathy

I also found a bit of luggage "record updating" to be worthwhile. Before leaving for the Med, I realized I had several different old business cards with disconnected phone numbers, bad email addresses etc in my various tags.

I completely relabeled and tagged my baggage, put only the phone numbers I could be called on and put itineraries in each piece.

Our baggage could not keep up with us on one leg to Paris, but all 4 pieces found there way to our downtown hotel by the next morning... Bellman said "You are quite lucky sir".

As JJPNYC stated, providing the airlines w/ your itinerary is good advice. I use special "tags" that I purchased from Magellan's. The outside of the tag says "Here is my itinerary. Please remove & examine if my bag is misplaced." It is written in 10 different languages. There is a sleeve into which you put your itinerary. They have saved me several times.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Luggage___Luggage_Tags___IdentifiersLA311?Args=

Hi Liv4cruzin.

I also have those on my luggage, the bright yellow colour is also useful in helping me to locate.

I put similar info inside the case

I have bright yellow nylon wrapped around each handle of my case, and a bright yellow strap as well.

Of course this did not stop Delta failing to put my luggage (along with about 30 other pasengers luggage on board at Atlanta), It was still sitting in the container on the tarmac when we all landed in London!

As JJPNYC stated, providing the airlines w/ your itinerary is good advice. I use special "tags" that I purchased from Magellan's. The outside of the tag says "Here is my itinerary. Please remove & examine if my bag is misplaced." It is written in 10 different languages. There is a sleeve into which you put your itinerary. They have saved me several times.

http://www.magellans.com/store/Luggage___Luggage_Tags___IdentifiersLA311?Args=

I love Magellan's. They have a hand held scale that has saved me money 3 times now. The ticket agent says"your bag is heavy" and I respond that "it is under 50 lbs" and I know because I use the scale. I think I paid $10 for it but well worth it. Be sure to get the scale that maxes out at 75lbs because the 50lb scale won't tell you if you are over and how much you are over. Sorry for the OT but I really love Magellan's scale.

I love Magellan's. They have a hand held scale that has saved me money 3 times now. The ticket agent says"your bag is heavy" and I respond that "it is under 50 lbs" and I know because I use the scale. I think I paid $10 for it but well worth it. Be sure to get the scale that maxes out at 75lbs because the 50lb scale won't tell you if you are over and how much you are over. Sorry for the OT but I really love Magellan's scale.

Hadn't even considered the scales. Probably more accurate than the bathroom scales.

The other option (though NOT inexpensive) is to ship your belonging via FedEx or UPS. You get the tracking like a package, but air freight rates are not for the faint of heart. Especially for international shipments. Another example of cost/benefit analysis at work.

I do have a question in regards to connecting flights. What is the recommended time for connecting flights. We are leaving Sacramento and flying to Dallas, where we have 1 hr 20 minutes before we fly to Newark. This is on American and I realize that Dallas is the main hub for AA. I have been to the Dallas airport and AA's terminal is huge. Hopefully 1 hr 20 minutes will be sufficient hoping that there is no delays leaving from Sacramento.

Marilyn

I do have a question in regards to connecting flights. What is the recommended time for connecting flights. We are leaving Sacramento and flying to Dallas, where we have 1 hr 20 minutes before we fly to Newark. This is on American and I realize that Dallas is the main hub for AA. I have been to the Dallas airport and AA's terminal is huge. Hopefully 1 hr 20 minutes will be sufficient hoping that there is no delays leaving from Sacramento.

Marilyn

1 hour and 20 minutes is a perfect amount of time. It gives you time to get between gates even if you have to change terminals but you won't have to wait around too long for your next flight. I usually have a 50 minute connection in Dallas on AA and I always have to change terminals, but the new train system there makes it much easier. The flights to Dallas from California usually are early due to the tailwinds, my aunt's flight from LA yesterday landed almost an hour early.

I've been on a few domestic flights that had 35-40 mins. connecting time. If I remember from back in my travel school days, 30 mins. WAS the minimum (legal) connection allowance.

The minimum legal connection time varies depending on the airline and the airport.

Archived