new cruiser needs help

leonard1

Hi everyone! I am setting out on my first cruise with my sister beginning on Sept. 23 on the Carnival Glory, here's what I need...Help! All advice is welcomed for a first time cruiser. I have seen some of the packing lists and the like and am worried about packing too much. Then I have been going through the posts about things to bring and I am starting to stress out a bit. I live in Central Florida so at least I don't have to worry about air travel and hotel stays. We will be going on a 7 day, Western Carribean itinerary and have booked three excursions outside of the cruiseline. Dune buggy in Cozumel, cave tubing and zip line in Belize, and the ruins at Costa Maya (nothing planned for Nassau). Like I said any help, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated! :o

Congratulations! Take a deep breath...Often! You will have nervous excitemant no matter what so try to ride it out...it's part of the fun first cruise experiance. :) Don't try to do everything, take the time to stop and look around, take pictures and relax. If you have been reading these boards you probably have a ton of useful info already...keep reading.

I'm sure others will add their helpful hints. Have a wonderful time.

MAO

Your excursions sound great... did cave tubing in Belize this year .... in Nassau get a taxi and check out the Atlantis Hotel ... it is beautiful and you can walk through some of the aquariums and things for free....If you have time left over(like a few hours) in Cozumel take a taxi to Paradise Beach ... it is wonderful ... spend the rest of the day in Costa Maya at Majahual and get a massage....

Terri drove me nuts before our first cruise. She wanted everything to be perfect. The problem is, you need to slow down when smelling flowers. The first cruise came off perfect even with the added stress.

The excursions you have picked look great but my suggestion is that first time cruisers should book them through the cruise line. You may spend a little more but you also won't have to worry about con-artists and being left at the port as the ship sails.

I am leonard1 sister and just read post about being left hope that won't happen to us.

Just always keep your watch set on Ship Time and make sure you head back to the dock 1 hour before the ship sets to sail (since it takes time to tender back).

The time the ship leaves is printed in the Capers every day...so there should not be any problems. If you booked all your excursions through the ship, no worries..they will wait for you if there is any problems.

Hi everyone! I am setting out on my first cruise with my sister beginning on Sept. 23 on the Carnival Glory, here's what I need...Help! All advice is welcomed for a first time cruiser. I have seen some of the packing lists and the like and am worried about packing too much. Then I have been going through the posts about things to bring and I am starting to stress out a bit. I live in Central Florida so at least I don't have to worry about air travel and hotel stays. We will be going on a 7 day, Western Carribean itinerary and have booked three excursions outside of the cruiseline. Dune buggy in Cozumel, cave tubing and zip line in Belize, and the ruins at Costa Maya (nothing planned for Nassau). Like I said any help, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated! :o
Don't forget some carpet fresh and some febreeze to eliminate any odors from the last guests. Remember you can get room service anytime at no extra charge, just remember a small tip. Hit the dining room early if you want to miss the lousy singing acts by the waiting staff. Remember a good carry on bag to freshen up since your room will probably not be ready until later. Have a nice time!

Congrats on your first cruise....

That being said, I guarantee you will take too much stuff... Try to keep it simple. You don't need 6 pairs of shoes, 20 shirts, 10 pair of pants, 8 skirts, etc.....

I don't think it is necessary to pack bungee cords, power strips, over-the-door shoe bags, coolers, Lysol, bleach, air freshener and all that other stuff. If you find you need something aboard, either the purser's desk can provide it or you can always purchase it ashore.

What you need to do is pack things that you can get a couple of wears out of. Wear the same outfit for each formal night - nice black skirt or slacks with 2 dressy tops (believe me, nobody will notice or care), try to get 2 days out of your jeans, shorts, bring a pair of sandals, a pair of sneakers and a pair of low heeled or flat "dress" shoes that can be worn with your "formal" attire and other evenings in the dining room. If you sunbathe, you may want to bring 2 swimsuits. Pack simple T-shirts for the daytime and tops that don't need to be ironed.

It can be done....many here on these boards do it. I pack everything in a 22 inch roll-on-board and a small carry-on.

To quote an old but true wisdom: Take half the clothes and twice the money....

Most of all - have a great time and lets us know when you get back how it went......:p

Archived