Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I am traveling to Washington DC next week for sightseeing, then will go on to Baltimore for a conference. After I had already made my airline reservations, I started searching for a decent hotel in DC.

There wasn't a decent hotel to be found in the DC area for less than $250. Most of the economy hotels received either very poor ratings or were long distances from the Capital. I was freaked out thinking that I was going to be paying close to $600 for a decent hotel room for the DC portion of the trip.

Finally went onto Priceline and decide to try a bid of $100 for a 3 star hotel in downtown DC. It was accepted by the Phoenix Park Hotel, which is 2 blocks from the Capitol and 1/2 a block from Union Station. So my total cost for 2 nights is going to be $237 for a great hotel in a very good location. :p

I am now hooked on Priceline.

Anyone know what area of Miami I have to request to get near the port?

Port of Miami is considered in the "downtown" area of Miami. There are a couple of hotels within two miles of the Port that are listed under 100.00, but the reviews are almost uniformly awful! The MIA area is about 6-10 miles from the port. I booked three, 3 1/2 star rooms through hotwire in the "airport" area for 4/11/08 precruise for $89.00 plus $13.88 taxes/fees, and they were at the Sheraton Miami Mart. There is free airport shuttle service, and taxi fare to the port is about $24.00. We have seven people in our group. The Sheraton's cheapest internet rate on their site is $139,00.

We also got rooms back in Denver after our cruise through Hotwire at the Hilton Garden Inn for $36.00....Heck, I didn't even bother to check their online rates!

This is the first time I've used Hotwire, and I am very happy with our

lodging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got the courtyard by Mariott on the beach, FLL for my $100 bid. Had been bidding at $150 to160 for a 2 1/2 * with no success. Lowered it to a 2* and got this 2 1/2 * property. Go figure.

We have always stayed at the Amerisuites but the best we could get was $182 on value trips. No shuttles for the Mariott but cabs are quicker anyway.

Just got the courtyard by Mariott on the beach, FLL for my $100 bid. Had been bidding at $150 to160 for a 2 1/2 * with no success. Lowered it to a 2* and got this 2 1/2 * property. Go figure.

We have always stayed at the Amerisuites but the best we could get was $182 on value trips. No shuttles for the Mariott but cabs are quicker anyway.

We booked Amerisuites as our backup for $182 back in July, for our Pre-Cruise Feb 21-23. What zone did you bid for Mariott? Debbie

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I used Priceline for the first time (a little scary) and here's what I got:

2-29-08 1 night

Airport Miami 3 star

Bid $100.00

Ended up with Sheraton Miami Mart Hotel

with taxes and service fees total was $121.82

I was tired of trying to decide where to stay and reading conflicting reviews so I figured if we went with Priceline we'd be stuck with whatever they gave us and have to deal with it. I was very relieved that it was a Sheraton! :o

Courtyard by Marriot Fort Lauderdale Beach

2.5*

Had bid on 3* and 4* with no success so tried 2.5*. Should have bid a little lower, but got it for $105 for March 22, 2008. I thought that was pretty good considering it's right in the middle of spring break weeks!

Courtard By Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach

2 1/2 *

Friday , April 11

$ 76 plus $21.74 taxes and insurance = $97.74

I see they don't have a shuttle, does anyone have an idea how much a taxi ride is from Fort Lauderdale Airport?

How does it work with Priceline? (sorry I am new). If you put in for a bid do they give you a couple of options or do they just book you right away? What if you like something else better? Any chance to back out after you put the bid in?

We have a room reserved in Manhattan, The Belvedere, for 4 ppl/room at $315. per night and we are trying to find something more reasonable in the area. Which may or may not be possible.

I didn't notice any successful priceline bids for New York. Is there a reason for this?

How does it work with Priceline? (sorry I am new). If you put in for a bid do they give you a couple of options or do they just book you right away? What if you like something else better? Any chance to back out after you put the bid in?

We have a room reserved in Manhattan, The Belvedere, for 4 ppl/room at $315. per night and we are trying to find something more reasonable in the area. Which may or may not be possible.

I didn't notice any successful priceline bids for New York. Is there a reason for this?

You can see the hotels that would come up in the area you're looking for at www.biddingfortravel.com , check out the New York page and there should be sections that will tell you what hotels, if any, come up in that area.

It's important to know that it does book you right away if you try a priceline bid and your price is accepted. If you like something else better and you want to be guaranteed to get that place, you're better off booking it directly rather than take your chances. And you can't back out from your bid. It purchases your room with the credit card info you give it and you've got that room. With you having 4 people, do your research on the hotels and make sure they have rooms to accomodate 4 and if/when you win your bid, call the hotel and confirm and request a room with 2 double beds as with priceline your 'bid' only says you'll get a room to accomodate 2 people.

You can choose what star rating you want, so know your options going in before you bid and read up at that site on 'how' to bid. It avoids being stuck with a crappy hotel in a crappy area you didn't want.

Good luck!