Raising Our Fare (four threads combined into one)

bankerbabe

$20.00 a day?????

Is a "sugar mama" paying your way or did you use points?

LOL, no sugar plantations this far north nor ethenol plants.. just petrol refinereis south of here next to the kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill..

But you know that as you were a South Mountainer? Or was it second Mountainer in 07043 First MTN is 07042..;)

Yes, I agree it's time for a time out. The threads need to be unified just like the Alaska one as Hammy pointed out.

Once a topic gets emotional it's time to cool off especially for the uninvolved. These issues take time to resolve themselves. Hopefully the involved will keep us posted so that we can learn from their experience but I think we need to back off of giving them advice until more facts come out.

Rumors and gossip may be fun to participate in but they are not helpful to the ones involved. my two cents....

Can you see how many folks with cruises outside the alleged problem sailing dates are now worrying about their cruises? This is so unfortunate for all parties involved.

Just hoping Mr. R. Fox, the President of the T/Agency which looks like they have a problem.. hoping his E&O has enough coverages for them .... and the Space Shuttle too I have never heard of the things going on up there ..now today SPACE Debris floating by.. was it from a Cruise Ship in Old San Juan?

Imagine Mr Fox's increases in premuims now in E&O ... if he covers his mistakes well...

It will take about 18 months if litigation goes forward now...:eek:

I go on a cruise in Nov. and I keep checking the website to make sure the fare is still as low as I got. I called HAL to make my reservation so my balance doesn't show up on the HAL website but I think I will resist calling them to check the balance to verify 0.

Can't wait till this all plays out but it may take awhile.:rolleyes:

The agency wrote me a quick email saying they received the letter, but nothing has been done yet. I'll give them a week longer and then report the company to the proper authorities and send ALL of my documentation to HAL, as I am sure HAL would not want to be represented in this way. I truly hope this helps SOMEONE. [/i]

Mary, You know how badly we feel about the number your TA has pulled.

I don't think you are going to get the satisfaction you want and deserve by involving HAL. Travel agents are passenger agents, not agents for cruise lines, airlines, hotel or tours. Cruise lines have no authority over travel agents and are not responsible for errors, omissions or acts of fraud by travel agents. Complicating matters is that so many smaller agents use intermediaries to buy into blocks of cabins and may not even be dealing directly with a cruise line.

Having said all this, that they acknowledged your letter is a step in the right direction. Why not pop in or give your TA a call and find out what they plan to do. Or better yet, consider asking your Voyage of the Spammed Group to make a potty stop at the TA's office and introduce the Reverend. He has some muscle going for him that might influence the TA. I am only half joking here.

On 9/8 my father booked the Noordam on 3/21/07 for 10 days in balcony cabin 4136, with Vacations to Go. The total price for 2 was $1820.52 and $50 onboard credit. He received a confirmation from Vacations to Go.

Today(9/19) he received a copy of an E- mail from Holland America to Vacations to Go saying the price was an error. He could now have the cabin for $2800 with a $200 onboard credit.

Can they do this??

What can he do??

Thanks

I checked the price at your place of business and today the cost is $2,598 for a balcony. I also checked another site and they quoted $2,358 for the same cruise, balcony. Your original deal was the best. You have 2 choices IMO, call and grind on the place you are dealing or cancel if you still can. They could do better for you if I can get a cheaper quote online.

Just my opinion

Griswalds

No, I am sure they wouldn't.

And what I remember of the incident...was horrifying!! I was a teenager and all these people had copies of the ad and they were waving it in front of me. It was more like a mob scene! Of course, these people knew all along it was a printing error...but they ended up getting the item at the advertised price. It was ugly, but I somehow survived. :)

and speaking of a mob scene..................

LOL, no sugar plantations this far north nor ethenol plants.. just petrol refinereis south of here next to the kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill..

But you know that as you were a South Mountainer? Or was it second Mountainer in 07043 First MTN is 07042..;)

Now tell: how $20/diem or are you pulling our legs?

No, they can't. They can hit you up for additional fees (like the $50 charge Alaska is adding to each cruise passenger-or whatever the amount is), but they can't just charge you more because fuel costs or food prices have gone up.

Yes, they can!

"In the event of an increase in fuel or other costs above amounts projected, we have the right to increase the fare at any time up to Initial Departure and to require payment of the additional fare prior to Initial Departure. We have the right to refuse to transport you unless the additonal fare is paid. Within 7 days after you are notified of the additional fare (but no later than Initial Departure), you may elect to surrender this contract to us for cancellation, whereupon you will receive the Refund Amount. Cancellation fees do not apply to this type of refund."......an exerpt from the cruise contract.

In a word, they CAN, but I have NEVER heard of this happening.

One advantage of having a Boarding Pass issued is it is in hand.

On my RCL cruise which I mentioned just before .. I also had her FAX hard copy and a Payment paid sheet..which she did marked in her hand PAID in FULL.

I dealt directly with the Cruise Line on that booking.

It is a much larger ship too ... ... so having more cabins...

HAL is not Tech yet in the Boarding Passes etc.. that one I just mentioned is even BarCoded too..

Oh the agency I just booked and paid HAL cruise with they are having MASS IT problems in there eMail etc... and have there vendors working OT on it now tonight too... FAXing is sometimes better ..this time it is!

So yes Software does have problems and we as consumers do need protections.. the more all of us say is great then they hear us...

VZ:NYSE CAN YA HEAR ME NOW??:rolleyes:

We got a balcony on Zuiderdam October 2005 for $628 PP so it is not that unusual.

First of all, you are comparing apples to oranges. What you are paying is for a 7 day cruise during hurricane season. The OP should have smelled a rat when they were quoted a price of $910/pp for a 10 day cruise in a balcony cabin during the height of spring break.

But any knowledgeable TA should have recognized that this was a ridiculously low price and question it. HAL had a glitch in their computer system. It is what it is.

So if I check my price the day before I leave for NY and when I arrive at the dock after my 8 hour trip they can raise the price. Then what's the point of booking early and paying early so they can earn interest off of our payments and then Jack the price in the end.

The terms and conditons within all sailing contracts allow any cruise line to do this. The reality is cruise lines do not change prices willy-nilly.

The situation going on now is an anomoly.

This is an outrage!!!!

I too booked a cruise on the Noordam last week. As a matter of fact I booked a btb because the prices were so low!

I didn't book a veranda but got a great price on an OV. When I asked the online agent why the prices were so low...she told me they bought a big block of cabins. I didn't question it. I paid for both cruises in full!

I got a confirmation letter showing the booking # and price that I paid in full.

I didn't even know about this until I found this thread this evening. I went to check my emails to see if I got a letter...and sure enough I got one today.

The strange thing about this is that the prices were offered for at least 3 days. I saw the prices on Friday the 8th but didn't book or even inquire about them because I wondered if it was a mistake.

Then when they were still showing on Monday the 11th I called to verify the price and was told they were accurate. So I booked.

Something seems really fishy to me. I can understand mistakes happen...but for this to go on for 3 days and Holland America keeps accepting and confirming reservations at these prices. You mean to tell me that not one agent in those 3 days said hmmmmmmm this seems like a extremely low price for an 11 day cruise...I better make sure it's not a mistake.

I am so mad. I was sooo excited about this cruise. Even though it's 6 months away I have spent the last week researching my little heart out.

I don't know what I'm going to do...but I'm not going down without a fight!!!!!

Thanks for the heads up on this matter!

CaribbeanCrazy

Yes, they can!

"In the event of an increase in fuel or other costs above amounts projected, we have the right to increase the fare at any time up to Initial Departure and to require payment of the additional fare prior to Initial Departure. We have the right to refuse to transport you unless the additonal fare is paid. Within 7 days after you are notified of the additional fare (but no later than Initial Departure), you may elect to surrender this contract to us for cancellation, whereupon you will receive the Refund Amount. Cancellation fees do not apply to this type of refund."......an exerpt from the cruise contract.

In a word, they CAN, but I have NEVER heard of this happening.

When you say Initial Departure do you mean when I'm at the boarding gate, when I get my docs?

If any of you that paid in full and have your documentation that it "is" paid in full can always contact your State Attorney's office if you don't feel that you are getting any satisfaction. They all seem to like making big splashes in the press...especially in an election year.

That won't help us Canadians up here I'm just hoping my neighbors down south make enough noise so that Hal changes their minds.

Can you see how many folks with cruises outside the alleged problem sailing dates are now worrying about their cruises? This is so unfortunate for all parties involved.

For people who bought their tickets between the 6th of Sept - 12th Sept for cruises out of NY on the Noordam for dates from Jan - April then you need to check to see if you have a price increase if not then don't worry about it.

Now tell: how $20/diem or are you pulling our legs?

Isnt it great to be an American! A Garden Stater too.. are you rejoining us, soon down here, in the temerate world?

Thank goodness not the one which used to be behind Doug's , Inner Dimensions. Coins of the World was his too..

You know why they call the other Code, Green, 07043? Thats where the term going postal came from and it was Green who did it.. No not Mr. Lemon Green from Fette.

You must have some of the longest legs since your near the largest bodies of Fresh Water and where they had major Naval Engagements in the earlier Wars of 1812...

The answer is simple .. after months of calling and no responses, after there invitation to me, they agreed finally and did it.

So yes being tenacious like a terrier helps.

I should send you there invitation for CA they just sent me..

That won't help us Canadians up here I'm just hoping my neighbors down south make enough noise so that Hal changes their minds.

You in QUebec Province (La Belle) have to contact your M.P. there and tell them..

The W.C. in Den Haag not yet on this scale...:rolleyes:

Archived