A little off topic, but please read anyway.

RhodeIslandHopper

Hi All!

Nobody needs to respond to this thread, but I would like to ask a few things from each and every one of you.

I just logged on to check out prices for the DH and I. I noticed a thread where everyone was fighting, name calling and bashing. It was total chaos and I couldn't believe some of the things I was reading.

Please treat your fellow cruise critic members with the same amount of respect that you would treat anyone you would come across daily. Just because we are connected in cyber-world doesn't mean people don't have feelings.

People will come to cruise critic to voice their opinions. If you don't agree, do so politely. Don't mock someone for having a different opinion.

People will fly-by and make negative comments. Most are probably just angry about something and needed to vent. I'm sure we have all had days like this so please try to understand that someone else might be having this kind of day.

I would really like to put an end to the "Cheerleaders" and "Bashers" talk. It's not nice. Can it be stopped here?

To those of you who are branded "Cheerleaders", try to respect others opinions regarding cruises. We are all different; brought up in different households surrounded by different ways of life. Please understand that others may not like Princess as much as you do. As stated above, just let them give their opinions.

To those of you who are branded "Bashers", please don't come on the thread just to bash a cruise line or the loyal cruisers of that line. Explain your uncertainties and ask for help on how to avoid them in the future. There are many people on here who would be more than happy to help you.

Come on guys. We are all human. We have good days and bad days. Lets try to understand each other a bit and post on here for the sole purpose of helping out another potential or former cruiser. Is this too much to ask?

Thanks for reading. Have a great afternoon (or morning or evening, depending on what time of day you read this). :)

Well, I agree 100%. I'm accused of being one of those "cheerleaders". I think I try to be balanced and bring my own perspective to the discussion. Remember, there are always two sides, and disagreeing is not necessarily bashing, especially when it is clear that a complaint is based in inexperience or is mis-directed.

What a great post. Hopefully people keep responding to it because I think it should be kept at the top.

I wouldn't say that it's off topic. After reading that other thread (the same one that you read, I think:eek::eek: ), I would consider this legit.

You have a great afternoon as well!

I believe a lot of what you say has merit. I would like to add that sometimes, in the name of good fun, things can be written that are not meant the way that they are perceived and, in that regard; we should not take any of it "personally" and, jump on each other!!!!

I have been guilty, myself, of doing just that and to those who may have been offended by my "muck and mire" I humbly apologize!

With my head held high,

Roz

This was a really nice post to read.

I'm guilty of it too, and I apologize to anyone that I have offended. And I agree that things are taken out of context on here, sometimes very often.

I read your comment, RhodeIslandHopper--on that crazy board--about 9/11 and how we're all so bitter again. It's so true. My small town was hit so hard in the attacks, and if it has taught me anything, it's to be understanding of others and to always be kind, no matter the circumstances. I may not have shown that here on the boards.

Again, truly sorry.

J

Well, I agree 100%. I'm accused of being one of those "cheerleaders". I think I try to be balanced and bring my own perspective to the discussion. Remember, there are always two sides, and disagreeing is not necessarily bashing, especially when it is clear that a complaint is based in inexperience or is mis-directed.

From one cheerleader to another – thanks.

Thank you for posting this. I get a little nervous posting sometimes, although this particular board definitely isn't the scariest.

I would like to try all the different cruise lines, and I am sure there will be things that I like and dislike about each. Different people will always have different opinions which is wonderful, as long as they express them respectfully.

People will fly-by and make negative comments. Most are probably just angry about something and needed to vent. I'm sure we have all had days like this so please try to understand that someone else might be having this kind of day.
While most of what you say is very sensible, I don't think that this sort of venting has any place in an adults' message board, or indeed in any other adult discourse. Unreasonable rants get what they deserve.

While most of what you say is very sensible, I don't think that this sort of venting has any place in an adults' message board, or indeed in any other adult discourse. Unreasonable rants get what they deserve.

Perhaps you can find out the reason for their rant and help them fix the situation. We're all here for the same general reason, to discuss cruising. What good is this website if we can't help each other out? :)

It's very rare that a drive-by ranter wants to listen to anything other than full agreement with their hostile venting, still less positive help.

I think we can all distinguish these from the reasonable and rational posts expressing a problem and seeking ideas about how to deal with it.

As one of the so called "Cheerleaders" I agree..

Wow! Didn't realize how many posts this would encourage in such a short amount of time.

Global--Have you tried inquring with a person coming on to vent, politely? Then, when or if they repost with an answer (whether it be hostile or friendly), have you then responded with nothing but civility? If not, try it! It would make for a better thread than having arguing, insults, etc.

IMHO, the nicer you are, the more other people would recognize the venter's sour behavior.

...she does have a point.

Rhode Island Hopper, thanks for your optomistic outlook. I used to be scared to post on these boards because of the hostility.

As you can see, I've overcome my fear:p

JAD-I too was greatly affected by 9/11. You being in New canaan, I know you were too. I'm glad it's changed your outlook for the better. I have heard that cruising has changed a lot with security measures in the past 5 years.

Thank you RhodeIsland for this thread. Sometimes we have all done or said things that we should have not said. I do agree with most of your thread but like Globalizer said there are some people who just come on here to rile the troops and nothing that you say to them nicely will change their minds. This is a great board and I have learned a ton of things on this board. Hopefully I can help people with some of their questions. Again thanks for the thread.

Marilyn

What a beautiful world it would be - Let's hope that the ones who are usually the first to jump up to be cheerleaders, or defenders, or just people who like to join in with gusto, will be reading this thread.

In considering many of the threads which are full of sparks, they seem to follow the same scenario. The person who posts the negative remarks most often only wants to hear agreement, and will argue to the last stating their case over and over and over, regardless of how many people offer suggestions, or ideas about a solution. Thus, things can get testy.

We can all be polite, but when facing some situations, it becomes very challenging and our innate human nature takes over.

RhodeIslandHopper what a great suggestion.

We are all here for a reason, to share questions, give suggestions, and find information, exchange ideas, and submit feedback.

We must do it in a very pleasant way without personal attacks....Giving constructive critiquism as to not hurt anyone.

Sure, we all must respect the rules but sometimes we find ourselves getting caught in the heat of the moment.

Isn't it great that all of us have a chance to express our own view points?

But, nothing will change there will always be "Cheerleaders" and "Bashers".

If not, try it! It would make for a better thread than having arguing, insults, etc.

IMHO, the nicer you are, the more other people would recognize the venter's sour behavior.

I've been knocking around Internet BBs long enough to have tried all sorts of approaches, here and elsewhere. In almost all cases, nothing makes any difference. The venter is not trying to engage anyone in dialogue, reasoned or unreasoned, but just wanting to sound off in an immoderate fashion. We all recognise these posts when they appear. No foil is needed to highlight sour or otherwise inappropriate words. Personally, I think that such posts neither deserve nor warrant any excuses, not even "I'm having one of those days". IMHO, such venting simply has no place on the boards.

Otherwise, as I said, I agree with your post.

Thanks for this post. There have been times that I tried (and failed) not to defend myself and others here from personal attacks. Recently, I have tried to keep to the topic at hand but it really is terrible when people use this to make deliberately hurtful comments.

Most of the time people are describing situations or are relaying information- they certainly shouldn't be scoulded or attacked.

Fortuneately, there are only a few people on these boards that do that- but when they do- it is really ugly.

Excellent post and I agree. One-hit wonders are one thing (and why engage them, anyway), but it would be nice if genuine people with genuine complaints or questions could voice it and get rational response. If you can't respond in a helpful way, just pass on by.

I've said this before and it bears repeating....on my Grand cruise, I was helped tremendously by people who posted about the tendering problems in Cayman last December. If they hadn't complained (and taken a beating for it), we wouldn't have known to get in line an hour early for tender tickets. Too many passengers never got off the ship that day and we likely would have been in the same boat without the forewarning. I appreciated it. There were other complaints that helped us too, and others that really didn't apply. Just use the information you need and toss the rest.

This is a great thread.

Most of are here on this board are planning for our vacation and looking forward to a wonderful time on our vacation not to start a war and ruin our vacation.

One thing I noticed from this board is that either it's going to help you plan your vacation or it can ruin your vacation by other people jump all over you and against you on this board because you know that some of them may be on the same sailings as you are.

Come on everyone, its vacation time let's be happy, be positive help one another because literally speaking we are going to be on the same boat (well some of us are), so please be kind to one another as we are on the same boat just as as we are on the same cruise critic web site.

Archived