Traveling with a 2.95 year old!

Ethel5

My daughter and her DH and their not quite 3 year old daughter would like to do the 10 night Regal Princess cruise out of SFO in May 2005. The problem is that the child doesn't turn 3 until 6/8 and the cruise starts 5/18. Will they allow her in the kid's center if she is short of 3 by 25 days? If not, what does one do with a young kid besides boiling them in oil?

Dear Ethel,

I have 3 grown children (33, 28, and 24), and although each of them was a perfect little angel (ahem!) I would rather have had root canal than take any one of them on a 10 day cruise when they were 2.95 years old!

My advice is either:

1. let grandma watch the darling child, or

2. postpone this dream curise until the little cherub is older

Good luck with this one,

lunamoon

Princess is strict with age requirements - she will not be allowed to go to kids' program alone. She is welcome to use the facility as long as a parent is present and supervising.

I just don't understand why this has to be sooo difficult. Unless this child is used to trained elephants entertaining her and has servents at her beck and call 24/7 why would she be bored on a cruise. Her life is essentially the same just in a different environment. You pack some toys and snacks and go on vacation. However, if mom and dad are expecting to be able to kick back and lay around during this trip, well I can tell you from experience that ain't gonna happen. What ever they do with their daughter at home to entertain her should work just as well at sea.

If they have not travelled with her previously I highly recommend they do a couple of three day trips in hotels to see how she adjusts. We have always travelled with our son and he is used to sleeping in different places and in different climates. I would strongly urge they test out her temperament on land prior to booking an expensive cruise. Or better yet, perhaps they can do a 2 or 3 day cruise with her to see how she likes it. Good luck.

Archived