Traveling with a 2.95 year old!

Ethel5

My daughter and her DH and their not quite 3 year old daughter would like to do the 10 night Regal Princess cruise out of SFO in May 2005. The problem is that the child doesn't turn 3 until 6/8 and the cruise starts 5/18. Will they allow her in the kid's center if she is short of 3 by 25 days? If not, what does one do with a young kid besides boiling them in oil?

On the Alaska cruise we were on the kids brought grandma and grandpa along. OK, I dont know who brought whom, but the grandkid was with grandma and grandpa every evening walking around the deck while mom and dad were ???. I didnt even know mom and dad were on the ship until I happened to see them in some pictures together. I thought that grandma and grandpa had just brought the little one with them. The kid got to spend some quality vacation time with the grandparents while mom and dad were close by if needed and they got some time by themselves as well. I'm sure the kid had a blast. She always had a big smile on her face as well.

Dont you need a vacation Ethel? Its getting a little hot this week isnt it? Wouldnt it be great to spend pool time with the little one?

I don't have the definite answer to your question but I do know that potty training is a big issue. If the grandchild was potty trained completely and 2.95 years old maybe you would have some luck with the staff.

I know I read that they are pretty strict about the age ranges and have read about people who have tried to have their child moved to the next age range when they were close. Some report success, others say they wouldn't budge.

Best of luck!!

I guess I should have said that I'm already booked for this cruise and I'm trying to get the DD and her family to come with us. I don't mind babysitting on board but my daughter doesn't want me to babysit on my vacation.

TADJR-Yes Tampa is getting HOT. The nest cruise is in October on the Sun Princess. I lost over 450 posts when they changed to the new boards as well as my countdown clock.

I have no personal knowledge in this area - but I believe you need to bring the child's birth certificate for ID purposes and that is what the ship's crew uses to place them into groups. They will know right away that she is not 3. I have read conflicting reports as to how strict they are, maybe you will get lucky!

Also on Princess - I thought they were no "official" children's programs if there were not a certain number of children on board. Maybe you should first confirm if they plan on having a program that week at all. Going in May - kids are still in school, there may not be enough children on board for them to have a program. That might answer your question for you.

Good Luck!!!!!

We cruised 5? 6? times before our daughter was 3, and what we did was accompany her to the Kid's Center and stay there with her. Hubby and I took turns doing this. From what I have read on this and other cruise boards, you, the parent are welcome to use the chldren's facilities but you must be with your child at all times, and actively watching your child (although I would bring a book and sit on the floor and read while daughter entertained herself with Legos, etc.

• 2 months later...
I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe your daughter is trying to politely tell you that she doesn't want to share a vacation. Happy Sailing!
Since you had to reach all the way back to 7/11 to read this post, I must assume your sole intent was to micturate in the punch bowl. :(

As far as the family dynamics go, my DD booked the cruise the next day as we get to see each other only twice a year. Thanks for your "concern".:rolleyes:

You know even if the little one isn't allowed into the childrens program you will still all have fun. If you were taking a land vacation together there would not be a childrens program.....our son was not interested in the childrens program on our first cruise and we all had a blast. Just try to stay on the regular sleep and nap schedule and you will all have lots of fun....oh and I would avoid excursions....if the little one decides to pitch a big one you may not have a direct path of escape. Better to go exploring on your own so you can go back to the ship whenever you want to. ;)

their age rule is very strict. Unless she is 3YO by the time she's cruising, she'll not be allowed in the kids' club unless an adult accompanies her there.

Basically, you can't leave her there and go off on your own. There is a ball pit and lots of playdoh, legos, puzzles and board games available to play. It's something to do for the young child. Princess is good that way--allowing kids not old enough to enter the kids' club. Royal Caribbean doesn't even allow kids in the room if they are not old enough (even if parents are with them). So on Princess, you can go in the 3-5 kids' zone with your not yet 3YO, but you have to stay there with her. My sister took her 2YO to the kids' club everyday just to play in the ball pit.

My 3YO did not have preschool experience prior to boarding, so she did not want to be left alone in the kid's club. So I ended up having her with me the entire cruise, but I didn't mind it. I wouldn't have her come along with me if I minded having her with me.

My kids enjoy eating in the dining rooms and buffets, going to shows and getting dressed for formal nights.

I don't have anyone to leave my kids with at home, so I take them on all family vacations. Besides, what's a family vacation without your children?!

Princess is very good at catering to adults and children. If your child is still eating baby food, you can request baby food and Princess will provide them.

Kids that are not potty-trained are not allowed on Princess' pools, not even in swimming diapers. Disney is the only cruiseline that allow children of all ages in their pools.

Even so, I highly recommend Princess if you would like to cruise with your children.

Your daughter might as well take advantage of the low-season fares now because once her daughter starts school, she won't be able to enjoy travelling during the low seasons.

HTH.

I don't even know why I am responding since I have gotten a little beat up today for my thoughts but here it goes. My sons are 3 and 6. They have been on 3 Disney Magic cruises and 2 Carnival. I have not taken them on Princess but hope to once my husband returns from Iraq.

I can tell you on Disney they are very strict on the age. I know many people that have tried to get them to bend the rules and it did not work. I also know several people who children turned the "needed age" during the cruise or within days and they relented. This is also the case on RCCL.

I know you asked about Princess and since I have only sailed Princess one time and without my sons I can not give you an more educated guess. My sons are very well behaved and I have always received compliments on their behavior but I have experience the out of control children and parents.

My boys love to cruise. They mind their manners and they get a fun and educational experience to boot. Not all children sailing are ill behaved.

My 3 year old had never been in preschool until this past month so on each of our cruises even though I potty trained him early he did not want to go to the kids clubs on Disney of Carnival. My now 6 year old liked to go for specific events but is not one of the children who stays there all day.

I have learned most cruiselines will let you go into the play areas with your child and stay with them to use the toys or indoor play grounds which is a nice change of scenary.

I have found by being mindful of those who do not want the children around and making sure my sons know their behavior is a reflection on us their parents cruising has been great for our family!

Good luck and have fun!

DC

Ethel, it might be a good idea for all concerned if you could wait until the child is a little older before she cruises. She won't be allowed in the children's program, and unless you are all prepared for 24/7 baby sitting, it may be better to go with dd and family another time. Princess is very strict about the age limit. They have an age cut-off and they must stick by that otherwise there would be exceptions all over the place.

Ethel, it might be a good idea for all concerned if you could wait until the child is a little older before she cruises. She won't be allowed in the children's program, and unless you are all prepared for 24/7 baby sitting, it may be better to go with dd and family another time. Princess is very strict about the age limit. They have an age cut-off and they must stick by that otherwise there would be exceptions all over the place.

I must respectfully disagree with the waiting idea. The child does not need a childrens program to keep her happy. I don't know for certain but I doubt at this childs home that there are staff entertaining her 24 hours a day. I don't consider spending 24 hours with my son "babysitting" and I would hope this little ones parents don't either. Travelling with your children can be a wonderful experience. They do not need to be handed off to some program in order for everyone to have fun.

We have taken by boys on several cruisers starting when my youngest was only 16 months. They never use the kids programs :( but it is family time and all but 1 of the cruisers extended family has been along.

My oldest will attend a specific event but then have me paged or I arrange to go back down. After all it is a family vacation!

Make sure to choose a ship and cabin that has the space and activities to accomodate a family. Most children mostly little ones are great. It is the tone and mood the parents sets. Where I have seen the problem on ALL lines we have cruised is when parents think it is ok to let a 10 year watch his 5 younger siblings and cousins and they roam the ship (running up and down the halls and stairs and playing in the elevators) I always wonder what the heck those parents are thinking. We are in the middle of the ocean, chester the molester could be on this floating resort no to mention the potential dangers.

As I have said when we cruise it is almost always with Grandparents and Aunts and such and my boys have had a blast. Just go prepared with beach toys, and little toys to play with in the cabin or during quiet times. Also, take a little book, quiet toy or coloring book to dinner. Some cruiselines have the coloring books but it makes the wait easier and it is helpful to your fellow diners.

I have the traveling with young children cruising or air and land vacations down pat. I would be glad to give info you need.

Some parents aka because of their parents give us a bad name but if the child has been brought up with manners and the parents is prepared on the vacation it is a great time for all. Don't wait go and enjoy. If you wanted a babysitter 24/7 then take a Nanny or wait but if you want a fun and educational family experience have fun.

My sister is great with photography and then turns them into a DVD with music and it is a virtual photo album my boys can watch for years to come. We had to cancel our annual October Disney Magic cruise because my Dad just had surgery for prostate cancer. God willing he will be fine but the recovery is long. We sure do value the cruises we have done the last few years and memories we have to get us through.

DC

NCL's child program starts at 2. Maybe you should consider that as an alternative. As far as leaving the child at home, its your child and you should do what you feel appropriate not the rants of some of the anti-child few who always seem to have the same comment "NO" leave them at home. They were children too(believe it or not) and where either left at home or dropped so often that they seem to have the same response...

http://www.ncl.com/more/kidscrew_mini.htm

BTW the answer to the question will they take the almost 3 year old is probably not for two reasons. The insurance they have says three year old and if something happened, the crew member who allowed it would be in a lot of trouble. Sometimes people bend the rules but you can't count on it.

Thanks to all of you with positive responses! To 1cruiselvr, I am sorry I came of harsh, but after reading all the negative posts, I could not deal with another. Ya might think I said I was bringing Quasi Moto with the plague on board!!:D

We are taking the 2.95 and a 10 yr old to Alaska on the Regal. We will arrange to do split shore excursions so the DD and her hubby go in the am and then we will do something in the afternoon-sort of a kid swap thing. Both kids are well behaved and we are prepared to leave the dining room if the little one gets restless. She is already mostly potty trained and the cruise isn't until next May so no problem there.

Thanks again for being positive and sharing your experiences.

I must respectfully disagree with the waiting idea. The child does not need a childrens program to keep her happy. I don't know for certain but I doubt at this childs home that there are staff entertaining her 24 hours a day. I don't consider spending 24 hours with my son "babysitting" and I would hope this little ones parents don't either. Travelling with your children can be a wonderful experience. They do not need to be handed off to some program in order for everyone to have fun.
I agree with dosi 100%.

Our son went on three cruises with us before he was old enough for the kids' program. Even today, at the age of 11, he enjoys spending time with us on the ship. Like Disneycruiser#1, who gave excellent advice above, we consider cruising to be a family vacation and have had some wonderful memories over the years.

Some additional tips you might find helpful:

• Prepare your daughter for the long dining room meals by practicing at home. Start out with diners and work your way "up" to nicer places
  • In the dining room, order an appetizer for your daughter. Otherwise, her meal will be brought out well before yours and she might be ready to leave while you're in the middle of your entree
  • Bring childrens medications. These are sometimes hard to find in port or on the ship, and are expensive if you do find them

Any questions, please let me know.

Aside to Disneycruiser#1: best wishes to your dad for a speedy recuperation

Archived