Planning Process - Half the Fun!!!

JanetMarie

I am considered the planner in my family. Next January, there are nine of us going on the Mariner. We have decided to do a scavenger hunt on board, so,now there will be more planning for me!

I was one who made a three ring binder for my last cruise. My best friend and I went last year. I made a binder for each of us with a page designated for each day of the cruise. We made ourselves sit out on the balcony in our jammies before going to bed each night and writing in it about our day. I still enjoy looking through it. There are so many things that you do on a cruise that it's easy to forget some things. This is a great way to remember everything, right down to the names of the dishes you had for dinner. I put picture pages with each page so we have pics that go with each day.

Just to annoy family and friends, I made a cruise cd and played it for about six months before the cruise. It got me in the mood each time.

This time, I will plan the little extra things, but, except for shore excursions, I am not planning out the days. I want to just relax. I don't want to get upset because I didn't get to do something that is on my list.

I do this with every trip we take, whether it's a cruise, going to Disney, or to a Nascar race. It makes the anticipation greater!

Again, glad to hear that I am not the only one! My 3 day Disney Cruise is about 3 weeks away, and I have planned, researched, and made all the lists I can possibly make! The other day, I saw a man with a t-shirt from Alaska, and he told me about the summer solstice. Now this is my new goal - an Alaskan Cruise for 6/05. I told my hubby that is what I want for my birthday. I called my travel agent and told her to call my hubby and remind him what I want for my birthday. I went to the library and got out travel books on cruising Alaska.

This is nuts, huh?

Is this a girls only thread?

I totally agree! Half the fun, of any holiday, is the planning and preparation.

I live for my holidays (or vacations!!!) much to my wife's despair.

As incidental reading matter, I often take along holiday brochures and books pertaining to our next break...drives her nuts!!!

This is our second cruise, the first on a real cruise ship, and these boards have been a godsend.

Only thing is, its a total surprise for her, so all my research is being done at work, also, all the tickets are being sent here as well, just hope I can keep it quiet till November!!:D

15 pairs of shoes!!

Yes I know its a joke, but I'm sure there are some women out there saying "15 to 20 pairs should be sufficient!"

WHAT?...c'mon girls I'm only joking :D :D

Buddy ~ welcome!

I'm not sure about the 15 pairs of shoes. Gosh!!! :eek: For me, I take a pair of my Birkies, my Ryka running sneaks, pool sandles, black evening shoes, and another pair of "daytime" low heeled shoes. Oh, slippers, too.

The Planning Process is simply half the fun. I totally "hear" what you are saying about planning for the NEXT ;) vaca while on a current one. I do, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi gang ~

Does anyone feel like I do, that the planning process, the list making, the shopping, etc. is all a part of the fun process of cruising? While the cruise itself is absolutely awesome ;), for me, I find that the months of planning your clothes or even which airline to fly, are fun. For the ladies on the board, I know that you can relate to the various lists ;) that we create. Also, when we return from cruising, the process begins again for me. We scour through the brochures and decide on our next cruise, and hence, the "planning" begins. It also helps to minimize the little bit of depression that sets in when you disembark the ship, only to return to cold New England.

I believe that is one of the most exciting parts of a vacation....The anticipation! The dreaming and imagining when you are one every day until you actually board the boat.

I enjoy the planning so much, and I agree that it really helps curb the post cruise depression! I started planning July 2005 right before we left on our July 2004! I too check all the ports, and what to do way ahead of time. I also am a great list maker! :)

I have made pre-cruise friends on the message boards for my cruise, and I have already started planning my next cruise, Alaska in 2005.

I like to add a pre-cruise excursion, if possible. We are headed for Universal Studios the day before our 3 day Disney Cruise. A post cruise excursion would have been nice too.

Count down til vacation: This weekend: Do hair, wash, fix and try on clothes, pack; Monday, mother-daughter manicure- pedicure; Tues. depart; Wed. do the pre-trip excursion to Universal; Thurs-Sun. Disney Cruise; next monday, book next cruise!

BON VOYAGE EVERYBODY!

I definitely agree!! My husband gave me my cruise as a Christmas present last year & October sounded sooo far away! About a month ago, I decided to start some investigating on this cruise thing & I found this board. Since then, I've been hooked!! :D

I've found so much info here, didn't realize how much I didn't know! Now that I've actually started planning, I can't wait to go! It really seems to help the time pass & I've watched my countdown clock go from 84 to 53 days! I check the boards every day & I also found a web cam in Galveston. Last Sunday I watched the Elation leave-pretty bad, huh?!? (Hope they're dealing with the tropical storms okay!)

This cruise is with 2 friends, but now I'm working on DH to plan a cruise for us so I have something to plan when I get back & don't have to experience too much post-cruise depression!!

Thanks for all the info guys!

Ronna

I read somewhere that someone had a 3 ring binder with dividers all marked out for different aspects of their cruise ie: precruise, hotel, excursions, etc. and I thought, "oh i'll never get that bad"..........well guess who just a bought a giant 3ring binder and all the dividers.

Oh, this is soooooo me! :D We aren't sailing until Jan. 2005, but my notebook is already jam packed with all kinds of info regarding our cruise - the ship, ports, pre/post cruise, etc.! This will be our first cruise.

In the beginning, my bf called me Clark Grizwald, but was so quick to offer "THE NOTEBOOK" to the other couples on our couples cruise. At first, everyone laughed at me and thought I was nuts, but now, whenever we all get together for BBQs or poker nights, "THE NOTEBOOK" always goes as well. At least 5 people call to remind me to bring it every single time, I kid you not! Now, I guess I have the last laugh!! Hahahaha! :p I can't wait until we are finally on the cruise.

My gal pals & I are all booked to go on a cruise in Oct. 2005. Although, I haven't bought a notebook to start for this cruise, I have been gathering all kinds of info for it as well! I am sick, sick, sick!! :p

It is comfort to know I am NOT the only one! WHEW!!

Happy sailing,

T.

I am the travel planner for my family! For the past 8 years I have organized cruises and trips abroad for various numbers of family members. Sometimes as many as 11 and sometimes as few as 3. the cruises we are usually a large group but I cut it down if we are travelling overseas by land.

When on our cruise I usually talk to the ships cruise consultant about various future itineraries that I am interested in and I find out what my group thinks might be a good area to cruise in next.

As soon as I get home from a cruise I start haunting the web to find a good deal + an itinerary with dates that fit my group. I call my local TA and tell her what I am interested in.

When I find a good deal on an itinerary that I like I call all of my group to see who is in then make all the reservations.

I make lists - check prices - find shore excursions in all of the various ports and then contant the whole group to find out who wants to do what and book all the private shore excursions correctly. Of course I only do this after I have researched the port to see what historical or natural attractions that port has for us to enjoy.

I make a list of who is in what cabin for everyone.

I make sure we are all seated together on the 2nd seating in the dinning room. Then each night we all get together in my Dad's cabin for a cocktail party. you'd be surprised how many people can fit in one of those small cabins for a party!!! Of course I have to slave all day getting the food ready for the cocktail hour :>:>:> (really wearing on my finger to dial room service each evening) It is always the joke of our group - what did Ann find for nibblies for the cocktail hour tonight.

Everyone in my group too thinks I work too hard on this and although I spend a lot of time I enjoy every minute of it.

This year we are doing our first B2B to South America so my group is small only 6 for the B2B and 8 for the second cruise - now one of my usual couples has changed their minds and would like to come but unfortunately the cruise is SOLD OUT and they are not even taking names for a wait list.

The first cruise I put a group together for was many years ago and there were 6 of us. But I really got into this only 5 years ago with a cruise to the Panama; then to Hawaii for 11; followed by a cruise to the Southern Carribean for 11; and a northwest pacific coast cruise for 8.

Having a group is always fun as we get together and share stories of our day - take pictures of each other and share these as well.

the real benefit is that there are always enough of us to make a private shore excursion possible in everyport.

I am always sad when I book my final tour and finish apying for the cruise as it means that I have no more planning to do.

Loved your idea of a monthly cruise theme dinner - unfortunately my group is spread out over North America ranging from coast to coast and from north to south so that won't work for us.

Ann

Hi Guys My Dh always teases and calls me the " tour director" and is now, since I've found these boards, asking " what are you reading all night" But for me the planning is so much fun. we always travel in a group and somehow i'm always elected a tour guide. This is our 5th cruise and I never knew there was so much info to be found here. I am having a ball and even managed to thrill my DH when I found the posting for the two fers on the beer helmets.:D You never know what you're going to find here, isn't it great!!!!!

And the other thing that I also find exciting is reading about the other people and their planning escapdes. I pick something up from each and every one of you, and it makes the planning process even more fun! Thanks for sharing! ;)

What a great site......makes me feel like I'm not the ONLY one. My husband teases me too, but then is the first to ask 'did you learn anything new today?' I started out by booking this next cruise for us, then one other couple, then another and then one of my clients. I love searching for the "deals". My client booked because he said he had looked and couldn't find the deal that I did. Said he guessed that was why I was his Accountant and not viceversa :) . Well the ink wasn't even dry on this cruise when I found a great one for 2005. So far have booked it for us, and 3 other couples.

Mahreeeya you might want to look into this one....9/16/05 Celebrity Summit 14 night Alaska repositioning cruise.

Keep the great ideas coming....I love to learn new stuff! 28_1_14.gif

I wanted to share a ritual that I "plan" for my DH on our cruises. I think of a theme and since I have this expanded imagination, I decorate our cabin one night in the theme. We have dinner on our balcony, and DH is always quick to comment on how I've "outdone" myself from the previous cruise. It's kind of a silly ol' romantic thing that I do. The "theme" could be a paradise one or it could be one that funny, like decorating with Disney stuff. And since I scrapbook, it makes it easier, too. ;)Plus, not to mention, our steward always gets a kick out of my room decorating.

. After It was decided that each couple, on a monthly rotating basis, would host a cruise themed gathering on the day of the month the ship was to depart.

QUOTE]

we sailed last december with 2 other couples to the sea of cortes and we did the same thing --monthly dinner with each couple making a presentation on something for the cruise ---packing etc etc we even got silly and i gave out topics to rereported on such as the azipod engines, diesel over steam and the like---the reports were hysterical because they were all made up but they stuck to the topic ---when we finally sailed the trip was the fantastic culmanation of many fun evenings

i am the planner for the family and for anyone else travelling with me --also coordinate the sail away party with anyone i can find on a cruise board

currently have on the books and i did all the planning -hotels -air etc

trip to new mexico with another couple

weekend in san francisco

weekend at the oregon coast

12 daygalaxy sail

5 friends and I have been planning our December Cruise on the Conquest since December 2003. We are often on the yahoo I'm going over everthing we have learned from the boards, shore tours, packing, cloths. We will be traveling for 6 different states meeting 2 days ahead of departure in New Orleans.

Yes, planning is half of the fun. I have an expandable folder with dividers. Have a Tab for flight information, Carnival information, New Orleans and each port. Then there is the list of hints from the boards.

Just counting the days and still planning.

I agree. I think that part of the vacation is planning the vacation itself. It's a way to keep your spirits up, learn new things, even make new friends. Looking towards the future is a great way to have a positive outlook on life.

I am happy that my DF is happy to let me do everything for the trip. He helps if I ask, but otherwise, he just trusts that it will all happen as it should. *smile* Since I have cruised before (he hasn't), and it's our honeymoon, I keep my eyes and ears open for all advice I can to make the trip that much more enjoyable for him. We still have tons of time before we leave in March 2005, but I find myself coming on here all the time now to see if I've gotten any replies or if I can give any advice to others.

I think I inherited this 'gene' from my father. Whenever we would travel as a family, he was the one reading the brochures/books and asking others all the questions. Now, I have taken over that roll. Even my mom came to expect it - when we went on a Panama Canal cruise together, every morning she would just get up and get ready and then ask, "So, what are we doing today?" And she let me lead her all over the ship and we took part in all kinds of activities - she helped pick the excursions. I guess some of have 'it' and some of us are just happy that 'we' have 'it'. :D

Cheers

Tanya

Lougee: I like what you and your group of friends do each month - good idea and plan! ;)

And don't forget about "planning" your next trip when you return. It sort of keeps the fun going once you disembark. Knowing that you can go home to your computer and begin scouring the sites and talking about what you did and didn't like about your recent vaca, is really fun to do, too. :)

OH! reading all of the responses was so comforting! my hubby thought I was the only one on the face of this earth that planned like the folks who responded planned! and to add to what everyone else provided...I actually make out index cards with our itinerary and what to wear for each event. all hubby has to do is look at the card and know what to put on! and believe it or not...it does help with packing. of course my friends think I'm sick! but guess what...I'm taking two of them on their very first cruise and they just handed over ever detail to me! to fellow planners! let's UNITE! we are not alone! YEA!!!

Where and what did you hear about the Alaska repositioning cruise? Just got back from the Disney cruise; had the greatest time! My niece was a joy to be with. She kept saying "This is the LIFE!" Ain't that the truth!

If it's the Alaska Repositioning cruise you are interested in hearing about, well here goes.....

It is on the Celebrity Summit. Leaves VanCouver on 9/16/05 and does Alaska. Inside passage, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Sitka, Inside Passage, Victoria BC, Seattle Washington, San Francisco, Catalina Island and end in San Diego 9/30/05. They also have one in May leaving CA to Alaska.

Hope that helps. 3_3_11v.gif

Since I'm one of the those organized type people... LOL I keep an Excel spreadsheet of what I need to pack for a cruise and always keep it on file for the next cruise. I keep a separate list with the clothes for my DH/myself and divide it up into sections (formal, pants, shirts, shorts, etc.) so I know what I'm packing. I also do research on the ports on what to do other than the ship excursions if we feel like venturing on our own. The fun part is SHOPPING! For some reason I always have to buy something new to wear on the cruise... LOL This year is black dress shoes and a gown that I was able to purchase for $15 which is gorgeous. Like I need another pair of shoes or a gown but it's part of the fun.

The joke this year is that I'm woking on the cruise this month and planning our 10th anniversary cruise for next year. We will be renewing our vowels and I'll be wearing my wedding gown again. I'm already excited about the cruise in 2005 and haven't gone on this one yet. LOL Definitely keeps me busy but it's great.