The more I read, the more confused I get... Questions!

scgirl816

How do you decide what to do at each port of call? I don't think I want to buy shore excursions. But I don't know if, as first-timers, that's the best thing to do. We don't want to spend too much money. Definitely relax at the beach and maybe catch a little snorkeling...I haven't been since Puerto Rico 10+ years ago. I have a few questions if you don't mind. I've been looking and looking on here, but the more I read, the more confused I get!

Is it better to go from shore or boat?

Is everything still messed up from last year's hurricane?

We'd like to go shopping, spend time at the beach, and snorkel...where is best for this distance-wise and price-wise?

Thanks for being patient with a clueless first time cruiser!

Rebekah

If you are talking about Cozumel, a good place to snorkel is Chankanaab. It is just a short taxi rde from the pier. I think admission is $16 now...I read somewhere on here that it was 2 for 1.....I don't know if it still is. We plan to shop first...then head to Chankanaab.

How do you decide what to do at each port of call? I don't think I want to buy shore excursions. But I don't know if, as first-timers, that's the best thing to do. We don't want to spend too much money. Definitely relax at the beach and maybe catch a little snorkeling...I haven't been since Puerto Rico 10+ years ago. I have a few questions if you don't mind. I've been looking and looking on here, but the more I read, the more confused I get!

We'd like to go shopping, spend time at the beach, and snorkel...where is best for this distance-wise and price-wise?

Rebekah

If you're talking about Cozumel there are plenty of good, inexpensive options.

As for the good beach/good snorkeling thing, you may have to decide which is more important. The nice sandy beaches aren't the best snorkeling spots. We've been shore snorkeling at Dzul Ha numerous times and it was great but that was pre-hurricane. We've been back once since. Didn't snorkel but the damage was very evident. Everything I've heard is that shore snorkeling isn't what it once was. It may be OK for you. Just depends on you're expectations.

Other options are Playa Uvas, Paradise/San Francisco Beach, Playa Palancar.

The off-shore reefs are still pretty good from what I understand so if good snorkeling is a priority you might want to go that route. Really you could do both. Taxis are easy to find and pretty inexpensive. You could snorkel and then taxi to another nice sandy beach for much less than a ship sponsored excursion.

As for other ports, this board is the best resource for information. Just make sure to use common sense and give yourself plenty of time to get back to your ship and you'll be fine.

Rebekah

Hi Rebekak,

Since you are on the Fantasy, in Cozumel. We probably will be tendering to the Puerta Maya pier. There is a shopping village there that you have to walk through to get to the taxi stand. You can go to Paradise Beach for about a $12-14 taxi ride. http://www.paradisecozumel.com

As far as snorkeling, it is best to take a boat/catamaran as Wilma did a lot of damage to the in shore areas. You can take a catamaran/snorkeling tour at Paradise for $35pp that will take you to areas that are in better shape.

You should still have plenty of time to get some shopping in.

Dave

I also agree it is easier for us to help if you give us more information.

Again, if you are specifically asking about Cozumel since your thread is here..... our first trip we really just checked out the shopping and had a nice lobster lunch.....but we were with my mil/fil and she was in a wheelchair due to a bad knee (she has since had replaced)

this trip will be my daughter (29) and myself (50) and we too just want a beach and a snorkle.... after much research since I am an obsessive planner - we are taking a taxi to Paradise Beach. At the pier there they have 2 hr. snorkle trips aboard a large catamaran that go out to Palancar and Columbia reefs which are supposed to be really nice. Less damage to those than the ones close to shore. It is $35.00 per person for 2 hours (12:30 - 2:30) and includes margaritas afterwards :D see the website at www.paradisecozumel.com You should reserve a spot for the snorkle tour ahead of time....just email them. The beach is free if you get food and drinks and has beach toys available as well.

The beach is free if you get food and drinks and has beach toys available as well.

True, there is no entrance fee to Paradise Beach, but you do have to buy an $8 bracelet in order to use the water trampoline, climbing ice burg and kayaks.

And P.S. The food there is GREAT! And say "Hi" to Paradise Beach Tom while you're there!!

Yes, I was referring to Cozumel. Thanks for all the info so far! We will be on Carnival Fantasy 10/30. Cozumel and Costa Maya.

From everything I've read so far, I thought it might be best for us to maybe either rent a golf cart at C.M. or get a taxi to the town nearby (I can't remember the name) and do our own thing for the time that we're there. We heard about the Mayan ruins, but I think we've decided that we'd rather spend the money on snorkeling/beach things (we are a group of four...two couples).

Then spend $ at Cozumel (will be there longer) to go snorkeling, maybe kayak. I found Playa Uvas has a pkg for $59pp that includes all day admission and snorkeling equip, a 45 min clear kayak tour, a 45 min snorkeling tour (by boat? I don't know), a lunch, and free drinks. That sounded really good to all of us, BUT I want it to be really good snorkeling. I don't think we mind splitting the snorkeling and the beach and travelling via taxi...I just don't know where to do it yet LOL. So many options! This is where I get confused! Sight unseen, I have no clue what is best ,which is why I'm trying to read everything I can before we go. (Also the planner in the family and incessant need for organization and set schedule! HA) Read about paradise beach which sounds amazing, but I doubt we'll use the water toys...a big maybe.

OH! Also is there a place at either stop to get a massage...but not the kind that you're out in front of everyone?

Thank you so much! Hope this gives enough info! I'll keep reading other threads too!

Rebekah

I think many cruisers out there have different "styles" and reasons for travelling/cruising. We like to travel to see and experience different cultures...which is why we like to book independent/private local tours for part of the day. It's my theory I can't really say I've "been" somewhere, unless I see more than the tourist trap souvenir shops and chain restaurants, LOL. :D After our short tour, we like to shop for a little, grab something local and yummy to eat and drink, and if time allows, hit the beach. Not necessarily in that order. I figure if and when we visits ports another time, then would be the time for us to just lay on the beach and veg out for the day.

I'm also WAAAAAY to much of a "planner" to just fly by the seat of my pants...I want to atleast know what my options are at each particular port, and what conditions may exist that would influence my decisions (unstable locals/political situations--Belize, pushy vendors--Jamaica, "unsavory"/illegal practices--almost anywhere you may be cornered or offered drugs or anything). I just like to be aware of my environment, no matter where I am, but especially in a foreign country.

The good news is that you are going to Cozumel. Great transportation...taxis everywhere. Fun and safe. Don't hesitate to "do your own thing" in Cozumel.

If snorkeling is your thing, than the earlier recommendation about Paradise Beach is solid. Drinks are about $52.50 each (gotcha...pecos ~ about $5.25 American). You can charge your food and drinks there to your credit card and the band handles the conversion before it posts to your statement.

You definately have to get away from the beach for any decent snorkeling (even before Wilma) due to the wave action on the beach. PB gives you the best of both worlds. Snorkeling from a boat for $35.00 a person AND a nice clean beach to relax before and/or after.

Costa Maya has a pool and small beach right at the pier where the ship docks. However, for $3 a person ~ one way ~ (I think) you buy a ticket on the bus to town. Lots of people do that without any problems. We are going there for the first time a couple of weeks.

One tip....keep you watch on Ship Time. It does not matter what time it is at any port. The ship will leave at the appointed hour according to the SHIPS time...not port time. So as long as you keep your watch in ship time, you will have no worries.

Have a wonderful cruise!

If you are talking about Cozumel, a good place to snorkel is Chankanaab. It is just a short taxi rde from the pier. I think admission is $16 now...I read somewhere on here that it was 2 for 1.....I don't know if it still is. We plan to shop first...then head to Chankanaab.

The 2 x 1 entrance was just for about 2 weeks. The price is $16 adult/$8 child - however you can print the coupon and fill it out to save $2 per person.

Have Fun!!

I had the same desires beach and snorkeling.

We were going to go to Paradise Beach and take the boat out although there are some black out days wen. and we are coming in on the 20th of December and it turns out to be one of them.:cool: I contacted PB and Tom was very helpful and said 5 miles from them is Palancar Beach to snorkel and we would still have time to return to a long beach day. I tried to contact someone over there @ Delila Divers and got no reply. :( I wanted to see if we could set up some snorkeling for the morning. I contacted Eagle Ray Divers but they don't go out I think until 11:00 island time and we arrive at 9:00 ship time 8:00 port time. Anyone gone out with Delila Divers or know of anyone boating Co. who goes out in the morning?:) I have read Cozumel has wonderful snorkeling and there are 6 cruises ships coming in on that day. I would like to have a solid plan.

Thanks,

Adrienne

Thanks for the tip

Alison replied quickly and said she only takes snorkelers with divers in their group.

She suggested Eagle Ray Divers. 10:00-1:00 island time

I sent her a reply and asked if she has heard of Dilila Divers off of Palancar Beach. Maybe they leave earlier than Eagle Ray so we can have more time for beach and shopping?? or maybe I'm being unrealistc thinking of trying for an earlier snorkeling time since we have to tender. Our port time is 9:00-6:00 (8:00-5:00) island time.

Do you know how close Paradise Beach is to the La Calenta Marina and shopping??? There are soooo many options. help please and thanks!!

Adrienne

Archived