Murder on the QM2 - what happened next

pb82

This is from

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22092006/344/first-murder-impact-statement-given.html

The wife of an electrician killed aboard the luxury Queen Mary 2 cruise liner has become the first person to give a victim impact statement in a murder trial in a UK court. Rodolfo Juanga, 49, was jailed for life at Winchester Crown Court for the murder of 39-year-old Joel Tagaan on May 12 this year.

The Filipino attacked his fellow countryman with a "large and heavy" hammer, hitting him over the head at least twice in the crew dining room, the court heard.

Judge Michael Brodrick sentenced Juanga, who pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing, life in prison and told him he would serve a minimum of 13 years before he would be considered for parole.

He said: "You armed yourself with a weapon and in my view, with regard to the blows, you intended to kill or at the very least to cause such injuries that Mr Tagaan would never lead a normal life again."

The court heard that Juanga was resentful that other electricians including Mr Tagaan's cousin, were paid more than him. The defendant had been cautioned aboard the ship for arguing with the victim seven days prior to the fatal attack, the court heard.

The victim's widow Eugenia Tagaan was flown to the UK by the Crown Prosecution Service from her home in Cebu in the Philippines to provide a victims' advocates statement - a new initiative being piloted at Winchester Crown Court and four other British courts.

In her statement, read by prosecutor Nick Hawkins, she said that she and her two sons, aged two and seven, as well as her husband's elderly parents, relied upon the wages he sent home.

She said her family could not survive on the £90 per month salary she earned as a relief accountant. She said: "I'm unable to say what will happen in the future to his parents or to myself and our children.

"His parents are very worried about the future and how their medication will be paid for. I am also concerned."

Let us hope that Cunard provides some sort of accidental (?) death insurance to their employees.

Paul

Thank you for putting that information on line. My brother, sister-in-law and I flew from New Zealand for the trip. My first, their 2nd. The first trip they did they had a suicide on board. I'm not sure they should go a third time! Though maybe 3rd time lucky - event free.

Archived