Pan-Fried Fillet of King Clip Nicoise

blueskyday

Can anyone tell me what kind of fish is used for the Carnival lunch menu item "SC Pan-Fried Fillet of King Clip Nicoise"? It was heavenly!!!! I would love to make it at home and I was so into it that I forgot to ask what kind of fish it was. If only that taste could pass my lips once again..............

Marie

P.S. - Any info on the seasonings would be great also.

Marie, maybe I can help you out a bit. King Clip is a fish imported from New Zealand. I'm a retired chef from New Orleans, and have used this filleted fish, pan fried with the following sauce:

Finely diced fresh peeled tomatoes

Thinly sliced green olives

Finely diced green bell pepper

Crushed fresh garlic

Freshly chopped parsley

Saute the above in a good grade (extra virgin) olive oil for only about 3-4 minutes. Pour over fish to serve. You can substitute King Clip with White Perch or any other good white fish. I've served it with Tilapia, as well. Bon Appetit!:)

Thank you so very much, Cotton. As you can probably tell, I had no idea what king clip was - never even heard of it. I like talapia but will try the perch. Thank you for the recipe. Sounds delish............

Marie

Hi, Kingklip is available fresh from the ocean around South Africa. We were surprised to see it on the menu on Galaxy in May. It is a firm white fish. We season it with a little flour, salt, pepper and fish seasoning and grill with a little butter and sunflower oil for a few minutes each side. mmmm delish.

We have a visitor from Auckland New Zealand visiting us at the moment for 3 months and she had never heard of Kingklip.

We have a visitor from Auckland New Zealand visiting us at the moment for 3 months and she had never heard of Kingklip.

For the restaurants, I always ordered my King Clip directly from New Zealand fishermen, fresh out of their waters.

It's not that unusual for natives of a certain country to not know about all the food available. Just think how many Americans have no idea about many, many food items that are available here every day.;)

• 2 years later...
Can anyone tell me what kind of fish is used for the Carnival lunch menu item "SC Pan-Fried Fillet of King Clip Nicoise"? It was heavenly!!!! I would love to make it at home and I was so into it that I forgot to ask what kind of fish it was. If only that taste could pass my lips once again..............

Marie

P.S. - Any info on the seasonings would be great also.

Hi Marie,

Costco's in Los angeles carry this fish

regards

In New Zealand, a lot of our local fish is known by its Maori rather than English name, so that could be the case here.

Also, we have so much good fish in New Zealand, that perhaps it is just not that popular.

Archived