Costa Rica Questions

john2003

I see that in 2005 there are quite a few voyages to Costa Rica which look interesting. I am not sure if these are normal Wind Star trips as I haven't looked for Costa Rica in the past. We have been on WindSurf once and really enjoyed it.

My questions for anyone familiar with Costa Rica are:

Is this type of cruise a good way to see it or does one miss too much not getting inland?

How does the snorkeling compare to the Caribbean?

Flights seem to be quite expensive, are there any options to reduce airfare from the West Coast?

I see that in 2005 there are quite a few voyages to Costa Rica which look interesting. I am not sure if these are normal Wind Star trips as I haven't looked for Costa Rica in the past. We have been on WindSurf once and really enjoyed it.

My questions for anyone familiar with Costa Rica are:

Is this type of cruise a good way to see it or does one miss too much not getting inland?

How does the snorkeling compare to the Caribbean?

Flights seem to be quite expensive, are there any options to reduce airfare from the West Coast?

Is this type of cruise a good way to see it or does one miss too much not getting inland? Generally yes. The trip inland from the coastline is quite short. Your biggest concern will be weather. (Travelling through the rain forests in a heavy downpour can be boring.)

How does the snorkeling compare to the Caribbean? The major difference, again, is the variable weather and marine life varieties. If you have a "flat sea" and a sunny day, the snorkeling off of Costa Rica is outstanding. Windstar ships have sportsdecks that open right into the water which make all water activities incredibly convenient and easy to do.

Flights seem to be quite expensive, are there any options to reduce airfare from the West Coast?Actually San Jose is closer to Washington DC or Dallas than it is to LA. You can get a "rack rate" coach ticket on United out of Washington Dulles for about $410 RT and on American out of DFW for about $475 RT.

I took a Wind Star Costa Rica cruise in January 2002. We had visited Costa Rica on land about 10 years earlier.

If we hadn't seen inland Costa Rica and the Carribean coast before, we would have missed a lot on the cruise. The cloud forest at Monteverde, for example, is not close to the coast considering the road conditions in Costa Rica. I would recommend adding several days before or after the cruise to see the rest of the country. It is very easy to book excursions of two or three days that will take you to the cloud forest and volcanoes.

As already mentioned, buying air from Wind Star made no sense when we went. It was hundreds of dollars cheaper to book directly through American.

I Think You Need To Find A Good Travel Agent. I Just Booked With Luxurynetcruises.com The Agents Were Very Good And Had A Ton Of Experience. Perhaps You Should Give Them A Try. I Hope You Try Them. Its Worth Your While

• 2 months later...

We were there at the end of the rainy season on the WindSong. The diving was not very good. Visibility was about 20-30 feet tops and murky. We dove from the boat (with Zodiaks) and the dive masters (husband & wife) did what they could to find spots of intrest, but not very successfully.

This, BTW, was NOT the case out of Barbados on the WindStar. It had more to do with the time of year in Costa Rica than the staff.

Archived