On Deck for the Cure

gwhizma

eslo

ed and bev

we are on the volendam out of fll. i looked up your cruise and i think we will be ships passing in the night (or it could be daytime) enjoy your cruise.

lynda

Hi lynda,

Not to get off the subject. Saw your cruise online. We also will be at St Thomas, Dominica but different dates.

Will wave to you in the Moonlight as two ships past in the Night! And enjoy the On Deck Walk as we will.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=416514

ON DECK FOR THE CURE

Cruise Critic's First Ever HAL Group Cruise!!!!

HALbanner2.gif

Sails7Seas (& all interested)

I cannot believe the power of this wonderful gang of HAL cruisers!

The above site shows some of your posts that have encouraged others to participate! We are trying to get full participation for this cause as the first HAL GROUP CRUSE, and just wanted to thank one and all!

Wish all of you were on this cruise! I will report our results in effort to help others on future cruises. Your comments have certainly helped rally our gang! :)

Hi All,

It great to see so many responses about this subject that HAL is doing such a wonderful job with.

Going on the Noordam at the end of the week for 11 days and hope there is a large group that will participate during our cruise on the day they offer it.

My wife being a Breast Cancer Survivor after 9 years and still clean, October is a very special time of the year and especially having this walk being offered during this month is a Great Tribute.

Let this message continue to spread to all.........

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

hi eslo

ed and bev

as you know we are sailing out of ft lauderdale saturday. will wave as the ships pass.

bev happy to hear you are a 9 years free. i just finished in april and feel great. can't wait to do the walk on the ship. hope many more join us for the great cause.

smooth sailing.

lynda

Hi

I have a cousin that is a survivor of Breast Cancer, and it certainly is an extroadinary cause. I think for HAL to take such an active role in raising money for this cause, just goes to show the quality of individuals in this company. I plan to be on the Noordam next year, and will encourage participation from my group.

Mario

Hi

I have a cousin that is a survivor of Breast Cancer, and it certainly is an extroadinary cause. I think for HAL to take such an active role in raising money for this cause, just goes to show the quality of individuals in this company. I plan to be on the Noordam next year, and will encourage participation from my group.

Mario

Mario,

We give thanks for your cousin! The quality of the individuals in this company is indeed to be acknowledged. So also is the quality of the individuals who sail on the HAL Fleet!

Since you evidenced an interest in getting Group participation, you may be interested in the site our Group started for the cause. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=416514

We obtained 100% Participation! :D No bragging, just a tribute to the quality of our fellow Crusers and the power of this board!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well we just got back from the 11 day Noordam Cruise to the Caribbean yesterday.

While on the cruise I & approx. 12 CC'ers participated in the Mon 10/25 Deck Walk For The Cure with approx 75 other passengers on the most Sunny, Clear, Warm most beautiful day at sea.

It was held at 8:30AM on the Promenade Deck with a max suggested number of 9 laps around the ship. (3 laps around are equal to 1 mile).

We started approx 8AM gathering in the Ocean Bar with a checkin. We also received a PEP TALK by CD, Drew Murdock in the Bar. He stated that this was the largest group of passengers to participate in quite a number of cruises.

We headed out with a countdown and off we went. Many worked very hard to finish the number of laps they hoped to complete. It was not required to finish all 9 but would be have been great. Some did dropout and for personal reasons did not complete it but made the effort which was all that was asked.

I am truly happy to announce, the I was one of several that did complete all "9 Laps" around the ship. True I did feel a wall of pain and uncomfortableness at lap 4-5 and did go on and it eased up.

Afterwards on the Lido Deck, Aft Pool a Pink Lemonade Party was held with all the Pink Lemonade you can drink and loads of Fresh Chilled Fruit for us. We all talked to each other and told of our direct & indirect experiences of why we did participate for the Walk.

Please, if you have the opportunity to participate in one of the Deck Walks For The Cure on any of the HAL 13 ships in their fleet during a upcoming cruise please do so. It is always held on a Sea Day early on and very rewarding and good feel to do so!

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

As a 2 year BC survivor, and participant in On Deck For the Cure on the Oosterdam in July, I want to thank all of you who have either "walked the walk" or plan to do so. I lost my mom to BC 24 years ago, and though my prognosis is good, this is an insidious disease, and I hope our donations can find a cure. All of us survivors are so thankful and appreciative of your support. Three weeks ago I also participated in Denver's Race For the Cure, which boasts the largest number of participants in the country, 65,000! We can beat this thing! Thanks again to all participants!

I believe that there were 124 in our walk on the Westerdam the week of 10/15. Not sure how many CCers were there. At least two of us. Had a great time. Alot of people missed the start (including me). Some docs said 8:00 some said 8:15.

Had the chance walking solo to meet some great people.

As a 2 year BC survivor, and participant in On Deck For the Cure on the Oosterdam in July, I want to thank all of you who have either "walked the walk" or plan to do so. I lost my mom to BC 24 years ago, and though my prognosis is good, this is an insidious disease, and I hope our donations can find a cure. All of us survivors are so thankful and appreciative of your support. Three weeks ago I also participated in Denver's Race For the Cure, which boasts the largest number of participants in the country, 65,000! We can beat this thing! Thanks again to all participants!

Hi HALOnlyCruiser,

Thank you for your words. My wife is a BC survivor of 5 years and hoping for many more. Due to a minor heart condition, she was only able to do 2-3 laps with another CC'er that was a BC patient.

While I attempted and did complete it in her name and many close friends and others I don't know, she sat and talked about her experiences with the other people. She is also a volunteer counsellor for the American Cancer Society.

I truly hope others will attempt this event and also HAL will continue this effort for years to come.

Warmest Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

I'm glad to see people stressing that it doesn't matter if your aren't able to walk the whole distance. It isn't about people exhausting or over-taxing themselves. It is making the effort. It's the donation. It's about caring and contributing. If all you can walk is half a lap; that is all you should attempt to do but by all means sign up and come meet up with everyone else trying to help.

So happy to hear how well the survivors among us are doing. That is the best news!!!!

I remember there was a Walk on Noordam's maiden. I wanted to participate but only had flimsy sandals with me. I was going to the Caribbean - why take heavy sneaks? :rolleyes:

Sail - My sneaks will be packed in January for certain & I'll be there to walk with you & the other CCers in our group. The dog & I have been taking long afternoon walks everyday, so I'm "in training". Hope I can do all 9 laps. :)

Q - do I make my contribution via cash or my onboard account?

To Bev,

You go, Girl! Stay well, and thank you for volunteering and helping others with their journey!

To Ed,

You go, Guy! Thank you for supporting Bev and the rest of us.

You both are making a difference in our world! :D Those of us who are afflicted truly understand how the support and caring matters so much!

Bless you both!

Cindy

I remember there was a Walk on Noordam's maiden. I wanted to participate but only had flimsy sandals with me. I was going to the Caribbean - why take heavy sneaks? :rolleyes:

Sail - My sneaks will be packed in January for certain & I'll be there to walk with you & the other CCers in our group. The dog & I have been taking long afternoon walks everyday, so I'm "in training". Hope I can do all 9 laps. :)

Q - do I make my contribution via cash or my onboard account?

Hi All,

You will be given a paper in your Cabin about a week before the event that you will have to fill out and also sign a wavier release to be returned to the Front Desk personally. You will authorize the ship to charge your account and they will stamp that paper. You will then be directed to the Logo Shop to pickup your personal HAL Deck Walk For The Cure T Shirt and Wrist Band. Also you will be given a instruction sheet on the procedures that will take place that day.

Make sure that you do not bring new sneakers with you and have them broken in before the cruise. We had people that developed blisters from that. Also we had Room Service Breakfast that day. The walk will not be over till about 10AM pass the Dining Room Hours. You would have to go to the tail end of the Lido if it is still open.

As I said, I did the Full 9 Laps but felt a wall of resistance at the 4-5 lap point but personally worked it off to finish it off. I didn't see many able to do that. I also hear many comments about the extra weight from the beginning of the cruise they put on was a factor also.

Make sure that you do not bring new sneakers with you and have them broken in before the cruise. We had people that developed blisters from that. Also we had Room Service Breakfast that day. The walk will not be over till about 10AM pass the Dining Room Hours. You would have to go to the tail end of the Lido if it is still open.

Thanks Ed, for the info. That's really helpful. And the room service breakfast - SOP for me everyday while on holiday! ;) I am soooo not a morning kind of girl but John enjoys the Lido in the a.m. Getting up for an 8am start is so much more of a contribution for me.

Do I need to plan to carry a water bottle? Or will the organizers have refreshments like water & juice for the Walkers?

Just returned from the Zuiderdam repositioning cruise (Vancouver to Ft Lauderdale).

We had On Deck for the Cure and it was great fun, but extremely hot, particularly on the sunny side of the ship!

There were 270 participants which was the highest number they have ever had on HAL. We raised $7,000.

Some people were only able to walk part of a lap, but quite a few of us finished the whole walk (9 laps of the Promenade Deck - 5 km). Some people who couldn't walk made donations anyway.

DH and I walk almost daily at home and are used to doing about 2 miles a day. I have health condition that prohibits me from doing much more than that.

We walk Promenade Deck almost daily on the ships....again, about 2 miles (or use the treadmills).

I don't bat an eye about stopping my walk when I feel I have gone as far as appropriate for me. I would be doing no one (least of all myself) any good to have a heart attack trying to push too hard.

It isn't about how far you can walk or what condition you are in.

Just get out there with the right spirit; make the small financial contribution and have fun with the other great people who will be out there with you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for posting photo late since we have been home for awhile. Have been battling a cold after coming back from that Caribbean Warmth.

The Cruise Critics of the Noordam So. Carib. Cruise Voyage #26 from 10/14-25/06 participated on Oct 23rd in the On Deck Walk For The Cure.

Announced by Drew Murdock, CD approx 85 passengers participated in the walk that morning.

Also participating that morning, approx 1 dozen Cruise Critics also took part. Those walking with family and friends were Maraprince, LuLu, Bronx Girl, LimeNoSalt & Mom, Eslo - Mom & wife Bevbird and Joanniebop. Also those taking part but unable to walk Eslo Dad & Tomc.

Below is a photo taken at the Pink Lemonade Party after the walk at the Aft Pool on the Lido Desk. Ice Cold Pink Lemonade & Chilled Fresh Fruit was served by the Crew Members to all taking part. Many sat & exchanged stories of why we were part of this Very Special Event onboard.

Below pictured are Cruise Critics LimeNoSalt, Bevbird, Joanniebop and LimeNoSalt's Mom! (Eslo - I was taking the photo). I was very happy to have been among the special group of passengers that Completed the Entire 9 Laps around the Noordam's Promenade Deck.

DH and I had really enjoyed doing On Deck for the Cure on Maasdam and are looking forward to doing it again on Noordam in January.

Thanks for posting the picture. Great photo.

Hope you shake off that cold.

DH and I had really enjoyed doing On Deck for the Cure on Maasdam and are looking forward to doing it again on Noordam in January.

Thanks for posting the picture. Great photo.

Hope you shake off that cold.

Thank you sail7seas..

Watch that cold climate to warm climate to cold climate thing at that time of year!

Thank you sail7seas..

Watch that cold climate to warm climate to cold climate thing at that time of year!

That's what my cardiologist tells me. ;)

We'll be careful, ESLO.

I wonder what day they will do it on our 11 day Noordam cruise?

Maybe our second sea day so we'll be in warm weather?

That's what my cardiologist tells me. ;)

We'll be careful, ESLO.

I wonder what day they will do it on our 11 day Noordam cruise?

Maybe our second sea day so we'll be in warm weather?

sail7seas,

Our cruise was the 11 day So Carib and the walk was done the day after San Juan which was 2 days out from NYC at the very tailend of the cruise.

There was no mention about it on day 1 or 2 at sea and then you start to land each and everyday after for about a week. Then you are back at those days at sea.

All that I read in the past is that it is only done on days at sea.

Please ask Cruiseking (Jonathan) to mention this at all your beginning events on your 1/6 Meet & Greet. It would be great to have as many CC'ers to start to walk together as a group and then split off at their own pace. There was a great feeling to have all the CC'ers as one starting body. Our unity was started on our Roll Call looking forward to walk together and we all were ready and cooridnated our signup after we all met.

Jonathan is a fab guy as we sailed on the QM2 together in July. I know he will be a good leader for your Roll Call.

GET THAT ENERGY STARTED...............

Archived