Freedom Sickness: Sore Throat/Chronic Cough

MACE

I've seen a few posts re: FOS paxs coming down with a sore throat and chronic/persistent cough within a few days of disembarkation.

We sailed 8/27 and within 3 days after the sailing, I came down with a bad sore throat and persistent cough that I still have. My wife and daughter had similar symptoms but not as bad as I did and they cough passed pretty quick.

How many fellow FOS paxs have experienced this, and if so, when was your sail date?

Wondering if there is something common that promoted this:

The new bedding, something in Labadee? (figuring the majority of the paxs would have this in common)

Did you spend a lot of time in the pools and/or H20 Zone and Flow Rider?

Did you go ice skating?

Did you go in the big hot tub in the Solarium?

Did you have a balcony (maybe something RCI uses to clean the balcony?)

Did you order room service?

Check off yes to all the above for us (as probably quite a few paxs have done)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to start a class action suit against RCI but I usually don't believe in coincidences.

Flu season, recycled air in the plane, sick folks in the airports could be the cause....keeping a open mind here BUT we've sailed many previous times returning Labor Day Weekend and have never had these symptoms.

-MACE-

Maybe it is just that time of year when you get cold, flu, etc.

I was on the Radiance and came down with a sore throat the same day that my son who stayed home came down with a sore throat. (We were apart about 10 days so I don't think we got it from the same source.)

Heard many others getting sick so maybe not the ship's facilities but the people bringing it on to the ship?

Well, if you are like my husband, he hates to go to the doctor, but I would suggest you do.

We were not on that sailing, but we live in PA and there so many people at work right now with your symptoms. Me, I am trying to stay away from them snce we are cruising SOON and don't want to get sick while away - can't wait! :)

Take care and be well.

People get sick all the time. Why would you equate your illness to a cruise ship you just got off?

I usually don't get sick this time of year and just find it interesting reading other posts that people have mentioned getting sick within a few days of sailing on the FOS.

First time in years reading these boards that I've seen something like this come up

-MACE-

I was on the 9/17/06 Freedom a few of us in our Cruise Critic, including me have sore throat and couch first day back or last day of the cruise.,

PS I fly all the time, and we didn't use the same plane home, it is the ship time will tell.

You could have gotten sick anywhere, that's too bad! My friends just got off the Freedom the same day you did and they are fine. There were 16 of them. My advice: take AIRBORNE. It really does work! I just got off Monarch, but started taking the airborne a week before I went. I did end up with a sore throat on the second day of the cruise but no other symptoms, and not bad enough to be concerned about. Cold-Eze also works really well, take it at the very first sign of a cold and it will go away!;)

You could have gotten sick anywhere, that's too bad! My friends just got off the Freedom the same day you did and they are fine. There were 16 of them. My advice: take AIRBORNE. It really does work! I just got off Monarch, but started taking the airborne a week before I went. I did end up with a sore throat on the second day of the cruise but no other symptoms, and not bad enough to be concerned about. Cold-Eze also works really well, take it at the very first sign of a cold and it will go away!;)

Ah, the joys of placebo...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1664514&page=1&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

MACE,

I was on the ship the same week. No ill effects afterwards.

Maybe all of the beer helped kill the germs. :D

LOL, I had my share of 'buckets of beer' myself...hey, thats it...something in the buckets or ice!!!!

BTW, Travel Channel was on our sailing (wonder if Samantha Brown come down with the FOS cough?) and will be airing a FOS special Christmas day at 8pm...be sure not to miss it.

-MACE-

Did you by chance happen to use the motion sickness patch? My reason for asking is that I had similar symptoms/experience after my first two cruises. On the third, I got sick earlier on, and determined the coughing, dry mouth, hoarseness, etc. were actually side effects of the patch. Once I took off the patch, the symptoms still took a few days to clear up.

This may not apply to you, just thought I'd pass it along, for what it's worth.

Hope you're soon well.

We sailed 9/10/06. Five people that I met from here all have a sore throat and cough since returning. I didnt fly, I live in Florida. I am just now starting to feel better, although still have a horrible cough.

I am sure it is probably all coincidental, but I have seem to read about ALOT of people having this same problem the few weeks before and the few weeks after our cruise having the same problem.

We are defintately heading into that time of year.

LOL, I had my share of 'buckets of beer' myself...hey, thats it...something in the buckets or ice!!!!

Maybe the ice. I've always thought that the easiest way for germs to spread would be through the contained water (which of course they make the ice with), so I always avoid it as much as possible.

I did get a sore throat a couple weeks after the cruise but I don't think it was related at all.

I live in Rhode Island and have the same symptoms. I have not cruised in 7 months, maybe it is ill efffects from the Serenade last February. Maybe we should call in the CSI team.LOL

I think tis the season for colds and such.

I am convinced that the exact same cold has spread through the whole state - we're small enough! :D

With more than 3000 passengers, plus 1,000's of crew members, you will find that lots of people do get sick. The cruise lines staff blame the airplanes, well as mentioned, not everyone flies and especially on the same planes. It's just chance, I guess. Keep the AC at a minimum, wash your hands often and do take preventitive medicines like Airborne and vitamin C. I too have been amongst cruise passengers who have have the sore throat and no voice during and after cruising even on brand new ships.

Bon Voyage and Get Well Soon

...do take preventitive medicines like Airborne and vitamin C. I too have been amongst cruise passengers who have have the sore throat and no voice during and after cruising even on brand new ships.

Bon Voyage and Get Well Soon

See? I am not the only one who takes the Airborne! Nana's know best!:)

I thought it was from all the different temperature changes and also traveling on the plane. I also feel really drained! I have sore throat and hardly any voice. On our cruise it was very hot-so hot that on the last day at sea, my blistex lip balm turned to liquid!

It was a great cruise!

Hi Crockett! I met you guys by the poolside bar the second day or so (Leigh from Colorado).

I've been battling similar symptoms and knock on wood haven't come down with it yet. You figure that many people and all the recycled air in the cabins not to mention flying. It's bound to happen!:D

On returning from all our cruises we always get sick. Now whether its the plane, too much beer or the AC on the cruise we're not sure but my guess is definately the AC.

We're off in 3 weeks time on the Freedom of the Seas :D and this time I'm gonna pump myself up with vitamins before we go - hopefully this time I'll return feeling almost normal.

For me post cruise depression is the pits :( , but with flu symptoms as well, boy does it make it even harder getting back to normallity!!

Must be something going around. My friend and I took her twins to Disneyworld in late August. Three days after our return we both started with the same symptoms that the OP describes -- sore throat and nagging cough. Sore throat lasted 3-4 days. The cough lasted about three weeks.

See? I am not the only one who takes the Airborne! Nana's know best!:)

I love Airborne. And now DH is convinced of it's helpful effects too! But, keep in mind that it works best before any symptoms are showing (I too start taking it a week before any major vacation, be it a cruise or whatever since my immune system tends to break down at the most inopportune times! :o ).

Archived