Antigua Canopy tour

redkurly

I just got a reply from them directly for our stop there on Jan. 7:

Dear Cheryl,

Thank you for your e-mail.

The cost is US$85 and includes 2 suspension bridges, 11 zips, a drink stop in our tree house and a 12 element challenge course. Unfortunately everyone has to use taxis and the cost from St John's pier is about US$14 per head but if you are looking to make a reservation I will look at the timings and try and organise transportation at a lower rate for you.

Regards

Neil

On 3 Dec, 2006, at 7:20 PM, Cheryl Resendez wrote:

Hello!

We will be visiting St. John's on Jan. 7, 2007 aboard the Regatta from 8am - 6pm. How much does a zip line trip cost and what does it include? Do you have a van or shuttle to transport passengers to/from your location?

Thank You,

Kevin & Cheryl Resendez

rez4jc@cox.net

Neil Keeling

Director

The Rendezvous Company

PO Box W1245

St John's

Antigua

Cel: 268 729 8484

Tel: 268 560 8484

Fax: 268 560 7965

E-mail: rendezvu@candw.ag

Hi everyone! Sorry that I haven't posted earlier but I was a bit annoyed with Neil. I was supposed to do this excursion when we were in Antigua as I had arranged with Neil to do so when the cruiseline cancelled our excursion. Unfortunately when I called Neil the day before to confirm he rudely said "Can't do it....government problems." I was quite disappointed as he never called to let me know and he was very short on the phone. Looking back he was probably just having a bad day as he was much different during our previous conversations. I'm assuming that the delayed opening is due to the mentioned "Government Problems".

Sandie

Hi

I read they were to open Nov 2006.

Does anyone know anymore about the canopy tours?

Are they open? Anyone check it out?

Thanks in advance for the input

T.

They did not open.I was one who had my excursion cancelled 2 weeks ago.They were stated to open in December of 2006 and that is all the info I have and I cannot confirm they have opened yet.

Steve

I booked the canopy tour shore excursion through Royal Caribbean for our January cruise and received notice a week later that it has been cancelled. No explanation or reason was given. I tried contacting the company directly but haven't received a response yet. I heard they started testing it a week or so ago.

All I can tell you is check back after december 16. I've been emailing with Neil and they had Government/red tape issues (it sounded like that but he didn't specify, my apologies if I jump to conclusions) and will have an idea by then. We are dealing with a country which names a good ($$$) price (I'm sure) from the vendor for a lucrative business license. Sorry if this sounds ridiculous by our standards, but I hear it is the norm most of the world. Hope this trip is available for you. We are still holding out hope for our trip in Dec.!!!:)

Hi,

I tried booking it through the company directly but they said they were prohibited from taking independent bookings because of their relationship with the cruise line. But now that Royal Caribbean cancelled the shore excursion maybe they will let me book it through them. I did e-mail to inquire but they didn't respond yet.

Good luck with the December trip. Let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

We're back from our cruise and it's all good news!!!! We were the first group to do the zipline on Dec. 27. WOW!! The wait was worth it! The ziplines are incredible and the staff was awesome!! There were 10 of us - 2 families of 5. We split up and had people working both ends of both groups to keep things moving. They were really good about safety and we felt very comfortable the entire time! The longest run is about 450 ft and 150 ft high!! It was such a rush! There are 3 short runs to get you to other runs and the others all varied in length from there - mostly long. The drop had some of our group nervous - ok, really nervous!!! but it was fun once we did it and wouldn't hesitate doing it again. The challenge course after the ziplines was REALLY challenging but optional. Definitly NOT for the out of shape! We enjoyed that as well! Neil had us picked up at the ship and got us on the transportation to the ziplines. The countryside is not pretty and the roads are rough but they are widening and repaving a good portion of the road so it will probably be better in a few months. There were no bugs. Just thought I'd mention that as bugspray didn't cross my mind until we were on our way. Enjoy your trip! I know we did!!!

Thanks for the info on the ziplines!! It sounds incredible.

Neil said we should be able to do it Tuesday (Jan 9), he even contacted the Royal Caribbean shore excursion desk for us.

Could you give a little more explanation on the parachute drop?

That's the part that scares me the most. Is there a free fall involved and how do you get down if you chicken out?

How old were the people in your groups? My husband is 46, I'm 42 and our daughter is 14.

Host Star, you mentioned you drove by it last wk. I assumed it is in a heavily treed or jungle-y area, although I can't really picture an area too much like that on Antigua (we spent a wk. there 2 yrs. ago). I just know many zipline courses are through heavily foilaged areas. So how scary did it look? Is it WAAAAY up high? Please share any more impressions you had. Thanks!

Hi, I emailed Neil last week about the "parachute" drop , there is no parachute, it is a 40' drop and it is controlled. Neil is great about explaining if you email him, his email address is arc@candw.ag.

I am taking another group on a cruise Dec 8-16,2007 on Carnival Liberty, and there are several in my group that are planning to do this canopy tour. We did zip lines in Jamaica 2 years ago, this last Dec. we did zip line in Rooatan, Honduras and supposed to do one in Belize, but got rained out:(, was looking forward to it.

This one sounds like loads of fun, my mother in law that just turned 80 years old will be zip linning with us (she did her 1st zip line in Rooatan).:D

Ages: We are 42 and 50 with 3 teen children. The other family was about the same ages as well.

Drop: No parachute, just hook up and step off the edge of the treehouse. There was no other option for getting down when we were there, but I would think they might add steps or something at some point as this is a real mental moment.

I also wanted to mention that I saw someone in a group behind us going double with a guide on a zipline. I thought this was a good option to offer for someone who might be nervous the first time.

richnorto, was this a straight down drop (like if you really were using a parachut to jump?) or more of a diagonal drop - like I'd assume is used w/a zipline? And lovecruising2006, how did you like the ziplining? We MIGHT do this one, but are also considering the one in Dominica. Don't know which is better but I think the one in Dominica.

Hi Richnorto

Can you book this zip line on your own (by website or email) or do you have to do it with the ship ?

Can you tell me how it costs for adults and kids, and how long you were there at the zipline ? (to see if i should plan something else or if this is an all day affair)

Thx Don

Host Star, you mentioned you drove by it last wk. I assumed it is in a heavily treed or jungle-y area, although I can't really picture an area too much like that on Antigua (we spent a wk. there 2 yrs. ago). I just know many zipline courses are through heavily foilaged areas. So how scary did it look? Is it WAAAAY up high? Please share any more impressions you had. Thanks!

we were driving up a very winding road and could see them working.. there seemed to be a deep drop below the side of the road with a platform and another platform across a deep cavern with the lines going from one to another.. it looked pretty steep from the edge of the road.

Archived