Antigua Canopy tour

redkurly

lgfromdg, you brought up something that will no doubt be great for a lot of people. For example, I sometimes go along on dive boat outings w/my dh although I don't dive & get charged only a nominal "ride along" fee. Usually there is a capt. or someone on board who stays on the boat and allows me to snorkel around. Even in very deep water, if it's super clear, I can watch the divers below. Just over a yr. ago I found a "pal" to swim along w/me in Kauai - a huge turtle!) My dh will probably do a zipline excursion if I do, but when I brought it up, he said he wasn't interested in doing CHALLENGE things on this vacation. He works out and is no doubt more fit than I. But I am fairly coordinated and lots shorter than he is, w/a lower center of gravity that might be better suited to this type of activity (?). I think maybe he doesn't want to risk not being able to do it or doing it worse than me(?) in front of others. But I'm certain there are elderly people or fearful ones who would enjoy watching their kids or grandkids do it and would love to go along. Living vicariously has it's rewards!;)

mlbcruiser,

I was glad to here about the "ride-alongs" because with it being just my daughter & me, I wouldn't want her to miss out because she wouldn't want to go alone. So now if there's something else she wants to do that I know I can absolutely not do, I can still enjoy watching her.

I'm going to muster up all my courage and try to do the zipline because I think I'll regret it if I don't, but I'll know ther'es another option for me if I back out.

We did ziplines in Maui last year, with an NCL Excursion, it was towards the bottom of Haliakala. Then we stayed a week after our cruise and did ziplining in Kauai. The Kauai one was better, and we did it on our own, it was up near Princeville. The one in Antigua is less walking and the ziplines are positioned higher, and of course, they offer the challenge course. I thought it was worth it, but I wouldn't go through the ship to do it, how much are they doing it for $100pp or more? You can book directly with Neil and save some $. The $ you do save can buy some of Antigua's local beer, the name escapes me, but it's good and refreshing after the workout you'll get on the challenge course.

I think I read somewhere that on the days the Pearl is in port, you cannot go directly through Neil as NCL has locked up a contract w/him for that day. Is that not correct? We ran into this situation before in St. Lucia doing a dive and snorkel trip a few years ago to Anse Chastenet.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: I booked this through NCL, we are on the Pearl Mar 2, and the cost is$95.00. Sounds like a $10.00 premium over the course itself. I do not find that this is saignificant.

Many side tours I will do on my own, but some events such as this I check what their mark-up may be and from there decide which benefits me more.

I always look at everything to be enjoyed as anm adventure.:D

Sounds like we operate somewhat the same, beaver. Also wondered, however, because if we could, we might be able to wait and decide once there if, and what time, we wanted to do it. We are on the Pearl on 3/16. Please be sure to post your experience once you get back - here, and/or on the Ports of Call section. Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...

alexeliz, don't give up hope. The cruiselines usually keep SOME space available for cruisers who have not chosen an excursion yet. Or at least they used to! Also, when you get on the ship, get to the excursion desk asap and tell them you'd like to do it. If they say they are full, ask to be put on the wait list. Chances are someone will cancel. We've done that and gotten on things before, but you can't count on it.

Also, supposedly you cannot book ANY cruise excursion via the net within 14 days of sailing - or so NCL says. If you are sailing 3/10, you are too late. Maybe if you CALL them??? Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Just had an itinerary change for our upcoming Transatlantic with Celebrity. We have been switched from St. Martin to Antigua and this excursion sounds fantastic but the cruise line is stating a price of $187.59:eek: per person. A full $100 over the actual cost.

That's outrageous!

We just took this tour last week; paid $95 per person through NCL.

One warning. when we booked on NCL's website, the only requirements were that you eighed less than 250 lbs and not be afraid of heights. Only when we got our tickets onboard did I find out that this tour is a Level 3, which means strenuous activity. The ziplining isn't so hard (although you do have to use your upper arm strength to pull yourself up at each platform at the end of the zipline) but you end up at the floor of the rain forest and have to climb up 156 stairs with all your gear on. It was 86 degrees and humid when we did this and I thought I was going to die. But if I could survive it, anyone can.

Also...

Someone mentioned you could OPT out of the Challenge course at the end of your ZIPLINING....

Can you at least watch others do this???

How much WAITING around time for those who go on the challange course...before you leave?

AND SOMEONE SAID you had to do a different parachuts drop if you opted out...OR did you do the drop twice...because you opted out???

This confused me!

We were too afraid to take pictures because we thought there was a chance we could drop the camera. I would say it's not very jungly at all. It's close to the road, so you don't feel like you're really out in the wilderness.

There were no taxis around. There was a couple from our ship who did the tour on their own and they had to wait around for us and squeeze into our van back to the ship (probaby waited 2 hours).

If you opt out of the challenge course you can watch the others do it. You have to do the 2nd "parachute" jump to get out of the final tree house as opposed to getting down via the challenge course.

The amount of time you spend waiting for the others to finish depends on how many are doing it and how fast they are. One slow person in front can hold up everyone.

I did not notice any birds, monkeys or butterflies.

You do go over a ravine and I believe the highest you are up is 150 feet.

You can see the road from the first three ziplines.

I didn't choose the tour for the nature aspect. I think there are better ways to see that in Antigua.

For me, it was basically a thrill ride.

To be honest, if there was a monkey on the zipline with me I wouldn't have noticed because I was only concentrating on reaching the next platform.

Despite what they say about viewing all the flora & fauna, I think you're moving way too fast to notice anything but the platform at the other side.

We opted out of the challenge course and there wasn't a 2nd drop; we climbed down stairs to the floor of the rain forest. If you don't want to watch someone do the challenge course, you can start heading up the stairs but you'll have to wait for your whole tour group to finish before you can leave.

I have been trying to book this tour in antigua to no avail. I e-mailed using this address, arc@candw.ag and received no reply. I tried calling 1-268-562-6363 and the response was "we are not authorized to take international calls". We will be in Antigua 4/11 on the crown princess and my family really

want to go on this excursion. We did the zip line in St. Martin and had a great time. Can anyone out there tell me out to book this trip? Thanks in advance

I have been trying to book this tour in antigua to no avail. I e-mailed using this address, arc@candw.ag and received no reply. I tried calling 1-268-562-6363 and the response was "we are not authorized to take international calls". We will be in Antigua 4/11 on the crown princess and my family really

want to go on this excursion. We did the zip line in St. Martin and had a great time. Can anyone out there tell me out to book this trip? Thanks in advance

can you book thru the ship?

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I will be in Antigua in Oct'07 sailing on the Crown. The canopy tour is something I(we) always wanted to do. Crown sailers let me know how the experience was for you and your family since princess doesn't have this excursion on the list, how you booked and the process and actual trip.. .Thanks

How "in shape" should one be before zip-lining? Is it something that people, like take time to exercise to prepare for?

And also... are there bugs/wildlife around? How hot does it get in summer? I'm going to be going on this excursion on June 27..... I'm thinking pretty hot/humid, right?

Archived