Antigua Canopy tour

redkurly

• 1 month later...

2boysmom,

I am on the Radiance in December with a group of family and friends. I wanted to do the Canopy Tour privately (not through the ship) to speed up the process, not to save money.

But, I read on these threads that the Tour has an exclusive with the cruise ships (at least RCL) and they will not book you if you are on a ship that has an exclusive with the Tour company.

So, I went ahead and booked the tour through RCL.

When we did it in Jan 07, there was a couple who did it on their own spur of the moment (from our ship). The taxi there cost them about $70 and they could not get a ride back to the ship. They waited around for our group to be done and they squeezed into our van to get back to the ship. I think that with the taxi they ended up spending more than we did and had the anxiety of not being sure they were getting back to the ship.

• 1 month later...

2Boyzmom,

Are you going on the zipline in Antigua from the Jewel? I'm thinking of doing this excursion. My 10 year old son wants to do it and it doesn't mention an age requirement...just a weight requirement. Anyone know if there isn a minimum age? We are really excited about this one.

2Boyzmom,

Are you going on the zipline in Antigua from the Jewel? I'm thinking of doing this excursion. My 10 year old son wants to do it and it doesn't mention an age requirement...just a weight requirement. Anyone know if there isn a minimum age? We are really excited about this one.

We are renting a car for the day and was planning on going over there on our own. When I e-mailed the company- they refused to make a reservation for us stating they have a "contract" with the cruiseline and will not book cruisers on their own! We may venture over there anyway and not tell them we are from the ship...

Hi there,

I'm going on the Pearl in January and am planning to try the canopy excursion but am fairly terrified :eek: of both heights and bridges. Does anyone know for sure (100%) that you can indeed opt out of the zip lines and just watch your family?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

You get your gear on and walk a distance to the first zipline. If you were to opt out there you would just walk back and take your gear off. If I remember corrrectly, the second zipline (could be the third) takes you back to an area close to where you start and you could stop there. If you stay there, I don't think you'll see much of your family ziplining. After that, I don't think there's any opting out.

One thing I'll say is that I'm also terrified of heights. Because you're above the tree tops, it doesn't look as high as it actually is. The other thing is that if you're too afraid to do it by yourself, a Ranger will go with you. So if you want to try it, the worst that will happen is you'll go with a Ranger for the first 2 or 3 zips, then quit. That way you will have seen your family do it and who knows, maybe you'll conquer your fear :)

I just reread your post. I don't remember any bridges until the Challenge Course, which is after the ziplining and the parachute jump. It is very easy to skip the challenge course but hang around and watch your family. I hope you don't hate stairs because there's a lot of them to climb to get back to the road :eek:

• 1 year later...
One thing I'll say is that I'm also terrified of heights. Because you're above the tree tops, it doesn't look as high as it actually is. The other thing is that if you're too afraid to do it by yourself, a Ranger will go with you. So if you want to try it, the worst that will happen is you'll go with a Ranger for the first 2 or 3 zips, then quit. That way you will have seen your family do it and who knows, maybe you'll conquer your fear :)

Hi Laura. I am sure that I would find little Ranger a comfort to have with me on the zip line. :D:D:D (private joke from another thread guys)

We will be zip-lining in Barbados this year but if DH enjoys it will probably do the Antigua canopy tour next year.

What did you think of the parachute drop? In Argentina it was more like a bungee jump to get down at the end of the line. That was the scariest part of the process for me.

Our group did this canopy tour shortly after it opened 2 years ago and we'll be back there in a few weeks and CANNOT WAIT TO DO IT ALL AGAIN! The 30 foot "leap of faith" as I call it was a blast but there was one girl who had a minor panic attack on the platform and it took us quite a while to calm her down enough to do it. And this was after she had completed 9 ziplines! It is just a controlled descent but being up so high is scary. The challenge course after ziplining is a workout and not for the timid and unfit. The last challenge had my heart pounding and the sweat pouring off my forehead. And yes, I'll do it again too!

Archived