North/South versus Round Trip

Gaprofitt

Hi All,

I have a question. Looking at roundtrip cruises from Vancouver that go to Glacier Bay. The north/south routes that go from Whittier go to glacier bay and college fjord. Can I justify the difference in airfare cost doing a North/South cruise versus a roundtrip if we are not doing a landtour?

Thanks,

Hi All,

I have a question. Looking at roundtrip cruises from Vancouver that go to Glacier Bay. The north/south routes that go from Whittier go to glacier bay and college fjord. Can I justify the difference in airfare cost doing a North/South cruise versus a roundtrip if we are not doing a landtour?

Thanks,

To add a one-way ticket from Anchorage to Seattle or Vancouver on top of your round trip ticket from XX to Seattle or Vancouver would be about $200/person. Not outrageous but not a small sum either.

If you are not planning on a land tour before/after I would seriously consider just the round trip cruise. It seems like the ones out of Vancouver are better than those out of Seattle for the most part. Others who have done both can add their wisdom. I have only done the one-way cruise.

Myself, I would never consider it. And I'm a big advocate of round trip Vancouver cruises, they pack PLENTY of excellent touring into 7 days. :) You are bound to get posts- so much more "scenery", etc. on a one way but actually not all that true, you can have a "sea" day going across the gulf with no scenery- ships no longer go coastal. I do not count as "touring" a bus transfer- going from Seward or Whittier to Anchorage either. :)

The round trips do a loop with little repeat since north along Vancouver Island is at night. SO, both cruises offer wonderful Alaska. If you can add AT LEAST a day or two, certainly a one way is worthwhile. :)

Myself, I would never consider it. And I'm a big advocate of round trip Vancouver cruises, they pack PLENTY of excellent touring into 7 days. :) You are bound to get posts- so much more "scenery", etc. on a one way but actually not all that true, you can have a "sea" day going across the gulf with no scenery- ships no longer go coastal. I do not count as "touring" a bus transfer- going from Seward or Whittier to Anchorage either. :)

The round trips do a loop with little repeat since north along Vancouver Island is at night. SO, both cruises offer wonderful Alaska. If you can add AT LEAST a day or two, certainly a one way is worthwhile. :)

We will probably go back the following year and do a land tour after we cruise. I can't take off 2 weeks in a row at work. We are not Holland America fans at all and prefer Princess or Carnival. The Carnival Spirit leaves on a Wednesday which doesn't work out. It looks like we really have a few options on a one way leaving Vancouver on either Sapphire or Diamond Princess. Should I completely rule out the round trips from Seattle since they don't go to Glacier Bay or this that a big deal since I will be going back to do a land tour and could so a small cruise tour to Glacier Bay/

We will probably go back the following year and do a land tour after we cruise. I can't take off 2 weeks in a row at work. We are not Holland America fans at all and prefer Princess or Carnival. The Carnival Spirit leaves on a Wednesday which doesn't work out. It looks like we really have a few options on a one way leaving Vancouver on either Sapphire or Diamond Princess. Should I completely rule out the round trips from Seattle since they don't go to Glacier Bay or this that a big deal since I will be going back to do a land tour and could so a small cruise tour to Glacier Bay/

You don't do "small cruise tours to Glacier Bay". Either your ship sails there or not. Princess does on their one ways. And, yes, it's a big deal to most. IF indeed you are planning another trip. A round trip Seattle cruise will offer you something, it's just that Princess is one of the least desirable lines for round trip Seattle.

Although you state the ship is important, especially in Alaska, what's outside the ship, may be more so for some people, it certainly is for me. Determine if the cruiseline is what is of priority for you, then book based on this interest of yours.

I have done several one ways - and for me, the price is definitely worth it as I enjoyed those cruises much more than my RT Vancouver cruise.

Though, for me, the price difference was not that much more and sometimes it was less. While the flight was more one way, the cruise itself was less as some Vancouver RT and Seattle RT cruises go for more then the one way cruises.

We sailed a one way SB on Princess Island (sister to Coral) this summer and followed the shore line the whole way. I stand by my opinion that there was more mountain sceney north of Glacier Bay N.P. The tree covered shorter "mountains" grew boring after the snow capped taller mountains further north.

Should I completely rule out the round trips from Seattle since they don't go to Glacier Bay or this that a big deal since I will be going back to do a land tour and could so a small cruise tour to Glacier Bay/

Several ships cruise to Glacier Bay out of Seattle: Norwegian Pearl, sailing on Sundays (new ship in 2007); HAL Noordam, sailing on Sundays (new ship in 2006).

Archived