Another Passport Extension?

bubbles1209

According to the news on CC home page, traveler's now have until June 1, 2009 to get passports for places like the Caribbean and the Bahamas, but places like Argentina, Chile & Brazil you will still need one, because they always required one. Wonder why the U.S. Dept. of State website at www.travel.state.gov isn't showing that change yet?:confused:

It's ridiculous... People should have a passport to travel in and out of other countries regardless of the mode of transportation... people were prepared for the new deadline, it makes NO SENSE to change it this close to the original deadline :rolleyes:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2003277952_webpassport28.html?syndication=rss

[i've read about a dozen articles on this subject, and they all say pretty much the same thing as the one above]

According to this article the timeframe is still the same for cruise passengers. I don't understand why we keep seeing different things posted here when in reality, nothing has changed? I am so confused.

Please note that none of this legislation passed the Congress. In addition the proposal ONLY applies to people arriving by ferry.

IN OTHER WORDS: Get your passport. There is no change pending in the requirements for people taking a cruise.

According to the article on Cruise Critic's home page Congress approved the 2007 Homeland Security Act this week and the deadline for passports has been extended until June 1, 2009 for Mexico, BC, and the caribbean. Therefore, it does cover cruise passengers.

90% of Americans DO NOT HAVE A PASSPORT. Thus the deadline that was original would have caused a backlog of passports issuance to 6-9 months.

What that means is that the US does not have the manpower to properly issue passports and to properly verify documents associated with them.

I for one will be releaved if the extension is passed, as I much rather have them verified correctly than not.

I think the US goverment should extend and highly advertise/regulate the issue of passports to those passengers who have current plans to travel abroad, in the next 6 + months.

If you are leaving on a cruise or by air from the USA you will need your passport to get back into the US after Jan 8th 2007. If you are leaving the US by land then you have till June 1st 2009. So if you are going on a cruise after Jan 8th 2007 make sure you get your passport. All TA's should be warning people of this anyway. Where I see a problem is now when you travel from a port in the USA and you do an eastern cruise and one of the ports is international like Nausau and then you go to ST Thomas USVI everyone on board will have to line up to show their passports because you are entering a US port. Before it was only internationals who had to do this and that was a few hundred people at most now you will be having 2900 people or so having to do this and that should be interesting to see how the cruise lines are going to deal with this. I know I am from Canada and have dealt with this many times before on my cruises out of the US, it use to take about 15 to 20 minutes to go through the lines and that was it but that was only a couple of hundred people with 2 customs officers dealing with it. With 2900 people having to do this it may take hours. Oh well maybe we can start at 4 in the morning and still have lots of time to spend on those wonderful beaches. Don't delay get your passport as soon as you can I heard on another posting that it is taking sometimes up to 6 weeks to get a passport and maybe longer as we get closer to the prime travelling time the winter month's when everyone want's to get away somewhere warm. I would check http://www.travel.state.gov to see how long a wait it may take. I work for Passport Canada and know how long it takes at peek times to get a passport in Canada. Most Canadians have passports already but there is a large volume of americans who don't and I think there will be thousands upon thousands of americans wanting their passports for that wonderful cruise this winter. So don't delay I want to see all you wonderful cruisers this winter so we can all have fun onboard our cruises.

90% of Americans DO NOT HAVE A PASSPORT. Thus the deadline that was original would have caused a backlog of passports issuance to 6-9 months.

What that means is that the US does not have the manpower to properly issue passports and to properly verify documents associated with them.

I for one will be releaved if the extension is passed, as I much rather have them verified correctly than not.

I think the US goverment should extend and highly advertise/regulate the issue of passports to those passengers who have current plans to travel abroad, in the next 6 + months.

Just a question... here it is just 3 months prior to the original deadline, and the turnaround time for passports is still 2-4 weeks... Anyone who is traveling in the near future knows about the deadline and has taken heed... and still, there is no backlog in the passport issuance...where does the 6-9 months come from??

My opinion, it is irresponsible to travel outside your country without a passport... and I don't think it's responsible of our government to contribute to this, in this day and age.

JUST GET A PASSPORT NOW!

why wait for an extension?........Just DO IT!

Everyone sailing SHOULD have or get a passport NOW!...Why gamble and not be able to sail?

BECAUSE:

Until Carnival changes it, you will still need a passport by Jan 8, 2007 (less than 100 days)

http://carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/New_Passport_Requirements.aspx

JUST GET A PASSPORT NOW!

That's what I alway's thought until my DD and I were in our local post office renewing her passport. Just behind us walked in a mom and dad with five kids all getting passports. Wouldn't be nice if they could apply those monies toward the trip.........

Thats strange! Ive searched all over CC web page and I dont see anything about the extension of getting a passport til June 2008. It still says Jan.8th 2007. Where on Carnivals sight did you read that?

CurtisB62, it is on the opening page of Cruise Critic under "Today on Cruise Critic". It is titled "Latest passport extension is boost for short cruise travelers". Hope this helps...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/travel/2003277952_webpassport28.html?syndication=rss

http://newsminer.com/2006/10/01/2436/

[i've read about a dozen articles on this subject, and they all say pretty much the same thing as the ones above]

There is so much misinformation on this subject right now. I have also read many articles, searched lawmaker's websites, and called my local senator's office.

I believe the reference to the proposed law being applicable to just ferries is incorrect. The article posted on Cruise Critic, as well as a PR by the ICLA refute this, as well.

Just a question... here it is just 3 months prior to the original deadline, and the turnaround time for passports is still 2-4 weeks... Anyone who is traveling in the near future knows about the deadline and has taken heed... and still, there is no backlog in the passport issuance...where does the 6-9 months come from??

My opinion, it is irresponsible to travel outside

To answer your question, travel industry statistics. Like I said, 90% of americans do not have a passport. Also, a close friend of mine is in the process right now of wiating for her passport and it has been 8 weeks, and still no passport. The time frame right now is getting longer and US govs estimate right now is 6 weeks, not 2-4 as you stated. This will be longer as the weeks pass but as the deadline approaches and passes it will grow and grow.

My opinion, it is irresponsible to travel outside

To answer your question, travel industry statistics. Like I said, 90% of americans do not have a passport. Also, a close friend of mine is in the process right now of wiating for her passport and it has been 8 weeks, and still no passport. The time frame right now is getting longer and US govs estimate right now is 6 weeks, not 2-4 as you stated. This will be longer as the weeks pass but as the deadline approaches and passes it will grow and grow.

LMAO, they have ALWAYS stated 6 weeks.... and it has always taken about 2-4, several on here lately have experienced no lag. Sure, there are always some delays depending on which agency is issuing the passport... I don't ssee it EVER taking 6-9 months as you mentioned. Granted you have people that wait til the last minute, but not that many, LMAO

Doesn't make sense to me not to have one -- the pro rata cost over the 10-year validity of a passport is under $1 a month. Even some of the Caribbean island nations -- Barbados comes to mind -- already require Americans to have a passport.

On the other hand, there may well be a spate of well-priced, last-minute cruise cabins in mid-Janaury, when folks realize they can't visit some of these places and return to the country:D .

Someone might want to independently confirm this, but when applying for DH's passport, the expiration according to the application documents is now FIVE years, not ten like when I got mine. I am going to look now, but I believe that is correct.

EDIT: SEE NEXT POST, this is INCORRECT thank goodness! :)

Doesn't make sense to me not to have one -- the pro rata cost over the 10-year validity of a passport is under $1 a month.

Regardless if you break the cost down by year, month, or day, you still have to pay the fee up front in one lump sum. I can understand that it may not make sense to someone who is paying $250 to add an additional $100ish to that. That adds 40% to the cost of the cruise. I'm not arguing that passport shouldn't be required, and in fact, I have one. I am saying that what seems a reasonable cost to you might not to someone else.

Others say if you don't want to spend the money on a passport, just stay home. But cruise lines are in this to make money. If passport requirements result in decreased demand, prices will go down. If they stay down long enough, those of us who are glad to take advantage of lower pricing will notice a decrease in quality and even more additional charge items on board.

Again, I'm not arguing that passports shouldn't be required. I think there are many ways that the government can make getting passports cheaper and easier while retaining a high level of security. Just because getting a passport is more difficult and costly than a driver's license doesn't mean it has to be.

Security, safety, your own good, should all come before anything else. I am ticked off at our Govt for allowing this to go on so long. On 9/12/01, passports should have been mandatory, period. I personally couldn't care less about the inconvenience to others, the cost, etc. If someone ends up stuck in a foreign country, they will have wished they paid that small price :o A passport should have been mandatory long ago...

Security, safety, your own good, should all come before anything else. I am ticked off at our Govt for allowing this to go on so long. On 9/12/01, passports should have been mandatory, period. I personally couldn't care less about the inconvenience to others, the cost, etc. If someone ends up stuck in a foreign country, they will have wished they paid that small price :o A passport should have been mandatory long ago...

This all falls back under the point I made to mrdood about his woes.....it is so easy to say what others should do in any given case because as humans we never think the worst is going to happen to us or somehow doesn't apply to us; but in this case, those lobbying for the extension are going to be the very ones trapped in a foreign country and having to go through a zillion miles of red tape to get out and then come home and whine for a free cruise or worse, that this was somehow someone other than their own fault. Chris and Randy are right, regardless of the cost, it is wise to travel with a passport if leaving the US without exception. I also agree that this cost (which is only payable once every 10 years for adults) should be factored into the price of cruising and if you cannot afford a passport, stay home until you can. The ships, the ocean and the fun will still be there when you have your passport in hand.

Archived