Cruising Journals

JanetMarie

I hope no one kills me for reviving such an old thread but I just feel like sharing.

Yesterday I was randomly browsing the stores and discovered the perfect, in my opinion, cruise journal.

journalcover.jpg

journal-maury.jpg

Its a Korean design by Jetoy.

here's a product page with pictures of the inside. Its all in Korean but there's many pictures.

I hope no one kills me for reviving such an old thread but I just feel like sharing.

Yesterday I was randomly browsing the stores and discovered the perfect, in my opinion, cruise journal.

journalcover.jpg

journal-maury.jpg

Its a Korean design by Jetoy.

here's a product page with pictures of the inside. Its all in Korean but there's many pictures.

I like that one. What does the front say? "Take a Little Trip"?

I don't have a Barnes and Noble around me, and I've never even thought to check the journal section. I have a Travel journal, but that's for all our trips...not just cruising. I would love to pick up one just for cruising, because there wasn't enough room to write everything I wanted to last time.

Anyone else have pics of their journals?

• 3 months later...

I just came across this old thread, but I hope there's still some interest.

Buying a new "cruise journal" is one of my delights in planning each cruise. I usually find them in Barnes & Noble, and over the years I have standardized on hard-bound 4x6 size for several reasons:

1. Spiral notebooks were getting me searched in airports, even before 9/11. The curly wire always aroused suspicion for some reason.

2. Spiral notebooks become a storage problem because the wires get tangled. Also, the pages rip out too easily.

3. I often write on airplanes, and a smaller notebook makes it easy to cover with my hand to discourage the "looky-loo" in the seat beside me. Whenever someone sees you writing, they always seem to assume you're writing about them. If they're interesting enough, I often am! The smaller notebook is also easier to carry around in my purse. The little Moleskins are nice.

Since I often cruise alone, my journal becomes my best friend. I can sit on deck for hours, recording everything I want to remember. People have approached me and said, "We've walked around this deck all morning, and you're still here, just writing away!"

Well, I do happen to be a writer by profession, so that makes it easy. I enjoy escaping from computers to longhand.

If you're new to journaling, I have one suggestion. Buy a notebook with high-quality paper, use an archival quality pen, and only write on one side of the page. I've got journals in plain composition books written on both sides in ballpoint that have bled through. I learned my lesson the hard way.

And for the sake of your finger, make sure the paper is very smooth or you'll get a callous if you write a lot. I have a permanent one on the outside of my ring finger on my right hand.

At last count, I think I have 34 volumes of cruise journals. Since I have no children, I'm wondering who will read them next (if anybody). Quite a few of them hold some juicy stories!

• 5 months later...

Why, thank you! :) Turning the journals into a book is something I've always wanted to do but more pressing projects (like making a living) keep getting in the way. I hope someday not too far off, I will. I've had quite a few shipboard romances and "insider"-type experiences, so the book wouldn't be lacking in the "steam" department. But writing about people still living is a tricky proposition, and has also held me back.

A few years ago, I wrote a novel set on a cruise ship that was meant to be first in a series (sort of like "The Love Boat" with a changing cast of characters but without the silliness). One agent was interested, had me rewrite the whole thing to shorten it, then rejected it.

Since then, I've stuck to non-fiction. The truth isn't as vulnerable to bad advice as fiction.

But if you'd like to see what I have done lately, visit www.worklikeacat.com. If I could combine cats and cruising, I'd be all set. Unfortunately, they don't allow cats on cruise ships. :D

Karen, your site is hilarious. I will have to explore it further. I do work with primarily women, and is not the feline considered feminine in many respects? I would, if I were you, go ahead with your books; who cares if these people are living or dead, no one but themselves will recognize the characters. ;) . Who knows, reading your books while aboard cruises will become the new craze.

I will be looking for these books, so get on it....:p

Denise, I've always thought that "Men are from Dogs, Women are from Cats." When you consider all the men occupying the corner officers, it explains why Corporate America promotes working like a dog instead of a cat.

I just think it's too bad no cat has ever been trained to be a seeing-eye cat or whatever so it could take a cruise like some companion dogs do, complete with special poopy turf laid out on their balconies.

Then I could write "How to Cruise Like a Cat." :D

Karen

That all is so cute.

I love cats too, always have, and always have had a cat !!!

We have a tabby now that is white under hair with black tips. She looks black until you pet her the wrong way...and we all know cats like being rubbed the right way.... She is like the moon, and her name is Luna.

We also have a dog. Her name is Maddy. She is eager to please and gives attention, in stark contrast to Luna who expects to be pleased and given attention !!!

Tonight I worked like a dog, so am in real need of reading your articles and site. I am a nurse, and I have yet to find a way to not work my butt off; short of going on with school....of which I am not interested in, as it was hard going back after 25 years at that, I don't see a change in the near future.

I always thought men were more like dogs too and women like cats. (They are open and honest...it shows in their face), and we can be private and within ourselves ( leave me alone..) and sneaky. Sorry if offending anybody, but I raised 4 girls and 1 boy, was married twice, and that's the way I see it. :D

Also about the seeing eye dogs...what do people do that are allergic to dogs? Not go out like those with dog can do, I guess.

I think people should be able to take their cats anywhere people take their dogs. Is not a cat a companion as well? What's fair should be fair. There's my 2 cents.

• 4 weeks later...

Buying supplies for 3 cats, I spend a lot of time in PetSmart (PetsMart, whatever. Can never remember how they capitalize it). Quite a few people bring their dogs (who poop and pee all over the floor), but I never see anybody with a cat.

I think it's because so many cats tend to fly off the handle when they encounter strange animals. I was thinking which of my cats I'd take with me anywhere who might not go postal on me, and it's got to be Fred, my 15-year-old.

He posed with me for my book jacket at a professional photo shoot and behaved like a supermodel. Only once or twice did he make a half-hearted attempt to leave.

But I didn't see how truly peeved he was with the whole thing until I saw the proofs of all the pictures the photographer took. In some of the last ones, the look of disgust on Fred's face as he stared straight at the camera was priceless. But he never moved.

I guess cats' personalities are just more unpredictable than dogs', which is why you don't see them out socializing as much.

I scrap for therapy, the fact that I'm preserving memories is just an added bonus. :)

I feel the same way! I totally lose track of time and forget to eat when I am scrapbooking. It's even better when I am making a scrapbook for a gift - nothing else like it! :p

• 1 month later...

hmmmm - jounals - pics - not necessarily fancy scrapbooking, just putting pics in albums -- just the thread I was looking for!!

and Karen - we don't have kids either - I don't think nieces/nephews etc will be interested in my pics/journals - --

Corkey Carol

I just made my own cruise journal - I bought a plain small chip-board spiral journal and covered it with patterned and plain card stock and added some stamped embellishments - It's my 1st try at a travel journal but I think it turned out really well...

travel_journal_small.jpg.b205eed0c580c50bb35e0caed78dcdf2.jpg

I just made my own cruise journal - I bought a plain small chip-board spiral journal and covered it with patterned and plain card stock and added some stamped embellishments - It's my 1st try at a travel journal but I think it turned out really well...

Nice - most of the time when i want a notebook just to take notes on (than I can transfer to a fancy journal) I buy them at Wal-Mart - I like the ones with the pockets inside. Corkey Carol

I've been on 3 cruises. On the last 2, I've brought a journal book and recorded all our activities/meals, etc. (After the first cruise, I found I'd filled exactly half the book, so I brought the same one on our cruise last month and finished filling it.) It was nice having a record of our last cruise on this current one so we could compare.

One thing I also bring with me is a glue stick. This way I can add memorabilia (ticket stubs, shipboard photos, etc) as I go, to lessen the chance I'll lose track of it before I get home.

That's a good idea - to use the same book for about 2 cruises because I also do not finish my journals -- I always had this idea of using one journal and one or two photo albums per cruise - but now that I am trying to downsize on my "stuff" that's a good idea.

Corkey

• 4 weeks later...

CORKEY ~ very nice journal!

One thing that I really enjoy doing on each cruise is to take a cardstock sheet in yellow or blue or whatever color you choose. I typically get a large piece, almost two feet in length. Then I paste scrapebook stuff on it like boats, a pic of the sun, etc. Then I attach a pen with a ribbon and hang it on our outside cabin door. Folks come by and sign their names and where they are from, along with well wishes.

I know we're speaking of journals and this bit of advice is in ref to scrapebooking, but it came to mind as I was re-reading thru the thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to make a journal the next time I cruise. I always say I'm going to, and it never happens! I want to make a scrapbook too... I have all my stuff from our Alaska cruise (last summer) and it's just waiting for me to make a scrapbook. :D

Check out the scrapbook threads on here, I have picked up alot of good ideas there, even a friend that I email almost daily with now. We might even plan a cruise in a couple years together. Happy Scrappin'. :p Also there is a photobook thread, that is another great idea for all your photos.

CORKEY ~ very nice journal!

One thing that I really enjoy doing on each cruise is to take a cardstock sheet in yellow or blue or whatever color you choose. I typically get a large piece, almost two feet in length. Then I paste scrapebook stuff on it like boats, a pic of the sun, etc. Then I attach a pen with a ribbon and hang it on our outside cabin door. Folks come by and sign their names and where they are from, along with well wishes.

I know we're speaking of journals and this bit of advice is in ref to scrapebooking, but it came to mind as I was re-reading thru the thread.

I love this idea; what do you do with it when you take it home at the end of your cruise?

• 2 months later...

Hi Debra, since the cardstock is 2 ft in length and too large for inserting into the scrapbook, I cut it into a couple of pieces and scrapbook from there. A lot of folks will sign their names on it, and I will try to keep that part of the cardstock together. Hope I clarified for you!:p

Hi Debra, since the cardstock is 2 ft in length and too large for inserting into the scrapbook, I cut it into a couple of pieces and scrapbook from there. A lot of folks will sign their names on it, and I will try to keep that part of the cardstock together. Hope I clarified for you!:p

you should take a picture of it to put intot he scrapbook with the pieces that you take from it! that would be cool - and you could save the "look"

~Kimmy