Question about price reductions

ILoveScotland

If a cruise line reduces a price long after you've booked a cruise, and you qualify for the price reduction, is your TA obligated to pass the reduction on to you? Or can the TA say it goes against their policy?

This issue came up today, and I finally got the reduction but not without a lot of hassle from the TA. It will help in the future if I know what to expect should it happen again.

TA's can set any policy they want for their own business. The policies from the cruiselines vary widely from one to another as to whether a previously booked passenger 'qualifies' for a price reduction, and often you will qualify for one promotion but not another even within from the same line. So with that out of the way, and going with the assumption that we are talking about a reduction for which you do qualify--nearly all TA's will reduce the price for you. If you have one that says their policy is to NOT pass along price reductions, then you need to shop for another TA.

Several years ago I began booking through a cruise line. I presently have a cruise for December 2 through them. When I called last week to inquire as to when my final payment was due, the CVP I always deal with offered to give me the discount to take advantage of the reduced price - I'd forgotten to ask about it.

If a cruise line reduces a price long after you've booked a cruise, and you qualify for the price reduction, is your TA obligated to pass the reduction on to you? Or can the TA say it goes against their policy?

This issue came up today, and I finally got the reduction but not without a lot of hassle from the TA. It will help in the future if I know what to expect should it happen again.

Obligated: as a TA I say yes, as long as I am aware of this whether you find the reduction or I do: am I obligated to check for reductions periodically? NO, but it is good customer service to keep my eyes on possible lower prices. Some agents don't bother, others are deligent about this. Do you always catch them? NO, we only have so much time. If we checked every cliants bookings every day we would be working 12 to 15 hours per day. I do try and check about every week or so. If a cliant finds something I always follow through. I just did one last month, my commission was cut by $81 because of it, but it is still my job to get you the best possible deal. NMnita

Archived