Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged threads)

CruisinOnWheels

We recently heard that Houston is spending millions on constructing a new "state of the art" cruiship terminal.

I was wondering if anyone knows if they have entered into discussions with any of the major cruise lines to locate ships there, and what date they hope to have the new terminal open by?

I guess they are hoping to lure some cruise dollars away from sister city Galveston...which seems to have a pretty old cruise ship terminal?

I have heard the same thing, but only as a rumor. I wish someone from Houston would help us out. Not only would it lure some Galveston ships to Houston it would, most likely open up the cruise line business, that, until about 8 years ago didn't even exist. I would love to see NCL stay in Houston which I am sure they would. Add a few more lines and they would be able to pay for the embarkation port in no time I would think. NMnita

You can take a five-minute video tour (Window Media file, 3.8 MB) of the new Bayport Cruise Terminal facility here:

http://portofhouston.com/cruiseinfo/cruiseinfo.html

It is scheduled to open late summer/early fall next year with one berth. Two more berths are planned once agreements are reached with other cruiselines. The Norweigen Dream currently sails (in winter) from the old Barbour's Cut facility which cannot handle larger ships. NCL will sail from the new berth in Bayport but whether the ND or a newer larger ship is unknown.

Located on the western shores of Galveston Bay, Bayport Cruise Terminal’s proximity to fine restaurants and hotels and access to both Houston airports make it an ideal point of disembarkation.

Where exactly are they building it? I read the information but still cannot figure out the exact location. I am guessing a little closer in than the port of galveston and even port of houston, which is out in the middle of no where and really rather funky.

Close proximity to fine restaurants & hotels??? :confused: I guess they are speaking of the Kemah boardwalk? Unless there are some plans to build restaurants and hotels, there is nothing within even long walking distance. It was my understanding that this was mainly a cargo terminal and that was the reason the Seabrook area fought so hard to keep it from happening. They also didn't want the railroad that's to be connected to transport the cargo. I'm not sure if the cruise terminal section was added to help get this deal built but I find it odd that this $81 million dollar cruise terminal is set to open next year with no commitments from anyone other than NCL. Haven't most cruise lines published their schedules through 2007 and some into 2008? I live fairly close by so I think I'll drive over there this weekend to see what the area is looking like. I'll report back to you.

"...think I'll drive over there this weekend to see what the area is looking like. I'll report back to you."

Hey, Nauti-lady, we live in Clear Lake and drove over there last week. Take Port Road east from Hwy 146. The port facility is just north of El Jardin. You can see quite a bit of the new port facilities, but, unfortunately, the access to the area where I presume the cruise terminal will be located was blocked off. Let us know if you manage to get a better view.

Like you, I am puzzled that my money is being spent on this facility without any reported commitment from the cruise lines. Perhaps, as someone mentioned, the cruise lines are just waiting until there is a definite completion date. Sure hope so.

Just my Money_2_cents_prv.gif

"If you build it... they will come."

Kat110105_emYA11_prv.gif

:D :D

Maybe this is why Princess is not in the Houston/Galveston area for 2007/2008 season. Are you sure NCL even has a ship commited to the Houston area for 07-08? Only thing I've seen in the Gulf area is the Spirit out of New Orleans for then.

Just because the schedules are out does not mean they wont change them. Look at all those on Rhapsody for fall next year that had to rebook or cancel cruises because it was pulled. Also the schedules are only out thru April 2008, and I am seeing some gaps, especially for RCCL in the fall.

I believe they will come. This area is rapidly growing in the cruise port industry. It is a good central location and easier to get to for those on the West Coast to allow them to do a Caribbean cruise without extra long flights.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so glad to find this thead.. I ran across the new port info by accident and was beginning to think I had imagined it.. We have been planning a Carnival trip for next fall, now I think I will hold off and hope NCL is in the new port then.. We love the free stlye cruising.. My husband was really balking about 2 formal nights and assigned seating..lol

We love the free stlye cruising.. My husband was really balking about 2 formal nights and assigned seating..lol

:D Yes Carolyn, my husband is exactly the same way. But we do like Princess too with their Anytime Dining....now if they just did optional formal nights as well.

How was the Dream the second time around?

Karen, Princess isn't showing any caribbean next fall, I am hoping perhaps they are going to be in the new terminal.. We can only go in the fall.. I would like to sail on Princess.. I will be watching like a hawk who comes into the new terminal..

The Dream was 100 times better the second time around:)

edit: I meant to say Princess isn's showing anything from Galveston next fall...

Sorry it has taken me so long to back here. We did take a drive to the port construction area but just like ClearLakeCruisers we were not able to get close enough to get a good view of what's being built. We will keep trying every so often and will certainly let you all know if we have any news. We are also in Clear Lake so it's just a few miles away from us.

We leave Saturday on the Dream and will be looking to see if we can see anything from the ship. When we get back we too will drive down and see if we can get any view at all - I'll be keeping tabs on it too. I do think it will help Houston and the cruise business in Texas as the 2 main complaints about Galveston are the long distance to the port from the airports and the traffic congestion trying to get on board - have to park away and shuttle in. BUT Houston is just not pleasing to most people's eyes and the long ramp is hard for some to navigate but I love the no traffic and easy access into the terminal from parking right there. It will be a great adition for business and I deffinately think the cruise lines will take advantage of it BUT I do not like the destruction of the coast line - money over nature as usual. Hope they do something to help the wildlife and environment as much as they are distroying it. They are trying hard in Galveston to rebuild the wetlands. Debbie

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anything new on the Bayport cruise port? I was reading that it will berth 3 cruise ships.. That is exciting.. I did a search trying to find up to date news but to no avail..

Haven't seen/heard anything new from the local news sources. Like you, I did hear that the terminal will eventually berth three ships. I just want to hear something definite about what ships they will be and when they will arrive!!!

Think I'll take another drive over that way when we get back from out of town next week. I'll let everyone know if I learn/see anything interesting.

• 2 weeks later...
Is there anything new on the Bayport cruise port? I was reading that it will berth 3 cruise ships.. That is exciting.. I did a search trying to find up to date news but to no avail..

Haven't seen/heard anything new from the local news sources. Like you, I did hear that the terminal will eventually berth three ships. I just want to hear something definite about what ships they will be and when they will arrive!!!

:confused: We live in East Texas. And we are cruising on the Ecstasy Dec. 11, 2006. When we went to pick up our Docs last week, our travel agent said that the Houston Termainal was completely closing and there would be no ships out of there for the spring. That was the 1st I had heard of it and my Daddy lives in Baytown. This is my 1st cruise but my best friend's 3rd.

Will definately keep watching now to see what happens. By the way. The reason I do not sail out of the Port of Houston is because the port charges are more expensive.:confused:

:confused: We live in East Texas. And we are cruising on the Ecstasy Dec. 11, 2006. When we went to pick up our Docs last week, our travel agent said that the Houston Termainal was completely closing and there would be no ships out of there for the spring. That was the 1st I had heard of it and my Daddy lives in Baytown. This is my 1st cruise but my best friend's 3rd.

Will definately keep watching now to see what happens. By the way. The reason I do not sail out of the Port of Houston is because the port charges are more expensive.:confused:

You are right, once the NCL Dream leaves, there are no more cruise ships out of the port of Houston.. I had no idea the port of Houston port charges were higher than Galveston.. Ya learn something new every day..lol..

I saw this on SeaTrade Insider this morning.. Interesting...

Houston appoints cruise marketing manager

13/11/2006

The Port of Houston Authority appointed Kay Adams as cruise line sales and marketing manager in the Operations Division.

Main responsibilities will include negotiating contracts with cruise lines, overseeing operations at Barbours Cut and the future Bayport Cruise Terminals, and developing marketing strategies for Bayport’s passenger facilities.

Adams brings experience in both law and the cruise industry. She served as the Texas district sales and business development manager for Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Her legal career includes working in criminal and civil defense for attorneys Olney Wallis and Richard ‘Racehorse’ Haynes & Associates. Prior to joining the Port of Houston Authority, she was general counsel for Covington Adams Development Group.

Galveston's terminals are relatively new, we built one in the 80s that is now part of Terminal 1 as it was too small for modern ships. Galveston Wharves is adding a second expanding boarding entrance to Terminal 2 as the Rhapsody is going to Asia and one of RCLs Voyager class ships in coming in.

The majority of the year we have had Carnival's Ecstasy and Conquest, Splendour of the Seas and Rhapsody. The Grand has been spending the winter here with Western Carib Cruises.

Both RCL and Carnival have invested millions of their own money in their Galveston facilities, so we don't see them wanting to leave any time soon. The access to the ships has also been expanded so the old traffic hangups for the most part are gone.

I get the Port of Galveston Newsletters and follow them with interest, but the Cruise Lines determine what and where and they never tell you the why; of course, it's all about the money.

Yes Galveston is a distance from Houston Airports, but it's the closest port to the Gulf for a ship.

Our wish is for more itineraries out of Galveston, new ships and itineraries out of La Porte wouldn't be bad either. A short drive to your ship sure beats flying.

Archived