Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged threads)

CruisinOnWheels

Further info from my POH contact:

She anticipates the retail area having a grand opening either 10/07 or 01/08 depending on spring rains. The whole retail site thing is still very early in planning stages with no developer contracted yet.

The timeline for terminals 2 and 3 will be dependent upon the cruiselines themselves, but her best guess is two years between each terminal. It's only terminal 3 that will be reserved for/custom built for a super project.

These are all hopeful goals at this point since it is all still in its infancy.

The Travel section of today's Houston Chronicle is focused on Texas cruising. Editor Harry Shattuck has a nice article on the current fleet. According to his sources both RCI and Carnival claim to be committed to Galveston for the long term. This jibes with what In the Pink is reporting, that Bayport is looking to market to higher per diem cruises.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/travel/cruises/4578966.html

Snoozeman, the Barbour's Cut cruise terminal is scheduled to close permanently when the Norwegian Dream leaves later this spring.

Does anyone have any idea if Princess might be one of the cruise lines to use the new terminal in 2008? We have a FCB that we have to use by l2/08 and are really hoping to be able to sail from a nearby port if at all possible. I have been doing research on Princess' website for 2008, but don' t want to book if there is a possibility that they might bring a ship back to Texas in 2008. Hope someone has a prediction.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Houston will never become the next Miami, the reason that Miami is Miami is because they are close to a major airport with good connections and can operate a variety of cruises from the location.

Basically, 75% of Caribbean ports can be reached on a 7 night cruise, as well as Bermuda and the Bahamas.

Houston/Galveston, unless you go to 10/11 night cruises, you are stuck with nothing further away than Jamaica.

Houston will never become the next Miami, the reason that Miami is Miami is because they are close to a major airport with good connections and can operate a variety of cruises from the location.

Basically, 75% of Caribbean ports can be reached on a 7 night cruise, as well as Bermuda and the Bahamas.

Houston/Galveston, unless you go to 10/11 night cruises, you are stuck with nothing further away than Jamaica.

While I agree that Houston will never be another Miami, I don't agree that Houston is out of the running for being a major cruise port. Yes, Houston can not offer the Eastern Caribbean, Nassau or Bermuda on a 7 day cruise, (been there done that). Yes, the airports are not as close to the terminal and yes, Houston does not have the Miami Beaches & tourist appeal. Also, the 75% of Caribbean ports from Miami on a 7 day cruise is way over the top.

What Houston does have is access to two major airports within a reasonable distance of the terminal. Better flight schedules & cost from Western and Mid-Western US cities. A broader population base within a one day drive of the port. A strong Cultural Arts, Shopping, Restaurant and Entertainment base. Fair year-round weather with historically less interruption from major storms.

From the discussion on this thread it also appears that Houston is going for the more upscale cruise passenger which many times translates to the longer 10-11 cruises. This will expand Houston's port of call base to many emerging Central American, South American and Southern Caribbean ports. Still leaving space for the shorter cruises to Gulf Coast & Key West, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Multiple Mexican ports and some Central American ports.

While I agree that Houston will never be another Miami, I don't agree that Houston is out of the running for being a major cruise port. Yes, Houston can not offer the Eastern Caribbean, Nassau or Bermuda on a 7 day cruise, (been there done that). Yes, the airports are not as close to the terminal and yes, Houston does not have the Miami Beaches & tourist appeal. Also, the 75% of Caribbean ports from Miami on a 7 day cruise is way over the top.

What Houston does have is access to two major airports within a reasonable distance of the terminal. Better flight schedules & cost from Western and Mid-Western US cities. A broader population base within a one day drive of the port. A strong Cultural Arts, Shopping, Restaurant and Entertainment base. Fair year-round weather with historically less interruption from major storms.

From the discussion on this thread it also appears that Houston is going for the more upscale cruise passenger which many times translates to the longer 10-11 cruises. This will expand Houston's port of call base to many emerging Central American, South American and Southern Caribbean ports. Still leaving space for the shorter cruises to Gulf Coast & Key West, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Multiple Mexican ports and some Central American ports.

We were on the Conquest last week and we were told that the Conquest was sailing Sold Out more often than any of their other ships. So this has a lot to say about this area and the drive-in customer base that Texas has. I agree with Texreno

Something I've noticed is a lot of the people poo-poohing the success of the Bayport terminal do not live in this area.

I've been living in Houston for 43 years. If this place didn't have something going for it, it wouldn't be the fourth largest city in the US, third largest port, etc, etc.

Yes, we're gonna have a cruise ship terminal. It may take a few years to get off the ground, but it's going to be something to contend with.

• 2 weeks later...

Three threads concerning the same topic have been merged. All posts are now on one thread in date/time order.

I sincerely hope this will be satisfactory to all!

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Something I've noticed is a lot of the people poo-poohing the success of the Bayport terminal do not live in this area.

I've been living in Houston for 43 years. If this place didn't have something going for it, it wouldn't be the fourth largest city in the US, third largest port, etc, etc.

Yes, we're gonna have a cruise ship terminal. It may take a few years to get off the ground, but it's going to be something to contend with.

I think Bayport should do well. Barbours Cut can not handle cruis ships larger than the Norwegian Dream and whie we were on the Dream last week they officialy announce that the Dream would shortly be making its last run from Houston and that NCL was going to skip Houston next season. Initaily NCL will be the only line out of Bayport when they return in the Fall of `08 with a larger ship since the Dream will likely stay in Europe until it is retired. (Too bad, I like the Dream & Wind)

The captian did not say which ship would return in `08, but that NCL has comitted to Houston. I liked the Barbours Cut as it was without a doubt one of the smoothest embarkations of the 7 cruises I have taken with San Pedro CA being the worst (all 3 times took hours in San Pedro).

We found Houston a great port city and we had fun chasing around Houston for the rest of the weekend when we disembarked last Sat.

• 1 month later...

Houston names communications manager

15/5/2007

http://www.cruise-community.com/ShowStory.asp?ID=11862

Hopefully, her experience with advertising and editorial media strategies will bring the cruise lines and pax to the new Bayport Project Site in droves!

Kat020105_emYA15_prv.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Click here http://www.portofhouston.com/publicrelations/meetings.html for Port Commission of the Port of Houston Authority public sessions information and agendas.

Please note, last updated: 05/24/07.

Click here http://www.portofhouston.com/BayportTerminalProgress/bayportcontact.html for the list of past and future community meetings where Port of Houston Authority staff provide updates on the Bay port Container and Cruise Terminal Construction.

Please note, last updated: 03/05/07.

Click here for Port of Houston Authority Bayport Terminal progress http://www.portofhouston.com/BayportTerminalProgress/index.html.

Please note, last updated: 02/15/07.

It appears they are not too speedy in updating their website.

Kat110105_emYA11_prv.gif

Click here for Port of Houston Authority Bayport Terminal progress http://www.portofhouston.com/BayportTerminalProgress/index.html.

Please note' date=' [b']l[/b]ast updated: 02/15/07.

It appears they are not too speedy in updating their website.

Kat110105_emYA11_prv.gif

Or they are like me and forget to update the date when they do update.....

Enjoy

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Archived