Houston building a "state of the art" cruise terminal?? (Merged threads)

CruisinOnWheels

Thanks for the update. We went to Kemah Boardwalk on Sunday and I kept looking for where they might be building the terminal. The section of hwy. 146 around kemah is called Bayport Blvd. on the street signs but I saw no signs of construction. Does anyone know exactly where the site is?

Kemah Boardwalk is great but parking is a nightmare! All the parking spots nearby are paid parking --$6, and on the weekends, there is atleast 30 people or so driving around looking. We went before summer on a sunday and after driving around for 45 minutes, we went somewhere else. But we went this past sunday and just lucked out and got a spot. They keep adding to the boardwalk (new roller coaster) and taking away parking. It was my understanding at one time that the Landry's corp. was going to build a boarkwalk like Kemah in Galveston. It was rumored to be where the old Flagship hotel is. Havent heard anything lately.

Thanks for the update. We went to Kemah Boardwalk on Sunday and I kept looking for where they might be building the terminal. The section of hwy. 146 around kemah is called Bayport Blvd. on the street signs but I saw no signs of construction. Does anyone know exactly where the site is?

We also looked around the other day.... couldn't see any construction. If it is supposed to be built across from the boardwalk, I just can't imagine how they are going to position it. But anyhow- this is wonderful news:D

I need to go pick up a Chronicle.

Can someone explain what all this means? I'm confused:confused: What is so great about having another cruise terminal? Does that mean MORE cruiselines will go out of it other than Princess, Carnival, and RCCL. Would they be 7 day or shorter?

Can someone explain what all this means? I'm confused:confused: What is so great about having another cruise terminal? quote]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Can someone explain what all this means? I'm confused:confused: What is so great about having another cruise terminal? quote]

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I said "I need to go pick up a Chronicle" as in the our newspaper the Houston Chronicle. But right now I just wanted to know what all this about a Bayport Terminal means.

I'm sure the paper would just say what OP copied

Can someone explain what all this means? I'm confused:confused: What is so great about having another cruise terminal? Does that mean MORE cruiselines will go out of it other than Princess, Carnival, and RCCL. Would they be 7 day or shorter?

Princess is gone and RCCL will be gone after April 08.

I've done the Conquest and the Ecstasy doesn't save much money--might as well go two more days for just a little more money. I love Princess and hate they left. I was looking forward to trying RCCL but I can't go again til next summer.

I really hope this new terminal will bring some other lines back in.

I'm pretty sure this terminal (Bayport) is the same port NCL home-ported out of (if not someone will correct me), but it is not Kemah. For those not familiar with Houston, it's only a few miles difference, but is an actual industry/cruise pier port vs. a touristy area. Hope this helps.

The old cruise terminal was at the existing Barbours Cut container terminal. The Bayport terminal is actually inbetween Barbours Cut and Kemah. The container terminal is actually in the Bayport channel and the cruise terminal will front onto Galveston Bay. I drove by today and you can just see the roof of the cruise terminal. There is alot of construction.

Those familiar with the area go east on Port Blvd from Hwy146 and where you turn onto Todville Road you can just make it out.

Oh thanks for the directions. I wanted to know where it was. That is just this side of the Kemah bridge. I always hated Barbours Cut terminal because the area it was in was so nasty. Very industrial and junk piled up all along the road leading to the terminal. I might drive over there tomorrow to see if I can spot it.

And I also hope more lines will come in and hopefully do some shorter cruises or cruises to nowhere for nice quick weekend getaways.:)

Bayport is currently in use as industrial and the cruise terminals will be a nice addition. The construction delays are a factor as to no long term contracts yet from a cruise line.

Carnival loaned millions to the Port of Galveston after the Conquest came here due to Katrina. The long term plans for them is to remain in Galveston. The ships they have here are successful, sail decent routes and are priced within reason. Look at the rates for Ecstacy the week of Thanksgiving!

RCCL has no plans for a year round ship here after the Rhapsody sails away. The Voyager is here for a short time.

Princess, Celebrity and the Splendour all were short term assignments, and all did well for passenger count.

The bad news is that ports within the sailing range of Galveston are crowded. The recent bad news about Jamaica (no surprise) will not help. The Caymans and Cozumel are crowded with ships on 7 day agendas.

In my humble opinion we will have a NCL ship of decent caliber here late in 2008 or after. RCCL has been a little snotty to us, they eliminated the sales manager that called on travel agents in the Gulf Coast area. (I am not a travel agent, I just met her when we were invited aboard the Freedom of the Seas for the two-nighter).

The port at Barbours Cut (not the same as Bayport) was never a decent cruise terminal, the ships (NCL) were lousy and the cruise reports on this board prove that to be true.

Kemah is busy enough! The cruise lines will help some, but the City of Houston and the local chambers will need to unite to extend and have people travel in early for their departures. Time will tell. One note for Kemah visitors, park in the garage. The parking is free and we usually do well looking there.

For me, I hope it happens. We live close to the terminal, and the ability to travel from a Gulf Coast port has been a favorite of ours for 5 years.

For the poster from Deer Park, I have a senior at the high school this year! :)

The old cruise terminal was at the existing Barbours Cut container terminal. The Bayport terminal is actually inbetween Barbours Cut and Kemah. The container terminal is actually in the Bayport channel and the cruise terminal will front onto Galveston Bay. I drove by today and you can just see the roof of the cruise terminal. There is alot of construction. Those familiar with the area go east on Port Blvd from Hwy146 and where you turn onto Todville Road you can just make it out.
Oh thanks for the directions. I wanted to know where it was. That is just this side of the Kemah bridge. I always hated Barbours Cut terminal because the area it was in was so nasty. Very industrial and junk piled up all along the road leading to the terminal. I might drive over there tomorrow to see if I can spot it. And I also hope more lines will come in and hopefully do some shorter cruises or cruises to nowhere for nice quick weekend getaways.:)

For a not-too-much-of-a-detailed-map, click http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=7978509&postcount=6 for post #6 on this newly-merged-again-thread.

Kat070106YA43_prv.gif

I, too, recently drove by the cruise terminal and they appear to be making progress on its construction - a couple of months ago there was nothing to be seen on the site and now you can see the structure going up from Port Road. Also heard recently that Port road will be expanded into a four-line divided roadway from Hwy 146 to the cruise terminal. Hope they add some landscaping too. Never could believe how ugly the route to the Barbour's Cut facility was. Talk about a bad impression for the area!!!

Previous posts mentioned that there was a plan to offer a shuttle boat from the cruise port to the Kemah Boardwalk. That sounds like a winner!

I agree with the previous poster that the local Chambers and individual travel-orientated businesses need to get together to provide a package deal - perhaps including a shuttle from both airports - to encourage cruisers to arrive early/stay late and spend some time in the Houston/Clear Lake area. I understand that some thought is being given to that by a local group (Bay Area Economic ???) My hope is that someone on that group monitors CC to learn what people want and what their experiences are currently. Think they might like to hire me so I can get paid for the time I spend here???:D :D

RCCL currently has Voyager coming back in 12/08 and sailing out of Galveston until 04/09.

Nothing is year-round...

We've enjoyed the Rhapsody and have suggested this ship to our friends. On our most recent cruise aboard you could tell that the crew didn't want to leave, and the customer service was at a lower level than before.

Add in a mildew and rotted hole in our shower and they didn't get too excited until day thee when I posted the photo on Cruise Critic. Fixed the next day. Hummm...:confused:

Bayport is currently in use as industrial and the cruise terminals will be a nice addition. The construction delays are a factor as to no long term contracts yet from a cruise line.

Carnival loaned millions to the Port of Galveston after the Conquest came here due to Katrina. The long term plans for them is to remain in Galveston. The ships they have here are successful, sail decent routes and are priced within reason. Look at the rates for Ecstacy the week of Thanksgiving!

RCCL has no plans for a year round ship here after the Rhapsody sails away. The Voyager is here for a short time.

Princess, Celebrity and the Splendour all were short term assignments, and all did well for passenger count.

The bad news is that ports within the sailing range of Galveston are crowded. The recent bad news about Jamaica (no surprise) will not help. The Caymans and Cozumel are crowded with ships on 7 day agendas.

In my humble opinion we will have a NCL ship of decent caliber here late in 2008 or after. RCCL has been a little snotty to us, they eliminated the sales manager that called on travel agents in the Gulf Coast area. (I am not a travel agent, I just met her when we were invited aboard the Freedom of the Seas for the two-nighter).

The port at Barbours Cut (not the same as Bayport) was never a decent cruise terminal, the ships (NCL) were lousy and the cruise reports on this board prove that to be true.

Kemah is busy enough! The cruise lines will help some, but the City of Houston and the local chambers will need to unite to extend and have people travel in early for their departures. Time will tell. One note for Kemah visitors, park in the garage. The parking is free and we usually do well looking there.

For me, I hope it happens. We live close to the terminal, and the ability to travel from a Gulf Coast port has been a favorite of ours for 5 years.

For the poster from Deer Park, I have a senior at the high school this year! :)

My kids are at San Jac Elem. I sub there also.

A few more hotels would be needed too. Kemah has the Boardwalk Inn and something called Passport Inn and Laporte has a few motels. Shuttle service would be key too. Oh and next time I will try the garage! Thanks!

Wow, Texas sure is getting screwed aren't we:mad: :eek:

I didn't know Princess was gone already. And I though the Voyager was taking the Rhapsody's place but it's only limited.

No good cruises in the summer months or ever MAY expect the Conquest and Esctasy, lucky us

What's wrong with the Port of Galveston?:confused: I know ships move from port yto port but the cruiseline usually stays but now ONLY Carnival will be out of Galveston?

• 3 weeks later...

The new cruise terminal is located at the end of Port Rd. The main structure is visible from the street setting on the point of the cut leading into the container port. From the pictures / video on the Port of Houston website the ships will be docked along bay front not on the cut.

Archived