We have been put in a handicapped room . . .

thymcruisers

We were placed in one last summer on Pride of America and it was big. However, we felt uncomfortable being there when it was possible that someone NEEDED that room and didn't have it. When we saw the room, we called the front desk and let them know that we didn't need the room and if they wanted it available for someone else we were willing to move. The hotel director called us within 5 minutes and offered another room. It was one deck lower but a similar category but the only room available. We took the other room - to compensate us we were given $100 room credit and a free dinner for the 2 of us at the pay restaurant (we didn't ask for any compensation). We were later told that there was someone with CP that was placed in that room.

Please think twice about traveling in a handicapped room if you don't need it, there may be someone that needs the extra room and assistance items.

We were placed in one last summer on Pride of America and it was big. However, we felt uncomfortable being there when it was possible that someone NEEDED that room and didn't have it. When we saw the room, we called the front desk and let them know that we didn't need the room and if they wanted it available for someone else we were willing to move. The hotel director called us within 5 minutes and offered another room. It was one deck lower but a similar category but the only room available. We took the other room - to compensate us we were given $100 room credit and a free dinner for the 2 of us at the pay restaurant (we didn't ask for any compensation). We were later told that there was someone with CP that was placed in that room.

Please think twice about traveling in a handicapped room if you don't need it, there may be someone that needs the extra room and assistance items.

That is extremely thoughtful. And it speaks VERY well of Carnival that they recognized your graciousness with an unsolicited, over the top compensation. Sometimes good things happen to good people. :)

I recently read, in the CC handicapped forum, that the ship is required to provide a handicapped room to disabled folks unless all are already occupied by disabled folks. This includes moving a non-disabled person from a handicapped room in order to accommodate a handicapped pax.

Please do not accept this room. In fact I am surprised Carnival gave it to you since you are not disabled.

On Carnival the Handicapped rooms are NOT bigger than regular rooms. They just remove the extra furniture so people in wheelchairs have more room to maneuver. There is no couch and extra tables are removed so they may appear more roomy.

If you accept this room you will be taking it away from a person in a wheelchair who may need it. Please remember the doorways on these rooms are wider so a wheelchair can get thru. Wheelchairs cant get thru standard doorways, however, you can.

Also you will not be moved if someone else needs the cabin. There is no way to 'flag' your booking. Once the cabin is out of the inventory it is gone. I tried to book a handicapped cabin for Christmas, however, they were all taken and I am not able to cruise.

Please do the right thing.

That is extremely thoughtful. And it speaks VERY well of Carnival that they recognized your graciousness with an unsolicited, over the top compensation. Sometimes good things happen to good people. :)

I recently read, in the CC handicapped forum, that the ship is required to provide a handicapped room to disabled folks unless all are already occupied by disabled folks. This includes moving a non-disabled person from a handicapped room in order to accommodate a handicapped pax.

Actually it was NCL, not Carnival - however the point is well taken. It was very nice of them to offer compensation. I do believe that anytime you are put in a handicapped room and don't need it, you should let the cruiseline know that you are willing to move so that someone who needs it can get it.

Also, I am curious about your wording. On this thread you say you were "put in" a handicapped room but in an other thread you say you "booked" this room. Which is it. Did you request it or did Carnival give it to you?

Please, I am not flaming anyone or being rude. I am just trying to educate abled bodied people.

Handicapped cabins can not be flaged that pax will move if a disabled person needs this room. It would be nice if they would. Maybe in a perfect world. Once the cabin is booked it is taken out of the inventory. Period. End of story.

Please try to understand the difficulties of handicapped people. There are around 15 disabled cabins on the ship. Handicapped poeple must choose one of these, however, you have hundred of cabins to choose from.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN

However, I was warned by my TA that if a handicap person was to reserve a cabin I would be moved to a non-handicapped cabin.

I turned down the room for a cabin with a porthole windows.

But based on that, Carnival does keep track of who is in the handicapped cabins, who needs them, who wants them and who just ended up in them (as I would have). When the need arises, they will move you if there is anywhere else on the ship to put you. I would imagine it is another way to get a free upgrade.

Remember Carnival keeps track of everything about their passengers so keeping track of who is handicapped and who isn't is a no-brainer for them.

If you want the cabin, take it. However be prepared to be moved at a later date.

I'm sorry crusin susin but you are incorrect and so is your TA.

I tried asking the cruise line if any one abled bodied was traveling in handicapped cabins. They refused to say. They said it was a matter of confidentiality. Another cruise line told me, of course they were booked by handicapped cabins they wouldnt have given it to them if they werent.

Like I said maybe in a perfect world. Go to the handicapped forum and read for a while you would be surprised.

On our upcoming Imagination cruise when the price dropped and I inquired about an OBC my PVP offered a cabin upgrade and offered a handicapped on Empress Deck. He said that if Carnival needed the handicapped room we would be given an equal or better cabin.

and are wondering the advantages and/or disadvantages to this! We are on the Lido Deck of the Valor - Room 9292 - anyone out there with info on this type of room!

" We have booked the Valor for March 2007 - and booked cabin 9292 on the Lido deck. I understand that it is a handicapped room and there's a chance we may get moved if it is needed (which I totally understand). I am wondering if we will get moved to a better room - perhaps an outside room - also, have any of you been in a handicapped room on the Lido deck?? Are they bigger - than other inside rooms? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks"

Now I see where it came from

Please do not accept this room. In fact I am surprised Carnival gave it to you since you are not disabled.

On Carnival the Handicapped rooms are NOT bigger than regular rooms. They just remove the extra furniture so people in wheelchairs have more room to maneuver. There is no couch and extra tables are removed so they may appear more roomy.

If you accept this room you will be taking it away from a person in a wheelchair who may need it. Please remember the doorways on these rooms are wider so a wheelchair can get thru. Wheelchairs cant get thru standard doorways, however, you can.

Also you will not be moved if someone else needs the cabin. There is no way to 'flag' your booking. Once the cabin is out of the inventory it is gone. I tried to book a handicapped cabin for Christmas, however, they were all taken and I am not able to cruise.

Please do the right thing.

My wife had a handicapped cabin on the Legend cruise to nowhere a couple years ago. When she booked it there was no marking on the deck plans indicating it was a handicapped cabin or she wouldn't have booked it.

After they were onboard they received a call from the purser saying that there was a handicapped person in need of their cabin and would they mind moving. Of course she moved and also received some chocolate covered strawberries or something like that for moving.

We just came back from a Disney cruise and booked a guarantee. They placed us in a handicapped room. We were hoping they needed it and we would be moved but that never happened.

I can't tell if the OP also booked a guarantee since they say we were placed in a handicapped room or their TA or PVP put them there. It doesn't seem like the OP picked that room.

Bill

Where does it say when her cruise is? Is she on a roll call board somewhere?

I thought they didn't put these into the inventory until a couple months out from a cruise. :cool:

Here is OP's quote from another thread:

icon5.gifValor - Room 9292 Lido Deck - Handicapped Room??

We have booked the Valor for March 2007 - and booked cabin 9292 on the Lido deck. I understand that it is a handicapped room and there's a chance we may get moved if it is needed (which I totally understand). I am wondering if we will get moved to a better room - perhaps an outside room - also, have any of you been in a handicapped room on the Lido deck?? Are they bigger - than other inside rooms? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I think It was kind to give up a handicapped room but The cruise line should have the information of who is handicapped and in need of the rooms, if they put people who aren't in the rooms it's their fault not the PAX.

It is the pax fault if they knowingly book a HC cabin.

Guest CRUZIN' SUZIN
I'm sorry crusin susin but you are incorrect and so is your TA.

I tried asking the cruise line if any one abled bodied was traveling in handicapped cabins. They refused to say. They said it was a matter of confidentiality. Another cruise line told me, of course they were booked by handicapped cabins they wouldnt have given it to them if they werent.

Like I said maybe in a perfect world. Go to the handicapped forum and read for a while you would be surprised.

I can only go by what my TA told me. As I said, with the iffy-ness of the situation, I turned it down. However, I do know (for a fact) that these cruiselines know exactly who is in what cabin. That is how people "mysteriously" get upgraded when they go to check in. Their cabin was found to be better served by giving it to someone else. i.e., someone wants a group of 3 or 4 rooms together but one cabin is already spoken for. Everything is computerized so it is just a matter of click and drag and people are moved. Happens all the time. Have you or anyone you know ever gotten to the ship on embarkation day and been given a surprise upgrade? Ever wonder why? Your previous cabin was needed by someone else.

But it was a one time event for me so I don't know what would have happened had I taken the room and then it was requested by someone else. I was told that I could be moved. Maybe, maybe not.

It doesn't seem like the OP picked that room.

Bill

Read again Bill he says he "booked room 9292..........."

" We have booked the Valor for March 2007 - and booked cabin 9292 on the Lido deck. I understand that it is a handicapped room and there's a chance we may get moved if it is needed (which I totally understand). I am wondering if we will get moved to a better room - perhaps an outside room - also, have any of you been in a handicapped room on the Lido deck?? Are they bigger - than other inside rooms? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks"

Read again Bill he says he "booked room 9292..........."

OP also says they realize they could be moved should the cabin be needed and they were totally ok with that. I see no problem here. They may have booked it without realizing it was HC or they may have done it on purpose realizing if they get moved they are hoping for an upgrade but are totally willing to move if the need arises.

I don't think you really want 9292. I was placed in a similar cabin of the Lido deck of the Triumph (inside guarantee in my case). Although the bathroom is big, the cabin is remarkably smaller than usual. There is less than half the closet space of a regular cabin, there is no chair , no table. and very little floor space. If you took this cabin hoping for extra room, you have made a mistake. Although SOME handicapped cabins are larger, some are not, and the larger bathroom makes for a smaller cabin. Also, the wider desk means less space for closets. It's a reasonable trade-off of space for accessibility is you really need to be able to roll into the bathroom and roll into the shower. If you don't need to do this, then leave the cabin available for someone who needs it and buy yourself a cabin that will truly be more comfortable for your needs. A regular interior cabin is going to give you more closets, more furniture, and just a generally more comfortable cruise. Call your PVP or TA and get a new cabin. Then, when you board, try to walk by 9292 while the stewards are finishing their work and you will pat yourself on the back for getting yourself out of that tiny cabin.

Archived