Internet and computer support staff onboard...

Privat

Hi all,

I am an experienced computer consultant/Internet support guy considering an application to work on The World.

Can anyone give me an idea of what the computer systems and network is like onboard now 2006/2007, the number of IT support staff there are for the internal systems, support of residents/guests, etc.

(I see references to The World having the largest single-site public wireless network at the time it first sailed, then based on Red-M's Genos server with 250 Red-M access points mainly Bluetooth-based.)

What are the changes since then? If you have worked on the ship I'd really like to know your opinion, and your experiences positive or negative of the ship's systems. If you have been a passenger needing to use the 'net and email onboard in the rooms and the Internet Cafe, did you get the support you needed?

Finally, is Maria Lewing still head of IT, and is someone else in charge day to day onboard?

Any pointers/comments, observations welcomed.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

There are two Systems Managers onboard the world. THey are both from India (last time I checked) and rotate in a 10 week on 10 week off rotation (fully paid). They have been there for quite some time. The Internet Cafe is manned by somebody on a part time basis who is also a musician.

My sister used to work there and I also work as a Systems Manager with another cruiseline and have applied to them amny ties in the past but they have two long term guys who aparantly have no intention of giving up such a great position.

Archived