Packing smart for back to back cruises: Need Suggestions

Sailfish

I am doing a back to back cruises on two separate ships; when I get off one, I will be rolling my bags over to another terminal to embark on an other. My husband and I are not known for packing light - we usually take more clothes than we use - two suitcases each usually. This time, I am thinking of rolling my bags off the first ship, to insure they don't get lost. We will also be traveling with scuba gear - that's a smallish duffle each but do-able if we keep to one suitcase.

To make a long story short, I need help! I will be sorting my clothes into three piles - formal wear, day clothes and evening clothes. As we will be scuba diving, the day pile will consist mostly of shorts and tee shirts. The formal pile is also easy. But it's that "evening wear" pile I am having issues with - shoes, separates, etc. that one wears to dinner and to shows most evening takes up a lot of space! I plan to do laundry before disembarking the first ship, so I will essentially pack for one cruise - unfortunately, I think I still have more stuff than I can easily fit into one suitcase (which is my goal).

Any packing suggestions would very much be appreciated!!

Suzi

I can only suggest that you mix and match, wearing some things more than once. Especially since you are going to do laundry on the ship.

I believe I read on the Rick Steves website that if he wasn't going to wear something 3 times on his trip that he wouldn't take it. I'm not sure I have ever done that, but have worn things twice. :cool:

After cruising 12 times I have finally got my packing streamlined. For evening wear I pack one "travel knit" black skirt and one pair dressy black capri pants that I wear twice each. I pack "travel knit" tops to coordinate with the skirt and capris. The "travel knit" fabrics do not wrinkle and don't take up much room in the suitcase. By keeping both bottoms black, I pack one pair of black sandals to wear with all the mix & match outfits.

For formal wear, I usually take two gowns/cocktail dresses that I can wear the same fancy sandals with and carry the same evening bag with.

I also bring silky nightgowns because they are lightweight and take minimal room in the suitcase. Since it is so hot in the Caribbean, I also only take tank tops to wear with shorts.

Hope these tips help in you to pack lighter.

Thanks for your great suggestions. One big issue I have is with shoes - I have never been able to get away with just one pair - I have a pair for my dressy outfits, one for my casual clothing, a pair of sneakers I wear on the plane and for when I work out in the gym, a pair of teevas for wearing on shore/dive boats and a pair of flip fops for around the pool. These take up a lot of room to say the least, and wish I could cut back.

Your clothing suggestions are very good - I don't think I have any "travel" knits" - but I am guessing you mean the kind of clothes that do not wrinkle. I'll have to pay more attention when I am shopping - are these items from regular stores or from travel catalogues?

I have some jersey dresses - probably would qualify as travel friendly. This biggest issue I think will be the urge to pack more things. Like I said, we always seem to take things that we never wear - not sure why! At the time, I feel I couldn't live without them yet I don't end up wearing them.

Oh well, I have 10 weeks to really plan things out - I think I'll lay everything out in my spare bedroom and pare down!

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Suzi

When packing for evenings onboard ship, I manage quite well w/ 2 pr. of pants for a whole week. I LOVE that poly-microfiber that looks like sandwashed silk (like Susan Graver stuff on QVC or Maggie Sweet on HSN). It's lightweight, no wrinkles & takes up no space. I usually carry a pair in black & one in white; & wear them each 3 times (even on formal nights w/ beaded tops).

Keep in mind that what you wear in the evening for dinner you likely put on right after showering, and wear in airconditioning, without much physical exertion, for just a few hours. So these kinds of clothes are good for wearing more than once--I even keep a separate place in the closet or bureau for "slightly worn" stuff. If you don't want to appear at dinner wearing the same thing you wore the night before, save it for later in the week. Or, a casual top worn with a skirt or capris to dinner might be worn again for a sightseeing shore excursion the next day. Keep as many items color coordinated with each other as possible, for the most flexibility. And a pair of neutral shoes (skin-toned, maybe?) that go with all your evening clothes will save packing space and weight.

Have a great time; sounds like a lot of fun.

C.

One big issue I have is with shoes - I have never been able to get away with just one pair - I have a pair for my dressy outfits, one for my casual clothing, a pair of sneakers I wear on the plane and for when I work out in the gym, a pair of teevas for wearing on shore/dive boats and a pair of flip fops for around the pool. These take up a lot of room to say the least, and wish I could cut back.

Your clothing suggestions are very good - I don't think I have any "travel" knits" - but I am guessing you mean the kind of clothes that do not wrinkle. I'll have to pay more attention when I am shopping - are these items from regular stores or from travel catalogues?

Hi Suzi -

DH and I did a B2B in August. I have the same 'urge' to pack my whole closet which gets nixed b/c if I can't carry it, I can't bring it. A great place to find 'travel knits' is Chico's. Not usually my style of clothes but their jersey stuff is great! You can roll it up in a ball and it will still look great within an hour of pulling it from your bag. Sounds like you travel pretty light as far as shoes - can't help you there!:p Hope this helps!

Thanks for your great suggestions. One big issue I have is with shoes - I have never been able to get away with just one pair - I have a pair for my dressy outfits, one for my casual clothing, a pair of sneakers I wear on the plane and for when I work out in the gym, a pair of teevas for wearing on shore/dive boats and a pair of flip fops for around the pool. These take up a lot of room to say the least, and wish I could cut back.

Suzi

everything I have goes well with black, so I bring one pair of black sandals - dressy, but not over the top dressy, that I wear to dinner every night. I wear my sneakers on the plane and on all non-water excursions and usually wear my flip flops for around the pool and water excursions. You could eliminate the flip flops and just use the teevas, but flip flops don't really take up much room and teevas give you a lot more protection.

I've cut way down on my day time outfits since I realized that the only time anyone sees them is at breakfast. I'm almost always in my bathing suit, shorts and cover-up during the day and my "water day" shorts are very light and quick drying, easy to wash and dry daily.

everything I have goes well with black, so I bring one pair of black sandals - dressy, but not over the top dressy, that I wear to dinner every night. I wear my sneakers on the plane and on all non-water excursions and usually wear my flip flops for around the pool and water excursions. You could eliminate the flip flops and just use the teevas, but flip flops don't really take up much room and teevas give you a lot more protection.

I've cut way down on my day time outfits since I realized that the only time anyone sees them is at breakfast. I'm almost always in my bathing suit, shorts and cover-up during the day and my "water day" shorts are very light and quick drying, easy to wash and dry daily.

I have to take my teevas, as I will be scuba diving in each port of call, and need the traction and support they provide on the dive boat. And I run around in flip flops on the ship (which you are right don't take up all that much space). But I like your idea about the sandals - I have a lot of things that go with black too, so a nice pair I can wear with both formal outfits and in the evenings would be perfect. I have been looking for such a pair, but thus far have had no luck in finding one. We still have 8 weeks left before we go, so I have a feeling I'll find what I am looking for. Finding both comfort and style are going to be key, and so far, if I find "comfort", they aren't nice enough to wear on Formal Night - and visa versa.

Archived