Chankanaab update

tvleaker

I was just wondering about Paradise Island Beach, if we went there on our own without booking with the cruise line, is there a specific spot we have to go to and is there a fee to get in to get a beach chair and such?

You literally pass Chank Park on the way to Paradise Beach. In fact they have a new road that runs along the water between the two. I would guess (and this is only a guess) that a taxi would run $5 for 4 people to get from Chank P to Paradise Beach.

Paradise Beach does not charge any entrance fee. Their lounge chairs, tables, shade and beach are free. However, they do expect you to drink and/or eat something (all of which is very good) while you are there.

You can purchase an optional $9 wristband to enjoy there nonmotorized toys. (kayak, iceberg, water trampoline, floats, snorkel equipment)

Paradise Beach has clean restrooms and showers.

There are jet skis, parasailing and banana boats near by to rent.

So perhaps a mixture of CP and PB is just what the doctor ordered!! :)

I visited Chakaanab in 2004 and loved it. We were so sorry to hear about the destruction from the hurricane. We are planning on going back to visit in 2 weeks but wondered if they still have the small childrens area where the water was not very deep. It was right on the other side of the Dolphins and pier. Can anyone that has been here recently tell me if they saw this area?

Lallybrock

I docked in Cozumel 11/8/06. My friends really wanted to snorkel at Chankanaab (sp?) despite my report that I had read about major hurricane damage. It was overpriced at $16 per person. An additional $10 each to rent snorkel gear. The carved stone steps to get in the water were so slippery it made it very difficult to get in & out. Snorkeling was less than average. I'm sure there are better places to spend your day in Cozumel. I had fun just being with my friends, but I would not go back to that beach any time soon.

I have already booked the dolphin swim for March. After reading these posts, I am hoping alot more progress is made by then. Now I am wondering if I should just do it in Ocho Rios.

If anyone is planning on doing the dolphin discovery at Chankanaab in the next few months, please leave a review. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy to see these beautiful pics and stories of good times. I was there right before the storm, and watched these boards closely during and after. I cried when the manager, (proably not owner of national park, Sorry, my memory is limited,) posted..."It gone..It's all gone." Congrats, Chankanaab!

i will be in coz 12-9-06. if anyone has been there in the last couple of weeks please let me know how it is. i have seen the pics from june on her but would love to know the current condition. me and my wife love this place because it is so quiet and pretty.

island jim or paradise tom if either of you get by there please let me know.

we would love to go back there and contribute to the rebuilding of the park. but if the construction noise is too much we may wait till next year. bringing in-laws and i think they would love it to.

thanks

for the help

don

• 1 month later...

Hi, all!

We leave in two weeks for a wonderful Western Caribbean cruise! In researching the ports, we decided that Chankanaab is in our Cozumel future, but thought that the shore excursion through Princess seemed unreasonable (basically $59 for a 3-hour scavenger hunt). So I did a little research, and found a COUPON for the park at:

http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp (this is actually the park's website, so lots of good information here, too)

Click on "Descuento en entradas al parque" (Discount on entry to the park) and get $2 off per person. By the way, once you click on the Spanish link, the coupon request is in English. Based on my research this would put the price at:

$5-$10 for the cab (would welcome what others have paid to get to the park from the pier)

$14/pp for the entrance fee

Since it will just be my husband I, it looks like it will run us about $48 max for the RT transportation and the entrance fee, and we can stay all day. Obviously souvenirs, drinks, food, locker rental, chair rental etc. will add to the total, but we're still not even up to the shore excursion cost for one person. The entry fee includes admittance, beach all day (not chair, but you can lay on your towel if you totally want to cheap-out), botanic gardens, Mayan village, lots of iguanas, lifeguard service :-), security, dolphin viewing area, hammocks, snorkeling (with your own gear), and browsing the shops. Various and sundry other expenses that I've found:

$10/pp for the sea lion show (if you're interested)

Big bucks (+/- $125/pp for the dolphin encounter)

Snorkel rental: $10 USD (MASK, SNORKEL & FINS)

Life Jacket Rental: $5 USD

DISCOVER SCUBA class $65 USD

CERTIFIED SCUBA $40 USD

SCUBA TANK RENTAL $11 USD.

One important note: BRING CASH! The park doesn't accept credit cards and there is no ATM (although some of the independent vendors within the park do accept cards). You can always rent a locker to hold your cash while you're frolicking.

Finally, there is a taxi stand at the park, so getting transportation back to the ship should be NO PROBLEM! We'll be there on February 1st, and I'll give you more details based on experience instead of research when we get back.

¡Saludos!

Kristin

Grand Princess, January 27th, 2007

Hi, all!

We leave in two weeks for a wonderful Western Caribbean cruise! In researching the ports, we decided that Chankanaab is in our Cozumel future, but thought that the shore excursion through Princess seemed unreasonable (basically $59 for a 3-hour scavenger hunt). So I did a little research, and found a COUPON for the park at:

http://www.cozumelparks.org.mx/eng/parks-chankanaab.asp (this is actually the park's website, so lots of good information here, too)

Click on "Descuento en entradas al parque" (Discount on entry to the park) and get $2 off per person. By the way, once you click on the Spanish link, the coupon request is in English. Based on my research this would put the price at:

$5-$10 for the cab (would welcome what others have paid to get to the park from the pier)

$14/pp for the entrance fee

Since it will just be my husband I, it looks like it will run us about $48 max for the RT transportation and the entrance fee, and we can stay all day. Obviously souvenirs, drinks, food, locker rental, chair rental etc. will add to the total, but we're still not even up to the shore excursion cost for one person. The entry fee includes admittance, beach all day (not chair, but you can lay on your towel if you totally want to cheap-out), botanic gardens, Mayan village, lots of iguanas, lifeguard service :-), security, dolphin viewing area, hammocks, snorkeling (with your own gear), and browsing the shops. Various and sundry other expenses that I've found:

$10/pp for the sea lion show (if you're interested)

Big bucks (+/- $125/pp for the dolphin encounter)

Snorkel rental: $10 USD (MASK, SNORKEL & FINS)

Life Jacket Rental: $5 USD

DISCOVER SCUBA class $65 USD

CERTIFIED SCUBA $40 USD

SCUBA TANK RENTAL $11 USD.

One important note: BRING CASH! The park doesn't accept credit cards and there is no ATM (although some of the independent vendors within the park do accept cards). You can always rent a locker to hold your cash while you're frolicking.

Finally, there is a taxi stand at the park, so getting transportation back to the ship should be NO PROBLEM! We'll be there on February 1st, and I'll give you more details based on experience instead of research when we get back.

¡Saludos!

Kristin

Grand Princess, January 27th, 2007

It looks like the park accepts US dollars, but would it be better to have pesos for better exchange?

Hi, Amy!

You know, I don't think that the rate of exchange would matter in this instance. Chankanaab is Mexican national park (like Yellowstone, or Everglades to us), so I'd bet that the prices are regulated and currency fluctuations taken into account (for the most part). The Mexican government WANTS people to visit Chankanaab, so I imagine that they would take steps to make sure that visitors from other countries don't feel like they're' getting ripped off.

I could be wrong, though, as I haven't visited yet. But my experience in other countries that accept dollars in addition to local currencies tends to support the theory that governments don't want to get a bad reputation for ripping off tourists (lead that to some of the tour companies!) as enough horror stories can really damage the tourism economy.

I suppose that if you're going to change a whole mess of dollars to pesos for use in Mexico then it would be worth it to pay in peso, but don't forget that there is an often hefty fee to to exchange currency, and that could offset any currency price variations at the gate.

¡Vaya bien!

Kristin

Javadelcamp - thank you so much for the coupon link - and the information! We go in March - so we're looking forward to your review of the park after your February visit!

Have a wonderful vacation and thanks again for the info!

Janet

I believe we pain in US dollars, and there was no problems. Definately rent the chair, the beach inparts can be a little rocky.

We, as I said previously bought our Dolphin Encounter at the park, but with the ships getting bigger that may not be possible. The park is beautiful, the personnel friendly and the water beautiful.

Hi, Amy!

You know, I don't think that the rate of exchange would matter in this instance. Chankanaab is Mexican national park (like Yellowstone, or Everglades to us), so I'd bet that the prices are regulated and currency fluctuations taken into account (for the most part). The Mexican government WANTS people to visit Chankanaab, so I imagine that they would take steps to make sure that visitors from other countries don't feel like they're' getting ripped off.

I could be wrong, though, as I haven't visited yet. But my experience in other countries that accept dollars in addition to local currencies tends to support the theory that governments don't want to get a bad reputation for ripping off tourists (lead that to some of the tour companies!) as enough horror stories can really damage the tourism economy.

I suppose that if you're going to change a whole mess of dollars to pesos for use in Mexico then it would be worth it to pay in peso, but don't forget that there is an often hefty fee to to exchange currency, and that could offset any currency price variations at the gate.

¡Vaya bien!

Kristin

Thank you! That helps and is probably just a lot easier to pay in US dollars rather than start exchanging money for pesos.

We just got back from our trip 1/06/07 and had a great time at this park. A long story short we had two excursions cancled on us and were left to make our own up. We headed out of the port and found taxies that were straight forward about the cost to get hear or there. We went to the park for $10. Park fees were listed when you got there it was $16 for just going in, we had our own snorkel stuff so we choose this. Our two friends choose option 2 which included admission, a drink, and snorkel stuff for 3hrs. There were several other things including dolphins and scuba that you could do too.

For the experienced snorkeler this won't do much for you but was a great start especially for two who'd never snorkeled at all. Entrance to the water was a bit tricky and getting out kinda hard. There we're rails though to haul yourself up and over the rock. Just to the right of a swimming platform was the largest coral structure they had but had tons of fish and we even found a sting ray! All over the area there was stuff to look at and thousands of fish. Kids would love this!

While we were lounging around someone came by with a menu and showed us what they had for lunch at one of the bars there, we said some about way over there and he eagerly said he'd bring it to us. Prices were appox what you'd pay at most US Mexican resturants. I have to tell you I'm not sure what all came on my sampler plate but it was GOOD! Better than any place at home.

Over all the park was a great place to go especially if you've lost your trip. There are tons of iguanas running all over in the areas near trees, they were fun to take pictures of and really big. Not to worry while not afraid of people they didn't want to you close to them either.

I hope I have good news for you. When we were there, there were many chairs available first come first served for free. The ones near the kiddy cove filled up fast, but those looking out to the floating dock were pretty open all day.

Thanks for the link to the coupon. I've been to the park twice and since it can get pretty expensive when paying for the entrance, the dolphins, pictures/DVD from the dolphins, lunch and souveners (sp?) any amount of savings will help.

Thanks again....

The cab ride is pretty cheap. Like $5.00 per person each way. I have also rented a car appx $60.00 all day. THe roads are decent and you can see the whole island. Gas is very expensive. Don't book an excurison to the park. Do it on your own. Much cheaper.

Archived