Top Chef

Curt Jerome Wild

Okay, since they talk about Project Runway on the Fashion Board, I'm thinking this is the appropriate place to talk about Bravo's Top Chef!

Anyone watch the last season?

Anyone going to watch the Season 2 starting this Wednesday October 18th at 11 PM (10 PM central time)?

Here's a link:

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef_2/about/index.shtml

Chime in please!

CJW

I ended up catching onto it about 1/2 way through the season thanks to a co-worker clueing me in. I have now seen the whole season because Bravo has been running them on the weekends and can't wait for the new season to start. Of course I will miss an episode as I doubt they'll have it on the Crown Princess in two weeks but for a cruise I think I can make the sacrifice! And I'm sure I can catch whatever episode I miss during some sort of re-run marathon.

I thought the 1st show was pretty good. Looks like Marcel will be the Stephen of this season. I think the right chef got voted off too. I couldn't believe when she told Tom that it was the worst thing she ever cooked. What was she thinking?! He even said at the beginning of the show that he wasn't coming over to them as a friend or mentor, but as a judge and would be reporting everything back to the other judges. I guess she has poor self-monitoring skills! :eek:

I LOVE this show. Food and drama -- what could be better?

Watched all of last season. I so wanted Lee Anne Wong to win. But wasn't that surprised at the outcome.

The cousin of one of my closest friends is a contestant this time -- Frank (Frankie the Bull). That makes this season very special.

We also watched Hell's Kitchen faithfully. It was fun to watch, but most of those poor slobs had no business in teh competition in the first place. The only semi-qualified person to run a restuarant was Heather, who had been a sous chef.

Top Chef has people who have all achieved a level of proficiency. If you've checked out their bios, they'e pretty impressive.

That first elimination challenge -- what a great way to start off. A group of odd ingredients that everyone had to work with.

But the results. Did you notice how Mia's face fell when she didn't win?

yet but most of them are starting to rub me the wrong way. Did anyone else think that Otto looked like the guy who was on Star Trek the next generation.

Here is a picture I found.

120x90.jpg

Just put him in spikey grey hair and that is him.

I was impressed that he did the adult thing and stepped down. I did not think he was a frontrunner but he earned my respect. The only problem with this show is I want to taste the food!!! It makes me hungry just watching it.

I really do not like the guy with the goofy hair (Marcel? I can't keep them straight yet).

ATPIT, Josie has made a good impression. I'm rooting for Frank as I have a once-removed connection there (how could he cook bad rice!!!). The two ladies on the Korean team that spent a lot of time together seem kinda weak.

I love Ming Tsai! I went to a cooking class he conducted (huge auditorium) and he was an absolute doll. Flirted with everyone while signing his cookbooks.

This show makes me hungry, too. And, it makes me get more adventurous in the kitchen. DH likes that:p

Marcel is a little obnoxious and what's with the wolverine hairdo! I'd really like to see Marisa go home next though. She talks as if she is so talented, but her last couple of desserts have been big losers and she's a pastry chef! Plus I just don't like her attitude. Michael seems like a real fish out of water too. I think he would be better suited for Hell's Kitchen then Top Chef. So far, I like Cliff, Sam, and Betty. We'll see how they do as the challenges get harder.

Marcel is a little obnoxious and what's with the wolverine hairdo! I'd really like to see Marisa go home next though. She talks as if she is so talented, but her last couple of desserts have been big losers and she's a pastry chef! Plus I just don't like her attitude. Michael seems like a real fish out of water too. I think he would be better suited for Hell's Kitchen then Top Chef. So far, I like Cliff, Sam, and Betty. We'll see how they do as the challenges get harder.

"Marcel is a little obnoxious..." OMG, that's like saying someone is little pregnant as they're being wheeled into the Labor and Delivery Room while getting ready to deliver triplets,:D

Everytime this guy, Marcel, gets on camera my whole body reacts like someone is scratching their fingernails on a blackboard. And that hair, I can just see one of those nasty hair gelled ,permed, or hairsprayed wonders floating in a bowl of uneatable soup that this loser would plop down in front of some poor soul. I want Marcel gone and pronto.

Can't really remember who Cliff is, but Betty and Sam are coming across as talented and nice. If I had my druthers, think my vote would be for Betty to take the title of Top Chef home. I just hope that she keeps up her fiesty but nice attitude throughout the series.

I can't even remember the woman's name, but I am sooo glad she went home this week. Her attitude with the ice cream challenge about the kids really irritated me. And then all that talk about her fine dining expertise,and she can't even salt food correctly! Plus, I'm no chef but even I know skirt steak has to be cooked long and slow or marinated, or both, to be good. Geez.

Cliff and Betty really seem to have the upper hand so far. But there are some other really intersting dishes going by and players that haven't been shown much on camera.

With these shows, you have to watch the editing. Even though Frank's dish was major weird, you could tell he wasn't going home because he had so little camera time. That woman and Mike both had a lot of time, so much so that I wondered if they were going to get rid of two of them.

I want that fruit dish and that corn dish recipe!

Sea Bunny-

All the recipes are posted on the Bravo/Top Chef website after each show airs. Here's the link: http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef_2/recipes/index.shtml

The winning recipe is also done as a video demonstration by Lee Ann Wong from last season's show.

Thanks! I knew about Lee Ann, but didn't know the others were posted, too.

Sea Bunny-

All the recipes are posted on the Bravo/Top Chef website after each show airs. Here's the link: http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef_2/recipes/index.shtml

The winning recipe is also done as a video demonstration by Lee Ann Wong from last season's show.

Thanks for posting the link. I didn't know about it.

Looking forward to tonite's show. Doesn't something about cheating come up?:confused:

Last night's show was interesting. I don't think Betty meant to cheat, but technically she did. I think they made the right decision in not sending anyone home, especially if others were using other ingredients a little too liberally. I'm liking Frank more & more, but Mike has to go!!!

Last night's show was interesting. I don't think Betty meant to cheat, but technically she did. I think they made the right decision in not sending anyone home, especially if others were using other ingredients a little too liberally. I'm liking Frank more & more, but Mike has to go!!!

Every time I look at Mike and see the sloppy messes he produces I cringe. What were the producers thinking of when they added him to the cast. The only reason would be to increase friction and conflict between the contestants.

I look at Mike and immediately flash back to some greasy spoon diner with Mike presiding over the counter with a dirty apron on and a finger or thumb in my bowl of indigestable chili that he's just plopped down before me

• 3 weeks later...
Sea Bunny-

I can't get into last season's recipes. I'm trying to find the Peking Beef recipe that Lee Ann did. Did anyone happen to save it?:confused:

Hi everyone. This is my first post in this section of the boards but when I saw a topic about Top Chef I had to jump in :)

I didn't see the first season at all and didn't even know it existed until 3 shows into the new season. I caught the first episode being replayed and then realized it was a "marathon" to catch everyone up before the new one. So I watched all 3 and have been watching every week since. I am way addicted now.

I adore Sam so much and I think Betty is a doll, but it seems like she's been a little off her game since the whole "cheating" fiasco. I LOVE Ilan and like Cliff pretty well. Right now my pick to win it all would be Sam or Ilan.

Yes, Marcel is annoying but I think he's funny and keeps it interesting. I like the drama he creates. What about Sam and his instigating with the whole "toothbrush on the floor" thing. Too funny.

Can anyone tell me why a new episode wasn't played last night? I was all ready for it and nothing. Did I somehow just miss it?

I have to agree with you about Sam. I think he's the winner, with Cliff close behind him.

I, too, love Betty. What sparkle! But she has rather off lately. I had to giggle when she was trying to get to the canned goods with everyone blocking her. She's so tiny.

Maye she'll come around.

Tonight's the night!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a "heads up" here...

Top Chef will be a marathon from the beginning of this season starting about 2 PM on Wednesday for those of you who want to catch up from the beginning - or just missed various episodes...

Then it is actually one hour and fifteen minutes for the new episode, just in case anyone is taping or Tivo-ing...

CJW

:D

Just a "heads up" here...

Top Chef will be a marathon from the beginning of this season starting about 2 PM on Wednesday for those of you who want to catch up from the beginning - or just missed various episodes...

Then it is actually one hour and fifteen minutes for the new episode, just in case anyone is taping or Tivo-ing...

CJW

:D

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know it was going to be 15 min longer. I've missed having a new episode to watch so really glad it's on tonite.

Archived