Top Chef

Curt Jerome Wild

So Jeff left us because of his ADHD cooking style.

I never would have seen those three in the elimination round! But they won't get rid of Stefan or Fabio yet. I could see them breaking up the lovebirds though. I think Leah isn't long for the show!!!

Bravo announced a Top Chef cruise in May 2008. I haven't been able to find any updates since then. Has anyone else had any luck?

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/113573-Bravo_Goes_Multimedia.php

"The deals, which include a Top Chef cruise, calendar and cooking class, and an exercise DVD linked to the show Workout, come nearly a year after Bravo changed its name to include "Media," saying it was responding to its fan base's desire for more touch points with the brand. The deals are aimed at both creating new revenue streams and driving brand loyalty.

"Our goal with this is to really go beyond the network with our show brands and affinity groups," says Frances Berwick, executive VP and general manager of Bravo Media. "Viewers are often fanatical about our shows, and many of these things are tactile versions of who the viewers are and ways to extend their experience. We're all about being more Bravo in more places more often, and this all speaks to that."

For Chef, the network will launch a 20-city mobile tour with an 18-wheel semi-truck branded with show graphics and staffed with former contestants. The truck makes its first appearance at the upcoming NCTA cable show in New Orleans. Separately, Bravo has paired with Jazz Cruises for a Top Chef cruise in May 2009. The boat will hit Mediterranean cities, with former contestants presenting how food is made in each one. "

Episode Five

Quickfire Challenge...

They have to do basically a "Name That Tune" game based on "Name That Ingredient".

It's all kind of stupid to me really, so not worth going through the entire process.

It's a much better challenge if they have to taste ingredients separately (blindfolded) - or if they each had to write down as many ingredients as they could identify separately or something.

Long story short, Hosea, Stefan, and Carla are the final three.

(so see, Carla has some merit at certain points)

Hosea does end up beating Carla, and then Stefan - and there is no judging, it's just a kind of a skill, so he gets immunity.

Elimination Challenge

They all have to draw knives.

There are Old, New, Borrowed, Blue.

Guess what? It's some kind of wedding challenge! (duh)

They have to cook for Judge Gail's wedding shower, so you immediately know it's going to be some of the pickiest judging ever.

(remember that Gail works at Food & Wine Magazine, so you already know it's going to be a bunch of her foodie/possibly snotty co-workers). Oi!

The Something Old Team is Stephan, Jeff, and Hosea.

So a strong team already. They decide to use heirloom tomatoes as the basis for their theme, which I think is a good idea.

It's old world, and fits the theme. It's also easy to adapt in different ways.

Stefan makes a Tomato Terrine Wrapped in Eggplant

Jeff makes Carpaccio with Tomato Sorbet

Hosea makes Tomato Gazpacho

It all sounds and look good to me!

The Something New Team is Eugene, Carla, and Danny.

They are generally a mess with the ideas, and start out thinking about pickled something. Carla correctly questions - "How is that Something New"?

So, they ixnay that idea, and for some reason go with Eugene's idea of Surf and Turf Sushi.

What you say? Me too.

They are such a mess, that I can't tell who is really making what.

Eugene is mostly in charge. Carla makes something like a frisee salad in a won ton bowl, and Danny makes peach/miso BBQ sauce or something?

Really?

The Something Borrowed Team is Ariane, Radhika, and Jamie.

I think that in a certain way, they have a really easy theme.

But, I also think that they run with it, and decide that they are going to "borrow" ideas, heritage, and recipes from Radhika's grandmother/heritage.

Radhika isn't thrilled about it, because she wants to show that she can do more than Indian food, but it really is the best way they come up with to incorporate good food in a "borrowed" theme.

They decide upon a menu of Eastern Spiced Lamb, vadouvan carrot puree, wilted kale, and cucumber raita.

Ariane is basically cooking the lamb, as she is beginning to learn that she is just best at cooking solid yet simple meat dishes.

Radhika is overall in charge, as this is second nature to her.

The Something Blue Team is Fabio, Leah, and Melissa.

I personally think that this could be a difficult theme, but at the same time, I think that they were kind of lame and stretching it to come up with what they did.

They decide that blue means the sea, so they go with seafood.

So Fabio makes Chilean Sea Bass, Leah makes Roasted Corn Puree, and Melissa make Swiss Chard.

Is any of that smart, inventive, or creative in a "blue theme"?

So it's the next day and they have to serve it.

The Guest Judge is the Editor-In-Chief of Food & Wine Magazine, Dana Cowin.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I already don't like her, or her attitude coming off my TV screen.

I would definitely not like her as my boss, let alone work with her, or want her to be a judge.

Just sayin'

Team Something Old goes first, and personally I think it's the best.

79936be2a66ab326c00f836049e5d5dc.jpg

I don't know, it just seemed like the best one, the best theme, and something I would actually want to eat...

Team Something New goes next.

I'm thinking because, their idea is basically lame, and they are grasping at straws, the next morning before presentation - Eugene comes up with the idea that they will put the sushi together themselves (meaning the wedding shower guests) and that will be "new" as in a whole new way to eat sushi!

First of all, that's a stupid idea, on top of a stupid idea on the theme itself, and then stupid on top of that, because what ladies are going to want to get their hands dirty putting sushi together themselves at a wedding shower?

Dur!

And then! The best part, is between the three of them at the presentation - they completely forget to explain that idea, that the ladies have to put the sushi roll together themselves!

Double Dur!

d7b2e74b2382224b6aada24c2d7db1b5.jpg

Yeah. Ladies at a Bridal Shower know what to do with that plate there...

Team Something Borrowed in next.

They explain the entire concept of their "borrowed" theme well, and apparently the food is also good, so there you go.

8487ae7ad095ca25e6b9ad06f236316b.jpg

Team Something Blue is last. It's boring, but since it's a party full of ladies, they decide to have Fabio sell it in his Italian accent.

04d8a9e8ecef52667b2145e9e09b014c.jpg

Because, seriously, what is something blue?

But apparently, the ladies lurv them some Fabio, and I don't think that they are paying attention to the actual food, concept or anything else.

Just Fabio.

So Something Old and Something Borrowed are the top two teams.

They judges point out Jeff's Tomato Sorbet as a favorite, and immediately Stefan is hating on him.

Then they decide the the winner is the person who made the most flavorful component of all the dishes - and it's Ariane!

WTH?!?!

Radihka is team leader. They have used all of her family recipes. They "borrowed" the secret ingredient that she brought.

She made the sauce that flavored the lamb that Ariane baked.

(See I told you there was something up with the judges keeping Ariane in there, when she should have been technically kicked off for several weeks before - something fishier than the scallops that Jamie uses for everything!)

So, Ariane wins the entire challenge (again!)

Something New and Something Blue are the bottom two teams.

The judges say that Something New made no sense (which it didn't).

The Something Blue Team, is boring and safe, but apparently the flavors were okay.

Then they further question Team Something New, and while Eugene and Carla step up and admit to certain things that weren't great, and specifically point out things they are aware they could have done better...

Danny claims it was all fantastic. He only did the sauce, and then also did some bad mushrooms that he threw into the bottom of Carla's salad at the last minute.:eek:

And then apparently according to the judges, through this entire mess, Carla's portions were really the best parts of their entire mess.

So she is safe.

Eugene is at least acknowledging what should have been improved or done better, but Danny is just standing by the fact that his apparently really bad mushrooms and sauce were fantastic.

So, he is the one chose to pack his knives and go.

In this case, I think that is correct, as they were giving him so many hints - and Eugene and Carla got the hint.

So Danny is out, for either being completely oblivious to the judges hints - or being so conceited that he can't evfen admit that he made really bad mushrooms.

Wow! More drama than I realized on that episode.

Quick comment on the "Something Blue" Maybe there isn't a truly "blue" food but what about blueberries? What about blue corn? Blue crab? Maybe they aren't truly blue but at least they have blue in the name. I thought the sea bass was a cop out.

Quick comment on the "Something Blue" Maybe there isn't a truly "blue" food but what about blueberries? What about blue corn? Blue crab? Maybe they aren't truly blue but at least they have blue in the name. I thought the sea bass was a cop out.

I know!

Blue Cheese (which as far as I'm concerned is really blue looking if you get it really nice and fresh)...

Some twist on an old school "Blue Plate Special"?

Blue Fin Tuna at the very least!?!?!

It was a complete cop out all around, but Fabio's Italian schmooze completely saved them!

Episode Six

Quickfire Challenge

Create a One Pot Dish for the Holidays

and the guest judge is Martha Stewart.

They take two tactics with this (in the rules)...

Cook all in one pot, or cook in it, dump out, cook more, add back in, etc.

Eugene makes Spicy Korean Stew, which in the time frame he has to thicken with cornstarch - so that's immediate bad from Martha.

Jeff makes Potato Risotto, which she doesn't like either.

Fabio makes one of his grandmother's recipes, Duck Breast in Polenta, and it looks kind of gray, so Martha hates it on that fact alone.

Those are the bottom three.

Top three are

Hosea makes Polenta with Sausage and Seafood.

Jamie makes Sea Scallop with Kale.

Ariane makes Filet Mignon with Pureed Cauliflower.

Martha tried to hate on it, because there was too much butter in the cauliflower. But Arianne only used cream, no butter!

So Martha gives her the win, seemingly just for fooling her taste buds.

(I guess that Martha would not have done well on last episode's Quickfire Blind Tastebud Challenge - so that tells you how vital of a skill that is for successful chefs)...

Elimination Challenge

They are to cater a fundraising event for AMFAR and they have to cook enough to serve (themselves) to 250 guests (which is a lot, and requires a whole nother issue to factor in to their planning).

They draw knives, and each has a theme from the Twelve Days of Christmas!

I'm going to say right now, that by luck of the draw some of them have really easy themes - and others are really difficult.

After shopping, they have three hours to prep and pre-cook anything the night before.

The next morning they show up with one hour to prep, and realize that one of the refrigerator doors has been left open all night.

Rhadika's duck, and Hosea's pork are both in there - so neither can use or serve that now!

Melissa also had her cheese in there, so she can't use the cheese she wanted.

One of the best things that I've seen and like about this season, is that the chefs are quick to help each other.

Rhadika has some duck legs left over, so they all run to help her clean them, and get whatever meat they can off and prepared for her.

They get to the event. Start working like mad to create 300 plates each!

Natasha Richardson is the host, and Michelle Bernstein will be the guest judge.

In addition, the charity partygoers will vote for their favorite dish by placing a Charity Ribbon on the chef's board that is their choice.

So here we go...

Rhadika = Partridge in a Pear Tree

Braised Duck Leg on Toasted Brioche with Pear Chutney

Personally for me, the best interpretation of the concept

Thumbs up from the judges.

7d0b1060c1d22abf5c46110110479e0c.jpg

Carla = Two Turtledoves

Braised Chicken with Duxelles and Mushrooms Caps

Thumbs up from the judges.

Leah = Three French Hens

Braised Guinea Hen with Butternut Squash on Brioche

Thumbs down from the judges.

No Four Calling Birds! (too easy?)

Eugene = (all together now) Five Golden Rings!

Poisson Cru with Pineapple Ring and a Gold Yukon Chip.

Thumbs down from the judges, as they say it's way too sweet.

But I give him points for being one of the most creative in the interpretation of the theme! (stupid judges)

Ariane = Six Geese a Laying

Deviled eggs six different ways, including - crab salad, balsamic vinegar, salmon, etc.

Natasha Richardson lurvs these, but the Judge Chefs scoff at the mere idea that you would dare to do Deviled Eggs.

Personally, I thought this was another good interpretion for what she had, and Deviled Eggs can be an elegant appetizer in certain situations dangit!

a0c390126c3693879849ad871eb30c92.jpg

(let me post this before I lose it)...

I believe I already mentioned that.;)

Oh, if I only had pictures of those plates!

So...

Jamie = Seven Swans a Swimming

Crudo of Sea Scallop "swimming" in vichyssoise.

Just saying, crudo is raw fish. So it's raw sea scallop.

Judges give it a big thumbs down.

I think it would have been wiser to do some kind of "swan" (duck, etc.) dish "swimming" in vichyssoise.

Melissa = Eight Maids a Milking

Gorgonzola and NY Strip Steak on Crostini with Cranberry Vinagrette

The judges give a big thumbs down, due to the overwhelming of the cheese.

But remember that her original cheese choice, was lost in the great refrigerator accident.

I don't know how it tasted, but I personally think it was a really nice original interpretation of her theme. Dairy for the "milking", and Steak for the cows they were milking.

Just sayin'

Fabio = Nine Ladies Dancing

Sweet Corn and Roasted Pepper Crab Cake

So, since Fabio did so well, schmoozing the ladies at the last challenge, he's figuring that the stretch of Crab's Legs mean ladies dancing with their legs.

But then, there are no crab's legs, or legs of any kind.

Just crab cakes.

Jeff = Ten Lords a Leaping

Seared Halloumi and Kassiere Cheese with Roasted Beets and Pears.

This is a really difficult theme, he wanted to originally use frogs legs (better idea than Fabio), but there weren't any.

He goes with the theme that all of the cheese and the ingredients are from different islands, so the dish is leaping from island to island.

The judges love it, and I personally must say it's the one thing (besides Ariane's) that I would love to eat, and think is really creative.

f487f35a949473a5079fb23a4243b29d.jpg

Hosea = Eleven Pipers Piping

Pork Loin with Chiplotle Mashed Potatoes

35760f2f488ea79a882d53f76dc69877.jpg

The judges (and apparently the female guests either love that food, or lurv them some Hosea) give him thumbs up.

The idea originally was that he smoked the Pork Loin, but then lost that in the refrigerator incident, so went with Chipotle as the smoked flavor.

I laugh, and I laugh.

Eleven Pipers Piping, are not smoking pipes dude!

They are playing musical instruments!

Therefore, this idea is dorky and lame already in my mind (but apparently the ladies at this charity event don't care about that).

Duh! I give thumbs down for being a Dumas, and no one having a clue about how Dumas he was on missing the entire reality of his theme.

Stefan = Twelve Drummers Drumming

Creamy Chicken Pot Pie with Asparagus, Peas and Parsley

He explains the concept that the shape of the pot pie represents the drum, and the chicken represents the drum sticks.

Me thinks this is a well executed concept!

4a5a60876f3a3b58d5ebe08190144e5d.jpg

My problem is that it doesn't look that actually "drummy".

Or pot pie-y.

Perhaps if he could have found some cool thin breadsticks to add, or actually (excuse my yelling) USED THE ASPARAGUS for drumsticks!

Just sayin'

So Top four are

Radhika, Jeff, Hosea, and Stefan.

Hosea wins! And I call super lame, and super foul on that fact that his frikkin concept has so missed the mark on the actual theme!

Radhika especially has been ripped off again, but I'm seconding Jeff as another ripoff; then at the very least - Stefan had an almost perfect concept!

Whatever.

Bottom Three are Eugene, Melissa, and Jamie.

Eugene for being too sweet.

Melissa for being too cheesey.

Jamie for raw scallops.

The judges can't decide, so they go back to the room, tell them they are disappointed; but becuase it's "Christmas" - no one will be sent home!

No one really stepped up to the plate on appetizer challenge!

I call foul on this whole episode now, as what did they expect with the ridiculous contraints of the challenge?

Make up your minds!

Making food for 250 to 300 people in that time frame, in that serving method really, really cuts down what you can do.

So, did you want what was good and knowledgable in those circumstances?

Or did you want what was going crazy outside the box, regardless of the circumstances?

On this challenge...

Judges - you ALL can pack your knives and go!

But apparently, the ladies lurv them some Fabio, and I don't think that they are paying attention to the actual food, concept or anything else.

Just Fabio.

The judges (and apparently the female guests either love that food, or lurv them some Hosea) give him thumbs up.
Well.......they don't say "sex sells" for no reason......:rolleyes:

Deviled Eggs can be an elegant appetizer in certain situations dangit!

Absolutely!!! My tummy gets all happy when I think of certain deviled eggs from a certain elegant event.......:)

Oh, if I only had pictures of those plates!
Yeah......You and MCJW will be celebrating your 50th anniversary and we'll still be kicking ourselves for not getting pictures of the appetizer plate..........:o

Anyway - I thought the Something Blue was lame. I started watching a few minutes late and missed the explanation, but I figured it out easily enough......so when they came up with a "sea" theme from "Something Blue," I was thinking :confused:. And you're right - they could have done SO much more with seafood that has "blue" in the name. Lots of options there, especially if you add in blue cheese or blue corn chips or stuff along those lines. Triple Dog Dur for that team...........

As for the judging....One of the things that twerked me about Project Runway was the lame judging and manipulation.....Apparently this practice is fairly standard..... When they said they couldn't decide, I said, "WTH??" You are the judges!!! Do your job! And they even got to taste the stuff - unlike us!!!:(

Oh well - I'll still turn on the TV for future episodes.....

AND - WE all LURV us some CJW for doing these awesome reviews. :) It makes it all so much more interesting and fun, as well as easier to make comments.

So keep it up buddy, you RAWK!!!!!

Episode Seven

Quickfire Challenge

Create a dessert without using any sugar.

First of all, I think this is slightly stupid, because they are allowed to use things like syrup and honey, but okay...

Bottom Three

Carla who made a Banana Chocolate Medallion something. She wanted to freeze the bananas to make ice cream, but then - dur - it's a QUICKfire challenge, so she didn't have enough time to freeze the bananas.

Ariane who makes a Whole Wheat Crepe, and Whipped Cream that apparently is so whipped and solid that the guest judge refuses to add it.

Jamie who makes a Phyllo and Fruit with Marscapone and Ricotta cheese (which is apparently overpoweringly cheesey).

Top Three

Jeff who makes a Baklava Spring Roll filled with nuts and honey, with Cherry and Fig Fat Free Frozen Yogurt.

8a76012550a4169e22e7f5df132de40e.jpg

Leah makes a Pancake Stack with Balsamic Reduction.

Radhika makes Bread Pudding with Berries and Honeyed Nuts.

650ca5c5948ea9d46768af856d0a8e5b.jpg

Radhika is the winner.

But I personally think that Jeff is robbed, and he has the worst luck ever on the guest judges, and any teams he ends up on...

:(

Elimination Challenge

Toby Young is to be the new judge, while Gail is off getting married.

So the challenge is to cook a Family Style Meal in two groups - with a blind taste test.

This means that the judges will not know who made what - so they will be judging on food only.

Group A is Melissa, Jamie, Hosea, Eugene, Fabio, and Radhika.

Group B is Jeff, Carla, Stefan, Ariane, and Leah.

The twist when they get there, is that each team is on the panel to judge the tasting of the other group's dishes - while they watch it on TV in the back kitchen!

Radhika makes Crab Bisque and Lemon Crab Salad - thumbs down.

Hosea makes Bacon Wrapped Halibut with Root Vegetables - and everyone thinks the root vegetables are way better than the main fish portion.

Jamie cooks Scallops (again) with Fennel and Orange - but everyone loves it this round.

Fabio makes Lamb with Homemade Ravioli - lamb gets a thumbs down, but ravioli gets thumbs up.

Eugene makes Deep Fried Fish (fried in a shape to look like it's swimming) with Daikon and Tomato Basil Sauce - big bland thumbs down.

Melissa makes Tuna Tacos! - and the new judge says it tastes like cat food!

Remember that they are pretty free and clear with budget and what they want to create, so they are supposed to be completely wowing this new judge!

Group B

Carla makes Risotto with Scallops - thumbs down, too garlic-y.

Stefan makes Roasted Duck with Braised Cabbage and Dumplings.

Apparently great, and very true to his family.

Jeff makes a Tapas Trio, with Oysters, Seared Tuna, Avocado Sorbet, and Grilled Peaches.

The new judge Toby Young freakin' lurvs it! But Tom Colicchio hates on some Jeff.

Ariane makes a Skate Wing with Cauliflower Puree - and they love it, even though she made the same Cauliflower Puree a couple days ago...

Leah creates a Fried Rouget with Fried Beans.

Top Three are

Ariane (really? - uhmmm, ewwww)

c0e04d06c9608d0dbdbf5caf4b374d92.jpg

Stefan

a152159f4aa2d636dc08a5a30508373d.jpg

(I must say that this would be a great addition to any Scandinavian Feast - modern version of very old school)

Jamie

6210c22b4c0d749b7a82a2d85fa76714.jpg

Jamie wins (finally)!

Bottom Three are

Melissa - Tuna Tacos, really? On Top Chef? Deviled Eggs Six Different Ways was more inventive.

Eugene - Sure the fish looked cool in that swimming shape, but apparently it tasted all kinds of bland.

So Carla is the one remaining to stay, as they see still more potential, and again unlike the other two, she at least expresses the concepts in her mind on how she can improve her dishes to the judges.

In this particular situation, I think it was the best judging option.

Episode Eight

Quickfire Challenge

Top Chef Winner Hung is there as the guest judge.

There is a big sheet over something that all of the chefs are guessing is some kind of crazy seafood or something, as Hung was famous for tackling that...

Padma whips off the sheet, and it's CANNED FOOD!

What is simultaneously high-sterical and annoying to me is that

most of the chefs are literally absolutely horrified that they would dare have to cook with canned ingredients.

I mean, seriously...

Improvise people! And also, not every home cook in the world (which is your viewing audience - dur!) has the utmost freshest gourmet ingredients to use on a daily basis.

And also, aren't very successful (more than any of them) chefs like Rachel Ray, and Sandra Lee completely famous for being able to create great dishes out of ordinary ingredients?!?!

I must say that I am really annoyed at all of their pseudo "I am disgusted by the mere mention of any canned ingredients" attitude.

So, instead of Hung's special Guest Judge ability being about his way with crazy seafood - it's actually about how he was so great at creating things really really fast!

So, they only have 15 minutes to work.

Bottom Three

Leah with Waffles with Strawberries, Cool Whip, and Sausage.

Radhika with Spicy Bean Dip and Grilled Bread? (like did you even try?)

Jamie with Brushetta topped with Garbanzo Beans, Artichokes, and Mussels (ewww).

It's like none of them even tried.

Top Three

Hosea makes Sweet Pea Soup with Spam, Onion Rings, Pork Rinds, and Hearts of Palm.

a36adbaeb95f4ef6cde9b47043dcf7f7.jpg

Stefan makes Baked Bean Soup with Spam, and a Grilled Cheese and Spam Sandwich (Hosea let him use his extra Spam).

b8e51472d027674d9f34f8e5db37b707.jpg

Jeff makes a Trio of Fried Conch, Coconut Sauce, and a Pina Colada.

31f1b72bc58a84e54f823b7c4fa9e981.jpg

Seriously impressive, for canned food and 15 minutes...

But, Jeff gets skunked again, and it's Stefan who wins!

And then, Hosea is really mad at himself for lending Stefan his extra Spam, because Stefan probably wouldn't have won - if he didn't share.

Hosea and Stefan have a major rivalry now at this point...

Elimination Challenge

Now that they've done the entire "un-freshest ingredients ever"...

They are going back to basics...

So they draw knives that say either

Pig, Chicken, or Lamb.

So they have to cook a Family Style Meal including dessert based around the "protein" they have on their team.

They get to plan their meals in teams, then get the to sleep.

Wake up super BF Early, and get in the cars, and end up on a farm.

They have to "shop" for all their ingredients on what is available on the farm.

And suddenly, a lot of these chefs who were all hoity toity about only cooking with the freshest ingredients, are getting a bit squeamish about actually "meeting" their "proteins" in person.

Team Lamb goes first and it's Hosea, Leah, and Ariane.

Roasted Lamb Loin, Lamb Roulade with Herb Garlic Crust, Heirloom Tomato Salad.

2f27301a68f33d94e73489f326825db5.jpg

Summer Berry Trifle with Vanilla Creme.

Team Pork is Jeff, Fabio, and Radhika.

Sausage, Eggplant, and Zucchini Ravioli, with a Fresh Pesto Sauce, Fried Green Tomatoes, and a Corn and Bacon Salad.

fc85ade452f33adc3840d9f1386a03b4.jpg

Vanilla and Lavender Creme Brulee.

Team Chicken is Stefan, Jamie, and Carla.

Chicken Cutlets with a Corn and Tomato Salad, Roast Chicken, Fresh Tomato Salad with Basil and Red Onions, and Chicken and Swiss Chard Ravioli Soup.

Strawberry and Nectarine Tartlet with Thyme and Lemon Creme.

This is Carla's, and apparently everyone lurvs it.

And apparently, it's so much the better desert than all the others, that it pushes them team in for the win!

9ae28de7fdc81fbfb4bd443576d04a64.jpg

But yet, they don't give Carla the individual win, and just say the three of them win (robbed!)

Team Pork is in the bottom, but apparently Jeff's Fried Green Tomatoes saved their team.

Team Lamb is in the bottom, but apparently didn't even have a Carla! or Jeff! to save their team.

The lamb itself was apparently that bad, and since Ariane - the one they have been praising in the past few weeks for her incredible meat cooking skills - cooked the lamb, she is out!

(Now, she should have been out the first two or three weeks - and they seemingly unfairly kept her around, because of her great skills at cooking basic meat dishes!)

So finally Jeff and Carla get the best dishes, but neither get a break either!

Robbed!

:p

I mainly lurk and read this thread and really enjoy it!

This years Top Chef has been a very interesting season..I am so excited that the final is in New Orleans and I think Carla is going to SHINE!..Thats her type of food..Stephan..HUMMM It will be interesting to see how he does..My pick is Carla!

Well, Carla IS originally from Nashville, and she has been coming into her own in the latter episodes...

Going to New Orleans might be the undoing for one of the two Euros. I know the previews showed Emeril basically saying how bland some of the food was.

Whoo hoo! GOOO CARLA!..I was really pulling for Jeff to win and thought both Fabio and Stephan should have gone home..I wanted to slap Stephan upside the head when he said Joseas Gumbo was crap....One look at Joseas gumbo and you knew it was spot on..And who dosent love Emeril!..BAM!..He had nothing but good things to say about Jeff...I could see him being a wonderful mentor..Didnt you all love the way the judges faces lit up when they had Carlas food??..Slam dunk girl!

Kelly

Whoo hoo! GOOO CARLA!..I was really pulling for Jeff to win and thought both Fabio and Stephan should have gone home..I wanted to slap Stephan upside the head when he said Joseas Gumbo was crap....One look at Joseas gumbo and you knew it was spot on..And who dosent love Emeril!..BAM!..He had nothing but good things to say about Jeff...I could see him being a wonderful mentor..Didnt you all love the way the judges faces lit up when they had Carlas food??..Slam dunk girl!

Kelly

I would love to see Carla win everything! It will interesting to see what the three of them come up with next week. The final is always the same thing - your best three courses, so they should have thought about it quite a bit.

Kelly

I think they were really torn between Carla and Jeff on the win and (not that Carla didn't deserve the win on her own merits) part of the reason she got it was because they didn't want to get rid of both Stefan and Fabio which would've happened if they'd given Jeff the win.

I also was really impressed with Carla's decision NOT to go with an alcoholic beverage. Too many times in the past, we've seen people go with "safe" because they think that's what the judges want rather than stick with their own style (for example, being afraid to cook a vegetarian dish because they think the judges want meat). I think taste wise it was an extremely smart decision because since she doesn't drink she wouldn't have been able to tell whether her flavors were true in an alcoholic drink.

And I had the same thought on Hosea's gumbo - his looked like a gumbo. Stefan's was NOT a gumbo. He can say what he wants but a gumbo starts with a dark roux, that's a basic part of being a gumbo.

I suppose they'll get their "ex contestant sous chef" help again, no? Who knows, team Europe might show up again after all... But Stefan (whose food personally I have enjoyed the most) will definitely have to bring his A game.

Frankly, the way they set up the show yesterday, it certainly looked liked he might be axed.

WOO HOO Carla! She looked GREAT in the finale part 1 episode (I take back my previous "model" comment). I honestly believed that Stefan should have gone home, BUT they always keep the "bad boy".. Don't they??

Host Dan

WOO HOO Carla! She looked GREAT in the finale part 1 episode (I take back my previous "model" comment). I honestly believed that Stefan should have gone home, BUT they always keep the "bad boy".. Don't they??

Host Dan

Just guessing. Overall Stefan has done better than Fabio throughout the season. So it may have come down to they had definite issues with both, and decided to use overall performance throughout the season as the tie breaker.

Just guessing. Overall Stefan has done better than Fabio throughout the season. So it may have come down to they had definite issues with both, and decided to use overall performance throughout the season as the tie breaker.

I see your point.... Anyway, I hope Carla can pull off a win, but maybe thats based on my enjoyment of her personality?

Host Dan

Archived