Top Chef

Curt Jerome Wild

I love this show! They had a Top Chef marathon recently, and it was fun watching the previous seasons again, even though I didn't care for Hung. He wasn't as bad as Tiffany. My favorite episodes are the ones where Anthony Bourdain is a guest judge.

I haven't seen any info on the new group. How about anyone else?

I love this show! They had a Top Chef marathon recently, and it was fun watching the previous seasons again, even though I didn't care for Hung. He wasn't as bad as Tiffany. My favorite episodes are the ones where Anthony Bourdain is a guest judge.

I haven't seen any info on the new group. How about anyone else?

Can't wait for the new series! :D

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/about/index.php

Yesterday I happened to catch the tail end of "Snacks on a Plane" from last season, the one where CJ made "the single worst dish in the history of this show"- broccolini. Very funny.

Do you find yourself everytime you eat out becoming a food critic? We took my DH's grandmother out to lunch after church today for her birthday, to a seafood restaurant. It was not very good (could be possibly because we are located so far from the sea??), and we ended up tasting each other's dishes and making snarky remarks, such as "tastes like tuna from the can, so could use some mayo and pickles" and "tastes like it has been soaking in water for 2 days", and my favorite, "tastes like a wet piece of cardboard." I think Anthony Bourdain would be proud.

Did anyone catch it last night? I didn't get home until late, and it was already off. I see it is on tonight again at 7, so maybe I can catch it again. From the promos, looks like Bourdain and DiSpirito (sp?) are the guest judges. Wouldn't you love to see those 2 in the same room trading insults?

but the potty-mouths were rampant. I am certainly not a prude, but all the censors "beeps" wore on my nerves. They were so fast and furius, not to mention the "M-F's" thrown around arbitrarily- I was a bit surprised. I do'nt remember that amount of cursing in past seasons. In one of my offices, they have a poster with all the contestants and have a pool to pick the winner. I saw it this afternoon and want in on it-$5 to play. I do not know how they run it, but I intend to find out.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been watching?

I think that so far this season has had some of the best challenges!

I loved the Zoo Animal one. And thought that the Gorilla team sucked because they added meat to the Gorilla diet...

I loved the Penguin Team!

I loved the Block Party challenge...

But my absolute favorite was the Movie Challenge!

Great idea!

I totally thought that The Willy Wonka/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory deserved the win.

I thought that the other top one didn't - I understand the concept of beef having to do with the cow from Top Secret; but then they went off in a totally Asian realm that had nothing to do with the movie (or they didn't explain what it had to do with anything)...

If anything, there should have been some European flavors in there.

The one that got ripped off in my opinion, as far as best theme matching the Film was A Christmas Story one.

Because it incorporated Christmas food AND Asian food, which was the entire plot point of that movie! (stupid judges)

Then finally, I thought that the lowest team deserved it, because they just decided to cook Vietnamese food, and then find a movie with Vietnam in the title...

And the other Latin chef on that team should have stepped it up, and had more backbone.

What do you all think?

The Willy Wonka team- it was either going to get them in the top or way at the bottom- salmon, fake caviar, and chocolate? No way that is middle of the ground food. I'm glad it worked out for them. I really like Stephanie so far, but I'm partial to a woman finally winning this thing.

I think the level of talent is way up this year, and that makes for a great competition. In contrast, I watched Kitchen Nightmares the other night, and I can cook better than half the folks on that show, really sad. Don't see anyone with any talent there at all, and I did enjoy watching it last season.

On a funny note- we were on Voyager last week, and went to Portofino's. I got the shrimp with saffron risotto for appetizer, and all I could think about was Top Chef last season when Howie put cream in his risotto to make it creamy and he got called on it by all the judges (something about if you cook it correctly, it will make its own cream?). I've never really had risotto- it never sounded appealing to me, but this dish at Portofino's was excellent. And I'm sure they didn't add cream!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still rooting for Stephanie- she's a strong competitor. I also like Richard. Definately don't like Spike, and the Australian guy hasn't cooked a thing so far that I would like to eat. Lisa's food looks good, but I don't think I could work with her in the kitchen- complains and curses too much, very negative.

Again- language very foul. My kids like to watch the show with me, and even they have commented on the number of bleeps. Maybe they are trying to out-curse Gordon Ramsey.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL shows how each person has her/his favorite. My favorite IS Spike (Hat guy) ! lol I just like when at the movie challenge he refused to throw anyone under the bus. Didn't say send me home, gosh I HATE when they play this kiss up line to the judges, but refused to say yeah send my partner home. Also he has alot of personality.

Who does everyone think will be in the top 5 or 6?

although my favorite is Spike and I do think he will be in the top 5 or 6 I am predicting that Richard will win this one. It will have to be something really, really stupid (like CJ's brocholli ) that would do it because he is CLEARLY, CLEARLY ahead. I can't think of many challenges (except the elements) where he wasn't on one of the best teams.

I also predict that Dale will be in the top and perhaps Lisa because if you look at past episodes there is ALWAYS one that keeps the drama up by being a totally obnoxious player just to keep up the audiences interest (lest we not forget Stephen and Tiffany season 1, Marcel season 2, I think in season 3 they wanted to pull Hung off as the difficult one but never quite accomplished it . . . I think that season was more the bald guy with the Jersey accent? I remember him causing problems with the bar challenge). Sometimes I think these shows will purposely put a jerk in one of the leads to keep up the drama reguardless of how there food compares to the others.

But I'm off topic. . . So who are you saying is in the top 6? My picks are

1) Richard--clearly the frontrunner

2) Spike- everyone knows they have to have a sexy one

3) Dale and or Lisa--for the all important drama

4) Stephanie- I think she has a pretty good chance although she hasn't made any wins in quickfire challenge she's done pretty good in elimination challenges

5) Antonio- She's got something. I think she has a good chance. Kinda middle of the road but many middle of the rows make it to the finals

6) Andrew- Same as Antonio pretty solid middle and let's remember from last season Casey, Dale AND Brian were all middle of the rowers

Richard

Dale

Spike

Antonia

I am only listing my top 4. I have been in agreement with the shows cuts thus far. My bet for the next to go is going to be Andrew. Too middle of the road and not the most imaginative in the group- IMHO.

My co-workers son at Seton Hall Univ has a dorm viewing/drinking game set up on Weds. You continually pass a bottle around the group gathered and everytime a word is censored- whoever has the bottle- they have to take a shot. I would imagine more than a few bleary eyed kids THursday mornings. Let's hope the foul mouths calm a bit this week- for the sake of educating our "youth" at least. Oh, to be young again.

As I said earlier, the "beeps" from the censors are wearing on my last nerve. I agree, maybe they are trying to compete w/Chef Ramsey. But I also agree (therefore making me a bit of a hypocrite because I LOVE the ever-irreverant Anthony Bourdain & his books!)- as having read about the every day runnings of a real kitchen with real personalities, I guess the language could be a lot worse. It is not as much the language that I find annoying (hey, I am a Teamster and have pretty much "heard it all") -it is just all the beeping that annoy me. Besides, am I the only one who fills in the beeps in their minds?? They do a lousy job "beeping" anyway- you nearly always know what was said and not just by the context of the conversation. Re-air the show at 2am uncensored and I will tune in.

Can't wait for the next challenge.

Hi, All! I just discovered this thread - wow, who knew? A discussion board on my two favorite topics - Top Chef and Cruising! I agree that a Top Chef show on a cruise ship would get MY vote. Shoot, I'd sign up for that cruise.

I agree that there seems to be a LOT of cursing this season.

But I have another question - does anyone else agree that it's time for Lisa to go? Her attitude just stinks, imho, and she's been in the bottom more times than anyone it seems. I really thought she deserved to go for the whole "Polish Sausage" episode . . .

Anyway, cool board. Looking forward to watching the rest of the season and hearing everyone else's comments!:D

Hey all! I just discovered this thread also! I love Top Chef!! I was so mad at our cable system last night because the digital cable kept freezing! It was stuck on the picture of Richard and Andrew putting groceries in the cart for 10 minutes!! I had to stay up and watch the replay just to see the whole show.

I also think Lisa and Dale have a clock ticking over their head. Especially since Dale dented that locker this week.

I liked Nikki, but she should have stepped up and taken the reins over her team, and she probably would have come out on top. Dale was off in a world by himself, sulking from the relay race.

I, also think Richard is the strongest to win it all, but I still like Stephanie, despite her awful-sounding and tasting peanut butter/tomato couscous in the previous episode.

I would like to see Dale or Lisa go, but the drama must go on so at least one of them will probably wind up being in the final few. I think Dale will hang in there longer than Lisa because his seems to be better skilled technically than she.

I would like to see Andrew be a bit more creative because he is a bit snarky (which I like) but too middle of the road for him to last for much longer. At least that is how I see it.

I did not start out watching this show the first season until I wound up with a bad cold and stayed in bed for 2 days straight and just happened onto it during one of their "marathon" back to back episodes right before the final competition. It was awesome to just veg on the couch and watch show after show after show. Now I am hooked.

Oddly, I do not watch any of the other competition shows (Top Model, So You Think You Can Dance, Project Runway, American Idol) or other reality shows (Survivor, Big Bro.{is that even still on the air?}, etc.) but I just find this show really entertaining. Hell's Kitchen is just too obnoxious to watch with any regularity. In the few bits and pieces of the episodes I have seen, I feel this year the poor contestants are so unprepared and their skill levels are just not up to par to be working in a kitchen that it seems a bit unfair to me. The foodie in me likes to watch TC for the menus, techniques, etc. where the same old stuff HK churns out is just boring. I know it is a different type of competition, but IMHO it just is not really watchable. Plus my blood pressure goes up and I have the urge to punch chef Ramsey, so what fun is that?

Looking forward to next week.

I have the urge to punch chef Ramsey, so what fun is that?

Looking forward to next week.

TOTALLY agree! Everyone at work talks about Survivor, Idol, etc. and this is about the only reality show I'll watch. We do watch "Next Food Network Star" but it doesn't have the same punch as TC.

I felt bad for Nicci this week, but agree -- she lost 'cause she didn't step up. I still think Lisa should have gone home a couple of weeks ago for the whole polish sausage debacle, but I guess I should let that go, huh?:rolleyes:

My prediction? (not that anyone asked, but I'm full of free advice) Andrew and Lisa will go next, then Spike. Top Four will be Dale, Antonia, Richard and Stephanie and Richard will take home the prize.

Just my $0.02. Have a good week-end everybody!

I think Richard is definitely one of the top 4, along with Antonia. I love Stephanie, but she really runs hot/cold and has made a few bad choices. The fact she got that wedding cake together in 14 hours is awesome! My fourth choice is hard. I'm not crazy about spike and Dale might make the top 4, but not the top 2. Love Andrew, but again, he doesn't take enough risks I think. Lisa is toast, probably gone next wednesday.

I think Lisa will probably be the next one to go also. I think it's kinda funny that at first I think Andrew was trying to play the "bad" guy some but too bad for him there was already Dale and Lisa. I think Andrew is a pretty good guy that was just trying to play it so he could stay till the end.

I don't know why but Spike is my favorite.

Archived