Book Directly Through The Cruiseline or With a Travel Agent

Do you find that it is cheaper to book directly through the cruise line or with another travel agent/company?

I have booked directly through the cruise lines in the past. I am just wondering do outside agents/cruise companies offer better deals or not?

if you know exactly what you want regarding a cruise --line -ship - sail date -- then all you need is someone to book a ticket for you and imo its silly to pay retail to the cruiseline when you can get it a lot cheaper

for the cruise i am on hal wants 1734 for the vf guarantee cabin and i just made my final payment to my on line email only ta for the same cabin and only paid 1634 plus a 50 dollar shipboard credit ------------that a total saving of 150 that is better in my pocket then in theirs

It depends on how experienced the travel agent is, or how much effort the agent is willing to invest to get you the best deal. Our travel agent has always found us a discounted cruise rate and then packages it with a low fare charter flight for an overall good bargain.

I have found that the TA and cruiseline both have the same price.

I always book with the same TA because she offers excellent service and she is able to help with hotels, airfare, etc.

I know several people who've booked through the cruiseline directly and had no complaints.

Because my TA offers such good service I prefer to give the business to her.

I have found that the TA and cruiseline both have the same price.

I always book with the same TA because she offers excellent service and she is able to help with hotels, airfare, etc.

I know several people who've booked through the cruiseline directly and had no complaints.

Because my TA offers such good service I prefer to give the business to her.

That also depends on what cruiseline you use. RCI doesn't allow TA's to discount their fares..Princess, Carnival and others do allow TA's to discount.

IMO research it. I booked an AA mini suite for our Jan cruise and we saved over 650 pp from the Princess website. Princess was 1549 pp before taxes....I paid 882 pp before taxes

I believe the latest policy is that local TAs and online TAs cannot advertise a lower rate than the cruiseline. However, they can make discounts if they choose to lower their commission.

It would be difficult to make a blank statement as to which is 'cheaper'. Everyone has their own BEST way to book a cruise. I've used TAs and also the cruiseline's agents. You have to be a savvy shopper, check all venues, and then make an intelligent decision on which is less expensive, or meets your criteria. Deals are out there; whichever you choose is up to you.:)

• 2 weeks later...

It is the policy of cruise lines to offer all available cruise line fares to TAs, so your TA will at least be able to match the cruise line's price. The cruise lines do this so they are not undercutting any of their valuable TAs. There are still benefits to booking with an experienced TA, however, that you may not get when you book directly with the cruise line.

For example, I just rebooked a cruise for a couple traveling on a Princess Panama Canal Cruise in April 07. They had originally booked with the cruise line, and I was able to not only match their rate, but get them a $150 per person onboard credit that the cruise line did not offer them.

Many larger agencies may also have group space available on many cruises that will offer you a lower rate than the lowest available through the cruise line. If you can get a group space room, not only will you enjoy cost savings, but you may also receive extra perks such as free onboard credits, free cocktail party (open bar!), free gifts, etc.

With the added service and potential cost savings and benefits that an experienced TA has to offer, it is always worth while to contact a travel agent before booking directly with a cruise line.

I prefer to use "online" travel agents vs. the cruise line. If you do a little

research, you can come up with a better deal. The better deal may not be the price of the cruise, it could be in the form of a bus trip to the port, onboard credit or credit if you book a future cruise. I have had my TA deliver an extra bottle of wine , throw in a free shore, upgrade a catagory or two if you book. However, I found that if you want a very last miniute cruise (like two hours before the sailing) the cruise lines is the best way to go.

Archived