What clothes to take?

Dave & Julie

I am sailing on the Norwegian Star next week to Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican and Glacier Bay. I am starting to think about clothes to take and wonder what weight is right. Short sleeved tee's? Light sweaters? Heavy sweaters? Shorts or sandals? I will be prepared for rain and cooler weather but wonder if I need things for warmer days. Thanks! Julie

Hi Julie...

I have been watching the web cams in the ports and it is aways interesing to watch the Skagway White Pass Cam... one day people in shorts and tee shirts the next day people in coats and hats...

We are taking shorts and tees and sandals.. just in case :cool:

have a great cruise, be sure to do a review!

When cruising Alaska, I think the best strategy is to dress in layers. No need for winter clothing. You can start with a t-shirt, then a regular shirt, perhaps a sweatshirt and always be prepared with a rain-proof (or at least rain-resistant), hooded windbreaker. For the on-deck viewings of glaciers (when you're basically just standing around), you might even need gloves and a hat.

Be sure to do this when you pack!!

Put an amount of clothing of each person in each lauagge, that way if they loose you lluagge or something happens (like it did to me), you will at least have something to wear!!!

A bottle of shampoo came open in one laugge, I lost half my clothes!!! It was a mess!!! That was one of those flip top bottles, do not take them.

One trip I wore one shirt the whole time I was on there!

I went to weatherchannel.com and printed out 10 day forecasts and planned around that. We were on the Star 6/27-7/04 and the only time we really needed warmer clothing was in Glacier Bay. I am a cold-natured person but most other days, my jacket was tied around my waste. My jacket was not heavy; a lined rainjacket with a hood. I did wear gloves glacier watching. Layering is the key. I wore windpants, long t-shirt, windpant jacket most days. Most of our days were over 60 and into the 70's. Have a great time...it's beautful!

Glacier Bay is going to be cold, especially if you go in the morning. Also, expect it to be cold on deck when at sea. However, you may also experience 80 degree weather midday after very cool mornings. As others have said, dressing in layers is best. Last year, I started off with a coat, sweatshirt and tshirt. By the end of the day, I was down to the tshirt. Probably as important as dressing in layers is to have a water and wind repellant outer layer. Gloves, hat, and a scarf was also beneficial when we saw the glacier as it was cold early on, but we went in early June.

My best advice is to go to Walmart and buy some water-repellant spray. You can usually find it in the shoe department. Since I didn't want to go out and buy a new hat, gloves, shoes, etc., I simply treated my articles with it before I left. It worked wonderfully, and it can be washed out by throwing the items into a washing machine.

Enjoy!

Archived