Evening clothes for Alaskan cruise?

Dave & Julie

That is the beauty of Freestlye. Formals are not needed. There is a formal night that is usually held in one of the main restaurants while the other main restaurant is reserved for those who do not wish to dress in formal wear. Main dress for the evening is resort casual. Men: dockers and shirt. Women: nice capris, pantsuit, sundress, etc. Jeans and shorts are not allowed in the main dining rooms. If you want super casual the buffet is a great option.

We saw very few evening gowns on our June cruise on the Sun. More casual dresses or pantsuits and sport coats for "formal" night seemed to be more popular. I took a dress for formal night since we wanted pictures, but it definitely wasn't an evening gown. The rest of the nights I wore khaki type pants and henley/polo type shirt in the dining rooms.

Can women wear nice khaki-type pants and a nice shirt/sweater for the resort casual style of dress for dinner? I was planning on them as part of my day/evening wear. I plan to bring a skirt and pantsuit also, but if I need to bring more I need to plan accordingly. Thanks for the info.

I just returned from the Star (4-11). The formal night was not really formal for the most part. I wore an evening pant suit and my husband wore a dark suit. We were dressed alot more formal than most. To be truthful, I wear more "dressy" clothes to work and my co-workers think I am a dress-down type of person. Apparently formal for most passengers meant "church clothes.'

On our recent Alaskan cruise on the Star, I wore dresses to dinner each night, just because I like to dress up. Bruce wore khaki slacks and button-down short sleeve cotton shirts, plus his ever-present sandals. On Formal night I wore a lightweight navy and black sleeveless evening dress that is easy to pack. I had a shawl and dressy shoes. Bruce wore grey slacks, long sleeve grey dress shirt and tie. We were comfortable as many others were outfitted similarly. There WERE also many who wore formal attire as well. Those folks wanted formal pictures and were dressed for that occasion. But it's not required. One restaurant, Versailles, was designated as the formal dinner restaurant.

And not surprisingly, I did see one family dressed in shorts and t-shirts in the Versailles that night. They stood out like sore thumbs. :-)

Cathy

bbcruise -- I am female, and that is exactly what I wore to dinner most nights. I did take one dress, not formal, for pictures. I don't own an evening gown, and that is one thing that appeals greatly about NCL is not having to buy one. I'm short and overweight, and nothing out there fits properly!

Archived