help me understand- formal outfits just for dinner? what else? worth the time/effort?

CarrieAndBrian

MHQ - August is the rainy season in FL. but that does not mean that it rains all day. What it means is there is rain practically every day but more in terms of a thundershower etc. that lasts no longer than an hour (usually less).

Although we have also cruised RCCL, Carnival - our recent experiences were on NCL and Celebrity. On the Celebrity board you might get the idea that people on NCL dress in their "biker" clothes and people on Celebrity dress to the "nines" - this is just not true.

Yes, NCL is more casual - formal is optional - so if you are cruising NCL - all your worries are over.

On Celebrity, I watched very carefully what was worn on formal night because the Celebrity board "scared me" into thinking unless we had tux and bridesmaid type clothing, we would be freaks.

Well, this is my experience - you will be comfortable in the dining room on formal night while wearing a slightly dressier than work dress or a pair of dress slacks and a fancier top or a long peasant skirt as well as anything dressier. The men were wearing everything from tuxes to light suits to dark suits - with turtlenecks, with vests without ties.

No matter what the people on Celebrity board wish the experience will be - they are not 100% accurate in their comments about the number of people dressed to the nines.

And as far as staying dressed all evening - You can change into a nice comfortable outfit after dinner - but if you change into shorts, you may run into a staff person that bars you from the evenings entertainment.

As far as bringing two outfits - why? What's the difference if you are seen in the same outfit both formal nights. Besides, I've found that the second and third formal nights tend to get more casual with each day - by the third night, you will see a much casual overall appearance - I think that is due to others seeing just what they can get "away with" and still be considered properly dressed.

BTW - dockers are not usually seen in the dining room on formal and semi-formal night, unless they are darker in color - therefore, disguising their "dockerness." Khaki colored clothes scream casual - so if your dockers are khaki, they'll only be good for casual night. On semi-formal night, men in long sleeved dress shirts without ties fit in well - besides you almost need to wear long sleeves in the evening because the common rooms tend to be cold.

It seems everyone on this board thinks everyone cruises because of the "dining experience." Well, we don't. We cruise because we can unpack once, wake up in different ports each day, have our entertainment and food costs already paid for - and because we like the variety of "doings" we can experience on board.

I know you want to fit in and I know you want to follow the guidelines - but I've found these boards tend to scare first time cruisers into thinking no matter what they do, they will not be dressed classy enough to fit in.

A lot of the people who rant on about how you need to bring all these formal clothes, etc., often drive to their port of embarkation and thus, the number and weight of suitcases is not a factor in their packing. Those of us who fly are always playing a balancing act - trying to get the suitcases packed just right so we don't incur the airlines overweight charges. The days of being able to haul the "kitchen sink" are over. That's why, when you pack for a long cruise, it is difficult to get all your needs into those two suitcases you are allowed. Somethings got to give, doesn't it?

Well, I trust you have the common sense to dress and behave like a classy adult, and that's good enough for me.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone. I'm off to Miami and then the cruise on Saturday. 98 Charlie ...can you believe there isn't enough people for a meet and mingle on

Navigator. I'ts no big deal I just thought it would be neet to meet some of the people on these boards.

Oh well.

P.S. I hope I'm not going to be too dressed up for formal night. It's a completely beaded halter dress, reminisant of Cher's dresses on the Sonney and Cher show back in the 70's, (though not see thru : ) ). I couldn't resist it was 26 bucks and needed a little work. My daughter isn't cooperating she insist on just wearing a cocktail dress but I wanted her to be a little more dressed up. Oh well maybe I get her to buy something in Miami.

I try to sign on again latter tonight! Bye

i hate dressing up -never had to really do it at work ---but for some reason i absolutely look forward to it on the ship --our next cruise is 12 nites and i bring 1 suit with a different shirt and tie for each formal nite-- 1 sport jacket and 3 pr slacks and the required shirts and ties on casual nites i wear the slacks with a golf type shirt------------i will even cut back on all the shirts once i know wha nites are formal etct hen i will send them out to be laundered on the ship and they will get double duty

Carrie-

We just returned from 7 day cruise/4 day land in Alaska on Dawn Princess. I found things to be much more relaxed than I expected. The formal nights were fun despite our luggage not making it for the first formal night (they loaned us what we needed). The pictures are well worth dressing up!! Most ships prefer you stay dressed throughout the evening if you are roaming the ship. Most people did, although you saw a few people who switched to jeans after dinner.

I did find that we overpacked (myself and 3 almost grown kids). We took a 27 inch and 22 inch bag (each). We only used less than half of our clothes we took. I would suggest buying t-shirts as you go, if you find you need more. Have the ship launder your clothes if needed. It sure beats dragging the luggage around.

Most of all, relax and have a wonderful time!! We found there was no reason to be worried about all of these things.

Joyce

7/2004 Dawn Princess to Alaska

Already planning next cruise (Disney)

Ok, I am sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but here goes....I hate wearing my suit or being told I HAVE to wear a suit on my vacation. After all its MY vacation. If I choose to wear suit, then its my decision. (I'm a rebel rouser as my wife describes me.) Therefore, I am resigned to eat in the buffet or order room service, which is OK with me. But, why couldn't the cruises allow a clean collared shirt (like an oxford), khakis and loafers? Why a tux or even a business suit? I didn't wear a tux to my wedding, so I am certainly not gonna wear one on my vacation.

Another pet peeve, I've been told by the cruises and hotels I've stayed at of the dress code (which I obeyed), but then saw people wearing jeans and t-shirts! Where's the consistency?

That's why I like NCL's dress code. I would like to to do Legend, but there are 2 formal nights. We could eat in the casual buffet, but I've been told that I should breakdown and wear a suit for my family.

Just so people understand me, it the fact I am told to conform to their standards is what really bothers me.

Let the flaming begin!

Ok, I am sure I'm gonna get flamed for this, but here goes....I hate wearing my suit or being told I HAVE to wear a suit on my vacation. After all its MY vacation. If I choose to wear suit, then its my decision. (I'm a rebel rouser as my wife describes me.) Therefore, I am resigned to eat in the buffet or order room service, which is OK with me. But, why couldn't the cruises allow a clean collared shirt (like an oxford), khakis and loafers? Why a tux or even a business suit? I didn't wear a tux to my wedding, so I am certainly not gonna wear one on my vacation.

Another pet peeve, I've been told by the cruises and hotels I've stayed at of the dress code (which I obeyed), but then saw people wearing jeans and t-shirts! Where's the consistency?

That's why I like NCL's dress code. I would like to to do Legend, but there are 2 formal nights. We could eat in the casual buffet, but I've been told that I should breakdown and wear a suit for my family.

Just so people understand me, it the fact I am told to conform to their standards is what really bothers me.

Let the flaming begin!

I hate wearing my suit or being told I HAVE to wear a suit on my vacation. After all its MY vacation.

That's right, Francis-- it's YOUR vacation. Therefore, you should go on YOUR vacation to someplace where there aren't rules about dressing in ways other than you wish to dress! If you think rules that others agree with and obey should be changed for YOUR vacation, what about MY vacation, when I want everyone to follow the rules and I don't want them to be changed?

(I'm a rebel rouser as my wife describes me.)
I bet you're a rabble rouser too. :D

For me, it isn't having to conform to the cruise line's guidelines (especially since I am happy to conform to the suggested code, and will do so, willingly, voluntarily), but rather the presumption of others that because we do conform to the guidelines we have some standing that warrants expecting everyone to do as we do. I hear what you're saying, fkwok, but if a cruise line actually decided to make its suggestions into minimum requirements, then it would be appropriate for folks to expect compliance with that.

This topic is really, really, really insane and really, really, really redundant. I'll bet this question is posted on every, single board on this website.

Formal is formal. Casual is casual. What more needs to be said?

If you choose not to wear what the "suggested" attire may be, eat elsewhere. It's all very simple. :eek:

Thanks for sharing your views on this!

-SNIP-

I think we'll bring one formal outfit each, and see how it goes. Generally speaking we're the khaki pants & a polo top kind of people, sort of mid-way on the formality scale.

Interesting some of the comments that were shared. I am hoping now that I've explained things a bit further, that some of the previous posters can empathize a bit better--

I guess some folks almost seemed "offended" that I would dare to consider not packing a formal outfit. But, lets face it, if I have to pack a wedding gown AND clothing AND wedding-related necessities, a sparkly evening gown isn't taking top priority here. Especially with just having a formal event (wedding and reception) the week prior to the cruise.

-SNIP-

Thanks for the input!

Carrie

Carrie, you've run afoul of the Cruise Dress & Deportment police, poor thing. Some people love to get bent out of shape about how others behave.

One huge plus of the whole dress-up thing for my wife & I is that we never do it in our everyday life, so dressing for dinner is a uniquely cruise thing - it emphasizes the "non-routine" aspect. I would think this would be especially true of a Honeymoon cruise (ours was at an all-inclusive land resort, with "formal" meaning a collar shirt & slacks)

One or maybe two formal outfits should be fine - & they really don't have to take up that much space, especially for ladie's wear, though men's suits & tuxes tend to be bulky - but check your brochure - if the cruise has only 2/3 formal nights, one dressy outfit will suffice, but many have semi-formal (confusingly labeled "informal") which are jacket and tie (but not tux) for men, and proportional for the ladies. If they do, you may want another outfit or two - still, you should be able to get all the cruise wear into one suitcase each.

So, if you really don't want to bring formal wear, don't. You may get glowered at in the DIning room, but either eat elsewhere or live with it.

Have a great wedding & honeymoon!

• 1 month later...

Hi there

Did you say that you are brining your wedding gown?? Why not wear that on formal nights??? I will be berining my wedding gown and wearing it! Whenever on erath are you going to wear a beautiful dress again?

Even if it is a very big fluffly wedding gown: go for it! I guess (hope) there will be more people, you´ll have wonderfull pictures and people WILL look at you, but only in admiration of how beautiful you look.

Some goes for your husbands wedding outfit.

Carina

• 2 weeks later...

I dress up every day for work, business atire, but still need to be dressed very well. It is no thrill to dress "formal" for me on vacation........none........... looks like I'm on the "right" cruise line, or I'd be "spoiling" someone else's dinner????

Different strokes for different folks!!! :)

The ladies can dress for formal nights very nicely without the nylons, dresses, ect. All you need is a nice pair of dressy black slacks and a couple of nice sequened tops, perfect, not too hard to pack, and hardly takes any time to dress and you look great. Too many people stress over this formal night and don't attend because they think you need a ball gown, you don't, you need to look nice and neat, a pair of black slacks, sequened top (which I always find after the holiday season in my local department store for next to nothing) and your set to go to enjoy the wonderful formal nights with little or no stress.

Men, rent a tux through http://www.cruiselineformal.com the tux is there when you arrive and you leave it when you disembark, what could be easier!!!!

Also, when I sail for 10-days, there are 3 formal nights.

Don't stress, enjoy yourself

I dress up every day for work, business atire, but still need to be dressed very well. It is no thrill to dress "formal" for me on vacation........none........... looks like I'm on the "right" cruise line, or I'd be "spoiling" someone else's dinner????

Different strokes for different folks!!! :)

ME TOO!!!! I wear panty hose to work 5 days a week with heels and suits & all that jazz. My ideal would be to stay in my bathing suit & cover up or shorts & whatever. Maybe next time I'll do a Windjammer. But for now, I'll be formal for the 2 nights. ugh!

Dolly

Didn't readall of the above, but the first formal night is always the Captain's cocktail party. If you want to get in line to meet the Captain and have your picture taken with him, you should dress up. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then go to the informal buffet and wear casual clothes. And you don't have to buy any pictures. It's one thing the cruise lines do to keep the cabin price down.

Archived