Wedding Dress Carry-On on SW??

jnj0292

We are leaving for our cruise wedding in three weeks and I am nervous about transporting our dress and suit. On other major airlines, (if you ask really nice) they have a place to hang such items. I am only guessing on this one, but I doubt that SW has such an option or would even be so kind....

Therefore, do any of you have good tips for carrying on such important items??

We are getting married embarkation day (before the ship sets sail) and will not have time to have them pressed before the ceremony.:confused:

(Someone has already asked this on the wedding/honeymoon thread and has not had any responses. I figured that I would try my luck over here - Thanks!!)

We are leaving for our cruise wedding in three weeks and I am nervous about transporting our dress and suit. On other major airlines, (if you ask really nice) they have a place to hang such items. I am only guessing on this one, but I doubt that SW has such an option or would even be so kind....

Therefore, do any of you have good tips for carrying on such important items??

We are getting married embarkation day (before the ship sets sail) and will not have time to have them pressed before the ceremony.:confused:

(Someone has already asked this on the wedding/honeymoon thread and has not had any responses. I figured that I would try my luck over here - Thanks!!)

Best advice I can offer is buy a VERY good rolling garment bag on Ebay. Then check the bag. Something like this: (this one is new and almost full priced) http://cgi.ebay.com/Hartmann-Intensity-41-Mobile-Traveler-Bag-Luggage-NEW_W0QQitemZ300042391751QQihZ020Q

They are not cheap. They also come in 41" (suit size) and 50" (long dress size). Tumi makes one, there may be some other brands that are less expensive. Check eBags for similar.

Pack your dress and suit in either dry cleaner bags or the bags the suit and dress came in. Pack other clothes in there so things don't move around. I can make do with 2 of these bags + carryons for a 2 week cruise (including 3/4 formal gowns). Hardly any wrinkles.

You will NOT be able to lay your gown and suit out flat in the overhead without someone either moving your gown or placing their luggage on top of it. And I would doubt that the small closet at the front of Southwest planes would have room, after the FA's put their own luggage in it. I wouldn't take the chance of having to fold up the bag in the overhead.

Congrats and good luck.

My wife had to transport her wedding dress in a like manner since we were getting married out-of-town.

We had no problem what-so-ever in transporting her wedding dress via plane. We were flying a regional jet and had no problem having it hung in the small closet so it would hang during the flight. I'd imagine you would have the same options on Southwest. Just get to the gate area a bit earlier, talk to the gate crew about your need and they should be able to help out.

Southwest is very customer focused, I'm sure they'll help you out in some way about this since it's not the first time they've transported a wedding dress on board.

My wife had to transport her wedding dress in a like manner since we were getting married out-of-town.

We had no problem what-so-ever in transporting her wedding dress via plane. We were flying a regional jet and had no problem having it hung in the small closet so it would hang during the flight. I'd imagine you would have the same options on Southwest. Just get to the gate area a bit earlier, talk to the gate crew about your need and they should be able to help out.

Southwest is very customer focused, I'm sure they'll help you out in some way about this since it's not the first time they've transported a wedding dress on board.

On this one, I will disagree. The closet in the front of SW planes is VERY small and the FA's/Captain's luggage take up most of the closet. I have seen them stuff car seats in there and the FA's were complaining loudly (PHX/LAX three weeks ago) . They had to stick their luggage in the galley and they were not happy. And it truly becomes a safety concern with "loose" luggage.

I personally wouldn't take the chance. You don't want your wedding pictures to look horrible. Even though SW is very customer focused, I sure wouldn't wait until you got to the gate to address the problem. You may be VERY unhappy with the solution. Any other airline has big enough closets (most have 2), even the RJ's. Not SW.

I was unclear from your post. Are you flying in the morning the ship sails? If so, very unwise, IMHO. You will see numerous posts on this subject if you search. If you are going in the day before, why don't you have the dress and suit, etc., shipped in advance to the hotel and arrange to have them pressed and held for you? As an alternative, maybe you could find the name of a local dry cleaners, and have the clothing shipped directly to the cleaners, and either pick up en route to the hotel, or have delivered to the hotel. You want your day to be special, and I would think a little advance prep will soothe your nerves on this one. Congratulations and bon voyage!

I got married in Hawaii and flew from JFK with my dress on United. They couldn't have been more accomodating, it hung in a closet by itself the entire trip. They also gave us a bottle of champage. It was a great trip.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and suggestions.

By the way, I am flying in one day prior to embarkation (hotmike98) - I know better than that. I am not that much of a gambler!! ;)

I did just receive a nice garment bag at my bridal shower and I guess that it will not hurt to use dry cleaner bags in conjunction with it.

I have not made any final decisions yet, but before I do I will be sure to call SW direclty to see what they have to say.

Thanks, again!

To any newbies - keep the suggestions coming!:)

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I got married in Disney World 3 years ago. I bought my dress here in NY and had it shipped to a local wedding dress co. near Disney. The day of the wedding they brought the dress to Disney and steamed it right there. It worked out perfectly. I don't remember what it cost but it was not expensive.

Just a suggestion maybe your wedding dress place can connect to one near where you are getting married and arrange the same thing we did.

Archived