Freestyling with NCL vs. Traditional with RCI

ellinger

Hey all,

I've done a little research already, but if anyone here with more experience wants to put their two cents in, I'm more than willing to accept it. :-)

Anyway, I'm planning a trip for myself and a friend, sailing on 12/31/06. I've narrowed it down to a few ships, and pretty much had my sights on NCL's Jewel, since their freestyle cruising sounded most appealing (we liked the idea of not having to do the traditional sit-down at dinner each day with strangers, plus there are much more dining choices on NCL). However, I've previously sailed with RCI twice before, and I've always wanted to go on one of their newer big ships, so I also took note of the Mariner. The current price difference between the two is less than 100 dollars (NCL just raised their's today!), so now I'm really confused as to which one to pick!

Anyone have any comments or suggestions? Is the only advantage of freestyle the dining? Or is it just more flexible in general? (We're both guys in our mid-twenties, if that should be a determining factor in which ship is better.) :-P

Thanks!

Having only sailed RCCL and not personally wanting to sail NCL because freestyle cruising doesn't appeal to me, I say try out the Jewel. You said you've been wanting to try out freestyle cruising and the Jewel is currently the newest ship in the NCL fleet. Plus I think the Jewel has a really nice itinerary for the Dec. 31st cruise. You can always try out one of the Voyager class or Freedom class ships the next time - on the same itinerary the Mariner is offering since that is RCCL's standard Western Caribbean itinerary.

Is the only advantage of freestyle the dining?

No, dining is only part of the Freestyle difference. The other major difference is the resort casual dress code. Any formal nights are totally optional. Based on my 6 Freestyle cruises, I would estimate that 25-33% of the pax dress up. If you're not a fan of dressing up on traditional cruises, this might be a factor for you.

When I think of freestyle I think of more than just open dining, I think of the dress code and options, the ability to stay in the cabin on disembarkation day until you are called to exit the ship, the choice of several restaurants, some with extra charges, but much less than other lines and the chance to meet more people because of freestyle dining.

We do not choose our cruises strictly because of one form or dining over another, but it does play a part. We look at itinerary, price and other elements but always will lean toward freestyle when we can.

NMNita

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I think I should stick with NCL for now, even if RCI does seem like a better deal.

Plus if I'm going to go for a big ship, I might as well go for the biggest of them all, RCI's Freedom-class ones. But that will be a trip for another time. :-P

Just spoke to the TA. I think I'm going to switch over to RCI. I can get a much better room and placement and it costs pretty much the same.

Oh well, I guess I'll try freestyle next time then. :-P

Either way you're settling one of your desires. Definitely be happ;y about the better room for the same cost. You'll still be having fun with your buds on a cruise.

Either way you're settling one of your desires. Definitely be happ;y about the better room for the same cost. You'll still be having fun with your buds on a cruise.

The most important thing is the best cabin for the best price. Sounds like you did the right thing. Either would have been fine as both will have active night life for singles. Have a great time: as you said, you can try NCL and freestyle some other time.

NMNita

Archived