Train from Seaward to Anchorage

SPRAGUS

Any suggestions on taking the train from Seaward to Anchorage? I understand the ship docks rather early and our flight out of Anchorage is at 10pm. How long a train ride is it? What else should we try to schedule and where? Suggestions please, this is our 18th cruise but our first to Alaska and only our second off the west coast. Jan 2006 we sailed LA to Hawaii and found the Pacific to be very rough. What can we expect on our sailing into Seaward in early September 2007?

For clairfication it is Seward. You can only consider the cruise contracted train that leaves early morning. There is a one way car rental with Hertz, that would be my first suggestion, and getting on an early Kenai fjords boat tour. You need to allow at least 3 hours for the drive to Anchorage, and a 2 hour window at the airport, so leaving by 5pm. This would make the best use of your short time.

You most certainly can encounter rough sailing in Alaska. You are asking a question that can't be answered. :) Just be prepared for a wide range of weather and sailing conditions. Sept has the potential for the worse weather of the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, ARRTrain! We just found out that Regent is no longer using the train for transfers (and we prefer the train to a coach). Trying to figure out if we can book it indepedently. Looks like no.

The Alaska Railroad train that leaves at 6pm looks great! Wish we would make a day of it in Seward and then take that, but we'd have to overnight in Anchorage.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks, ARRTrain! We just found out that Regent is no longer using the train for transfers (and we prefer the train to a coach). Trying to figure out if we can book it indepedently. Looks like no.

The Alaska Railroad train that leaves at 6pm looks great! Wish we would make a day of it in Seward and then take that, but we'd have to overnight in Anchorage.

Thanks for your help!

Is there a reason you can not overnight in Anchorage??- Seward is a TOP Alaska destination with excellent touring opportunities that are "must dos". Highlight- Kenai fjords boat tours- fits perfectly with the 6pm train departure for a wonderful day in Seward.

BQ: We're weighing the pros and cons of an overnight. We're travelling with our daughter, age 9 at travel time, and thinking it just might be better to overnight than take a late-night flight home and try to get her to sleep on the plane. Also, my mother will be travelling with us (three generations), so an overnight might be the answer. Any ideas for hotels in Anchorage? Would you recommend booking with Alaska Railroad for the combination tour/train?

Thanks!

DBA

Seward is a TOP Alaska destination with excellent touring opportunities that are "must dos". Highlight- Kenai fjords boat tours-

Is there any way to go from Whittier (after cruise) to Seward and back to Anchorage in time for a 9:00 pm evening flight? I suspect the most "reasonable" plan is to do Alaska Leopard from Whittier to Anchorage, and then spend afternoon in Anchorage and surrounding area. BUT I really, really would like to see a puffin . . .

Is there any way to go from Whittier (after cruise) to Seward and back to Anchorage in time for a 9:00 pm evening flight? I suspect the most "reasonable" plan is to do Alaska Leopard from Whittier to Anchorage, and then spend afternoon in Anchorage and surrounding area. BUT I really, really would like to see a puffin . . .

Sorry, no. With the need to be at the airport around 7pm, you don't have time. Are you going to Sitka?? An accessable puffin rookery there via boat tours to St. Lazaria Island. That is the only accessable rookery on the Inside Passage for cruise ship passengers. I have seen puffins in Glacier Bay, but you have to be right on them with a good pair of binoculars- at least 10 power. Most people don't see them as they become a "spect" when you try and give "directions" and they become a blur.

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. We'll be going just about everywhere but Sitka (out of Vancouver to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord and then Anchorage). :D I will continue to research "puffin sightings" on the boards.

Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. We'll be going just about everywhere but Sitka (out of Vancouver to Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, College Fjord and then Anchorage). :D I will continue to research "puffin sightings" on the boards.

Sorry, but your likely only possible chance is Glacier Bay and they are difficult to spot. You need to be out on deck at the entry with a good pair of binoculars at least 10 power. I've seen them several times, but as I have already mentioned, from a cruise ship, you are too far away. They skim the water and appear as spects. NO way to predict what side either. :) If you have an open lido on your ship, that may be the lowest point to consider.

Sorry, but your likely only possible chance is Glacier Bay and they are difficult to spot.

Thanks! I will be glued to the deck every morning the ship is moving as recommended, but particularly at Glacier Bay. What about the possibility of puffins at Tracy Arm? We are leaning towards an excursion there. Our cruise is first week of September. (I think I need to move to a puffin thread?:confused: Sorry--new to "boards.")

Thanks! I will be glued to the deck every morning the ship is moving as recommended, but particularly at Glacier Bay. What about the possibility of puffins at Tracy Arm? We are leaning towards an excursion there. Our cruise is first week of September. (I think I need to move to a puffin thread?:confused: Sorry--new to "boards.")

Another negative- your timing, they will be even more scarce as they are heading back out to sea. They are gone by mid Sept.

Archived