Arrival Gift for Cabin Steward?

mt_goodrich

I would suggest looking through the eight pages of this thread. The "something symbolic" won't mean anything to most of the workers.

But what about the I it does mean something to? I don't understand why anyone cares what anyone else gives the cruise employees- especially if the passenger it giving cash AND something else.

• Like 1

But what about the I it does mean something to? I don't understand why anyone cares what anyone else gives the cruise employees- especially if the passenger it giving cash AND something else.

Let me try to help you understand. How on earth do you feel you will be the "the lucky one" to find the one and only room steward that wants a present when he first meets you? Not only is he/she "the one and only" BUT you have miraculously found the perfect gift for said person to keep in his minuscule crew quarters.

You are at work. Your boss walks up to you and hands you the perfect gift. He got it on vacation in Las Vegas. He loved it because it reminded him of his trip. He might even give you a box of chocolates. OR, he can hand you cash for all your hard work this past month. It doesn't matter that you hate Las Vegas and are diabetic and you are past due on your bills. He is happier than crap and wonders why anyone would care how he paid you for doing your job.

You are at work. Your boss walks up to you and hands you the perfect gift. He got it on vacation in Las Vegas. He loved it because it reminded him of his trip. He might even give you a box of chocolates. OR, he can hand you cash for all your hard work this past month. QUOTE]

Or he can do both. Are you really going to be pissy because you got the chocolate and the cash? Seriously? I would guess you'd look like you were sucking on a lemon no matter what somebody gave you.

I would suggest looking through the eight pages of this thread. The "something symbolic" won't mean anything to most of the workers.

Oh- I did read through the 8 pages. If they were eight pages worth of opinions of the workers whose opinions would actually be relevant- then hey maybe I would keep my pralines to myself. But they are not the worker's opinions. They are the opinions of people who have spent as much time working on a cruise ship as I have.

As for tight quarters- really??? Even on a Navy ship in shared berthing I wouldn't have cussed somebody out for sending a care package.

• Like 1

Oh- I did read through the 8 pages. If they were eight pages worth of opinions of the workers whose opinions would actually be relevant- then hey maybe I would keep my pralines to myself. But they are not the worker's opinions. They are the opinions of people who have spent as much time working on a cruise ship as I have.

As for tight quarters- really??? Even on a Navy ship in shared berthing I wouldn't have cussed somebody out for sending a care package.

Pretty good chance that someone sending a care package to a person in the Navy actually knows what that person would want.

On a b2b, I got off the ship for a bit and several of the workers were waiting for a cab. I asked them where they were going and they said Walmart to buy laundry soap. Who would think to buy them soap? Probably no one. The crew can decide what they want or need with money, not some candy, cookies, pens, etc., etc.

Why is there a need to give something in addition to cash? Just add the expense of that something extra to the cash.

Pretty good chance that someone sending a care package to a person in the Navy actually knows what that person would want.

On a b2b, I got off the ship for a bit and several of the workers were waiting for a cab. I asked them where they were going and they said Walmart to buy laundry soap. Who would think to buy them soap? Probably no one. The crew can decide what they want or need with money, not some candy, cookies, pens, etc., etc.

Why is there a need to give something in addition to cash? Just add the expense of that something extra to the cash.

That is what a person who has never sent a care package to a stranger would think. We send packages to folks we don't personally know in theater regularly. We have had no complaints.

We have also discussed this issue with crew members enjoying port time. And guess what? They were human and appreciated human kindness in any form.

• Like 1