Arrival Gift for Cabin Steward?

mt_goodrich

Well, let's keep things in perspective here. If my boss gave me a $10 bonus, I would quit, which is why I said $100. However, as I said, a cookie-gift of 2% of my bonus seems appropriate. What you're suggesting is closer to 5% - 10% of what you typically tip the cabin steward. That seems to me to be a bit high -- and that consequently the steward would probably prefer more cash and less gift.

Snowflakejen, there are a lot of cruisers that buy gifts for their cabin attendants even when it's not Christmas.:) It is a very controversial subject here on the boards because many CCers think it is a waste.:eek: Others think it is a very nice thoughtful idea.:D It's really up to you. Just do what you think is best and enjoy your cruise!:D

• 10 years later...

I have been chatting with a YouTuber who works on cruise ships as part of the crew, and she says that crew members love gifts. They are not fussy, and in general do not care whether food is homemade or store bought. I have paid the suggested tip for my upcoming cruise, so my cabin steward will receive that. Additionally, I will be baking him or her some homemade cookies. During the cruise, I plan on finding out what his or her favorite store bought treat is, and getting that as well as a gift for the end of the trip. In addition, if service is superb, I might wrap a little more cash in the gift as well.

All crew members generally do multiple jobs and work 80-90 hours a week. Everyone likes to know they are appreciated. If you like to do that with extra cash, wonderful. But according to the crew member I exchanged messages with, small gifts are always appreciated, especially food.

I have been chatting with a YouTuber who works on cruise ships as part of the crew, and she says that crew members love gifts. They are not fussy, and in general do not care whether food is homemade or store bought. I have paid the suggested tip for my upcoming cruise, so my cabin steward will receive that. Additionally, I will be baking him or her some homemade cookies. During the cruise, I plan on finding out what his or her favorite store bought treat is, and getting that as well as a gift for the end of the trip. In addition, if service is superb, I might wrap a little more cash in the gift as well.

All crew members generally do multiple jobs and work 80-90 hours a week. Everyone likes to know they are appreciated. If you like to do that with extra cash, wonderful. But according to the crew member I exchanged messages with, small gifts are always appreciated, especially food.

You may not be allowed to bring homemade food onboard, depending on the line and the port. Generally, USPH requirements do not allow unsealed, non-factory foods to be brought onboard. Enforcement is inconsistent. While the crew are allowed to have factory sealed foods in their cabins, again, they may get away with it between cabin inspections, homemade food, or food from the mess halls is not allowed, for pest control reasons.

I have been chatting with a YouTuber who works on cruise ships as part of the crew, and she says that crew members love gifts.

11 year old thread bumped. That's a record here. :confused:

And no. Just no. They do not love gifts. They do not have the room for them. The ONLY thing they want is cash.

My mother is a seasoned cruiser, with over 20 under her belt.

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise this coming January 2005.

One piece of advice my mother gave (along with many other things) is to bring a simple gift of cookies in a tin to give to your cabin steward when you arrive.

Mom makes the best chocolate chip cookies and she will pack a tin full of them. She said she gives it to the cabin steward when they first meet and she swears that the service is second to none after that.

Does anyone else do anything like this?

she is wasting her time. I have NEVER 'bribed' a cabin steward( or anyone) and have yet to get anything BUT the best/top notch service.

the fact is, the cabin steward is too polite to tell her he's allergic, or doesn't like Chocolate chip cookies,or doesn't eat sweets or any number of things that means those cookies are tossed in the trash 5 minutes after she gives them away.

I have been chatting with a YouTuber who works on cruise ships as part of the crew, and she says that crew members love gifts... .

ZOMBIE ALERT! THIS THEAD IS 11 YEARS OLD!!!

Yes, somebody on youtube, who says she works on a ship, is the absolute authority on this issue. :rolleyes:

We've had many threads here regarding gifts and stuff for crew members. What you are saying contradicts everything mentioned in the last 11 years since this thread was started. Crew members work for cash. They have no room for "stuff". When they end their contract period they have to take all of their belongings with them - it's not stored on board until their next gig.

Edited by BlueRiband

ZOMBIE ALERT! THIS THEAD IS 11 YEARS OLD!!!

Yes, somebody on youtube, who says she works on a ship, is the absolute authority on this issue. :rolleyes:... We've had many threads here regarding gifts and stuff for crew members...

Thank you! Exactly. You made me LOL. You know when people type that, well I actually did laugh out loud. :D

Watch how many more will reply thinking OP is going on their cruise soon... hilarious!

The Walking Posters!:rolleyes:

It's amazing that no matter how many times people will say the same things (tiny shared cabins, allergies, etc), people will still insist that it's a must to bake homemade treats right before your cruise and gift them to someone you've never met before. Just like those who insist that they need to bring walkie talkies, etc.

We don't know what allergies, tastes, medical conditions etc the stewards might have. I don't think gifts of food are the best idea. I wouldn't eat any food given to me by strangers especially that wasn't at least factory wrapped. In this crazy world, who needs to look for that sort of trouble?!

We don't know what allergies, tastes, medical conditions etc the stewards might have. I don't think gifts of food are the best idea. I wouldn't eat any food given to me by strangers especially that wasn't at least factory wrapped. In this crazy world, who needs to look for that sort of trouble?!

Also, please keep your non-retail packaged foods out of agriculturally sensitive places like California and Hawaii.

For what its worth, we just cruised on Liberty of the Seas last November. We gave our room steward $20.00 at the beginning of our cruise and another $20.00 at the end of the cruise. While gifts of cookies, T shirts may be nice, I think the universal language of cash is best. Just my opinion

Thank you! Exactly. You made me LOL. You know when people type that, well I actually did laugh out loud. :D

Watch how many more will reply thinking OP is going on their cruise soon... hilarious!

Just because the thread is old does it mean no one asks such a question anymore? Old does not always mean out of date or not pertinent.

I guess it depends on the gift. I am one for all about cash but took girl scout cookies with us last week. .gave a box to anyone who made my grand daughters cruise special. These cookies went over well, there was ni sharing. These people who got the cookies were greedy and were keeping them all

An 11 year old thread being resurrected must be a record.

On the HAL section we have had some 8 and 9 year old threads brought up.

Even more amazing, there's been more recent threads on this very same subject. Even within the last few months.

Repeating what others have said: it's a sweet idea, but not necessarily a good one, given that some people have food allergies (with me, I have to be careful with cross contamination when it comes to shellfish, and with others, nuts, soy, etc.). And that keychain from your college may be meaningless to a crew member who doesn't have the use for them and may not be up on US football teams.

We don't pre-tip, we try to be pleasant to the crew members, and we'll try to reward with $ (on top of auto-grats) and consummate host cards (or whatever the cruise line will call a "you made a difference" card on your favorite line).

Giving someone a tip before they've given a service is nothing more than a bribe.

Save your extra cash until the end of the cruise when they've actually done something tip worthy.

And leave your cookies at home. There's dessert all over the dang ship, including the crew dining hall.

• 2 weeks later...
I plan on giving a small gift just because I always do that sort of thing. When traveling, I make a small gift bag with a Nebraska T-Shirt and a couple of other small Nebraska things.

Maybe it's a NE thing?

A cabin steward from Indonesia really wants a Nebraska T-shirt. Then you will have to explain to him where Nebraska is. Do you think that he cares?

Seriously, the only gifts they want have pictures of US presidents on them. Also, why would you give them anything at the start of the cruise? It is like tipping for a restaurant meal before the meal is served.

Treat the cruise ship staff w respect. Do not make unreasonable demands on them. Leave the suggested tip on. Add extra at the end of the cruise if they have earned it. Also, realize that they are not your friends and will forget about you when the next set of passengers enters your cabin.

DON

I have never tipped the staff before my cruise and service to me has been above what is expected.

It does make me wonder- if a lot of people gave them food each cruise wouldnt they be as big as houses...lol

I take their pictures during the week with a disposable camera then get the camera developed. I give each person their prints along with my thank you card and tips. They can send their picture to their family showing them hard at work.

I just give a little extra at the start and go from there.