Personal Laptop or Internet Cafe??

joey1

We will be on the Valor Dec 3. I am wondering if it is worth it to bring our own laptop or just use the internet cafe on board. Is there a price difference? I will only be using it to send e-mails checking in with kids.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

JOey

We will be on the Valor Dec 3. I am wondering if it is worth it to bring our own laptop or just use the internet cafe on board. Is there a price difference? I will only be using it to send e-mails checking in with kids.

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

JOey

That's up to you.... for just email, I would use the cafe... there is no price difference.

Relatively expensive on board and moves at the speed of smell, which is your only advantage of having a laptop. You can download all e-mail, disconnect, compose new ones and do replies, then only connect for the transmission time.

Relatively expensive on board and moves at the speed of smell, which is your only advantage of having a laptop. You can download all e-mail, disconnect, compose new ones and do replies, then only connect for the transmission time.

I agree. I take my laptop to download pictures daily from my digital, and to compose my e-mails. Once a day I take my laptop somewhere quiet (with a good connection) and send my mails. It saves my minutes (I buy one of the packages the Internet Cafe offers) and everyone at home enjoys the updates.

It won't fit in the safe, and I usually leave mine on the desk. I am trustworthy by nature, and our steward is made aware and keeps an eye on it for us when the rooms are being cleaned. I have read of laptops being stolen, but there is really no where to hide one. (unless you took out the bottom drawer of the dresser and tried to hide it there) Not sure about other storage options, but this is a good place to find out!

If you are going to be paranoid about it being stolen, don't take it. I've never had a problem, it sits out on the desk... I don't think an employee is going to risk their great job, for a laptop. Also, I would never go anywhere with my laptop without a backup in place, and insurance. Laptops are replaceable, data is another story.

Thanks for the info. I'm not as worried about the cabin steward as I am about an open door. You just never know these days, after reading here that people have had items like cameras taken from them while lounging around the pool, I'd rather play it safe than be as trusting as I used to be.

Definitely won't fit in safe, another option is to place it in your luggage, locked and stored under the bed, you can also get a cable lock and ususally secure it to the desk.

I definitely fear the guests as thieves way more than the staff... we have all heard the story how fast someone is willing to remove tips if the water does not bow properly or some other excuse... The things that go missing by the pool are not hauled off by a staff member.

I bought a cable lock for mine since I took it on our last cruise but I never used it. I didn't find a convenient place to lock it to. I just stored it back in the case and placed it under the bed as MrDood suggested. I didn't leave it out all of the time just because it took up too much space.

Archived