1st Timer In New Orleans & Cruiser Needs Lots Of Help

scanner219

I will be sailing out of New Orleans on Feb.5 on Carnival's Fantasy. I plan to fly into town Feb.2. Have the Riverfont Hotel booked already thru Harrahs for these 3 days. What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? Is the hotel or Harrahs close to any tourist attractions? What is the best way to get to the pier from the hotel? What time should I get to the pier? Thanks

They have an Airport Shuttle that will get you there (you will see stands at the airport) but you can also take a taxi.

Pretty good location - You will be in the middle of everything. Harrahs is right down the street and on the other side is the start of downtown and the french quarter. The Aquarium of the Americas is also right there and nearby is the National WWII museum which is really worth seeing if you have an interest. I bet you can find a map on the CVB web site that would help you get your bearings.

I would suggest taking a taxi to the pier. It's not far and with baggage it would be worth the couple of bucks.

I hope that helps you a bit.

I will be sailing out of New Orleans on Feb.5 on Carnival's Fantasy. I plan to fly into town Feb.2. Have the Riverfont Hotel booked already thru Harrahs for these 3 days. What is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel? Is the hotel or Harrahs close to any tourist attractions? What is the best way to get to the pier from the hotel? What time should I get to the pier? Thanks

From the airport to the hotel you can take a cab, the airport shuttle or a limo. If there are 2 or more of you the cab fare is about the same as shuttle fare and you don't have to stop at other hotels. If there are 4 or more of you a limo would be about the same as a cab.

The Riverfront Hotel is now owned by Harrah's and is close to the Convention Center, the aquarium, the Rivercenter Mall and Harrah's. It's not as close as some other hotels to the French Quarter, but is within walking distance if you are walkers. The riverside streetcars do travel that far upriver and you could ride them to the riverside of the Quarter.

They may have a shuttle to the pier from the hotel - not sure about this. If not it would kind of depend on the amount of luggage you have. If you have a rolling suitcase I'd walk it - if not I'd take a cab. Not that far, but could get to be if you're carrying a lot of luggage.

Here are some links with info & maps about New Orleans, hope they help & have a great time...:) I know you will have a great time both on your cruise & in New Orleans, it is a great city.

Maps of New Orleans:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/ncl_sun_2006/neworleans/6a.jpg

http://www.neworleansonline.com/assets/pdfs/maps/FQMap.pdf

MardiGras World info:

http://www.mardigrasworld.com/map.html

Airport Transportation from Google:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-34,GGLJ:en&q=NEW+ORLEANS+AIRPORT+TRANSPORTATION

Port of New Orleans info:

http://www.portno.com/

Riverwalk Market Place info:

http://www.riverwalkmarketplace.com/html/riverwalk.htm

Riverfront Streetcar info:

http://www.norta.com/routes/2.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I hope your cruise goes well. Our ship 'Grandeur of the Seas' arrived yesterday

into port. I don't think the Port of New Orleans was ready though. There were only a handful of porters available for the thousands returning. Also there was a long line for the taxi stand that stretched out of the port and down the service street. The taxi lane was blocked by charter buses for some reason and the harbor patrol seemed to be frustrated by the long lines of those waiting for the taxi. We were advised by the few porters to walk across the Julia Street Trolley track and head to the corner of the Convention Center to get a taxi. People were cutting in line to get taxis and this added to the flaring of tempers and frustration of both passengers and harbor police. I hope this situation improves.

I hope your cruise goes well. Our ship 'Grandeur of the Seas' arrived yesterday

into port. I don't think the Port of New Orleans was ready though. There were only a handful of porters available for the thousands returning. Also there was a long line for the taxi stand that stretched out of the port and down the service street. The taxi lane was blocked by charter buses for some reason and the harbor patrol seemed to be frustrated by the long lines of those waiting for the taxi. We were advised by the few porters to walk across the Julia Street Trolley track and head to the corner of the Convention Center to get a taxi. People were cutting in line to get taxis and this added to the flaring of tempers and frustration of both passengers and harbor police. I hope this situation improves.

That can be so frustrating, especially after a relaxing cruise. I would imagine the porter shortage is like everything else in New Orleans...lack of folks returning and lack of places to live (reasonably) for those who are coming back. Hopefully time will help with this problem.

The situation should improve. The first time a new ship arrives at a new cruise terminal is always a little dicey. On that cruise, I doubt anyone was parked at the terminal, so all needed some sort of transportation. The port authority may not have gotten that one right.

On the cruises that depart from New Orleans, probably 50% or more have their own transportation to/from the ship, so shouldn't be so bad next weekend and should only get better with each cruise.

• 1 month later...

I didn't mention before that you'll be there for one of my favorite Mardi Gras parades - Krewe du Vieux. It's a walking parade in the French Quarter and is very satirical and fun. I'll miss it this year 'cause our ship doesn't return until the 4th and it's the night of the 3rd.

Archived