Missed Flight

kidcruisers

As we are very new to flying I was wondering what you would do if you missed your flight home do to a delay that is not within your control. We are flying Air Canada out of FLL on a Sunday in January. We weren't sure if you would be schedualed for a later flight and would you have to pay for the new flights.

As we are very new to flying I was wondering what you would do if you missed your flight home do to a delay that is not within your control. We are flying Air Canada out of FLL on a Sunday in January. We weren't sure if you would be schedualed for a later flight and would you have to pay for the new flights.

Very speculative question, but bottom line is YOU are responsible to make your flight if it operates. Miss it for most any reason and you are subject to the airline's policies that may be for the most part specific. There is always the chance a sympathetic manager might cut you a break, but I wouldn't count on it.

Are your flights booked through Princess or independently? If booked through Princess and the delay is caused by Princess, then you have something to fall back on. But if you miss a fliight booked by you, you are at the mercy of the airlines. Always take a credit card along just in case, you never know when it might be needed. Hope all goes well.

Very speculative question, but bottom line is YOU are responsible to make your flight if it operates. Miss it for most any reason and you are subject to the airline's policies that may be for the most part specific. There is always the chance a sympathetic manager might cut you a break, but I wouldn't count on it.

That is one of the reasons we like to "schedule" pre and post cruise stays if we have a major investment in our own arranged flights. By major investment I mean flying across the Pacifc or Atlantic.... Thus if we are late arriving at port, we just lose part of our post stay or if the flight is delay coming in, same thing. We don't miss the boat.

Plus... it is nice spending extra time in places like Rome, Venice, Sydney......:D

...and it all depends on your ticket....full fare vs advance booking less expensive fares, .....each has a different policy for taking another flight. Check Air Canada's website..they give all of the different policies for different fares.

As others suggest, if you air has been booked via Princess, then their own policies kick into place.

An Actual Example Sep 2006:

We had booked diligently -- 1 pm flight out of FLL. Our transatlantic cruise was 5 hours late. We first called the previous night from the ship (Princess allowed free Satellite call)-- were told by Delta that to reschedule would cost $400 pp. Our ticket cost us $155! But if we were to reschedule 2 hours before the next available flight the penalty would be only $25 pp.

What helped us:

*Original booked time allowed adequate check-in after ship disembark.

*We "informed" Delta that we would not be able to make the booked flight. A no-show would have invalidated the ticket!

*There were many other pax (including some booked by Princess) on that flight.

We ended up paying no penalty -- but this was a special courtesy by Delta.

/Sultan

As the others have said, if you've booked your flights independently, the airline policies kick in. If it's the airline's fault (incoming flights cancelled), then you can probably rebook without penalty. If there is a delay with disembarkation and you miss your flight, how much you pay for the change will depend on whether there's space on the next flight, what the difference in fare would be, etc.

Flying out of FLL for Canada in January, there is always the possibility that the incoming flight for turnaround will be delayed. In that case, it'll be the airline's fault. I would book a flight leaving FLL mid-day at the earliest. Flying in for your cruise, I would definitely plan on arriving the day before, staying overnight and boarding the ship the next day.

Archived