What is this?

Avril

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe no one has been courteous enough to answer you! I'll let you know what I've 'read in the papers'. ResidenSea is a Cruise ship where the Suites are all owned, like Condos. People come and go as they wish, staying on for an extended cruise, or just a segment. It will likely stay in Ports several days so people can explore an area at length. Perhaps 'Google' ResidenSea for further information.

Figures the people with enough money to cruise on it couldn't be bothered explaining it to you.

The cruise line is Residensea, the ship is named The World. You have the option to purchase a timeshare on the ship. You pay yearly maintance fees depending on the size of the condo you purchase. You can in fact live on the ship all year or you can stay on that portion of the cruise that the ship is visiting. The condos have 2 to 3 bedrooms, living, dining and kitchen area. You do your own cooking or you can request a chef to go to your condo and cook for a fee. You pay additional fees to eat in the ships restaurant. There is a small grocery store onboard for you to purchase items. You can offer your condo available as a rental when you are not on board or you can send your friends, clients, employees on it for a vacation or work bonus. Many of the larger condo units are own by large corporations and they use it as a business writeoff for the company. There are smaller cruiseship style staterooms on the ship. Those include the ships restaurant because you do not have a kitchen in room. You can visit the ship at http://www.aboardtheworld.com/defaultpage121bc0.aspx?pageID=136

The ship stays in some ports for extended time frames for their clients to enjoy specific activities. The British Open, Christmas in Rio, Grand Prix in France etc.

• 1 month later...

Watched an excellent show about The World on CTV Travel Channel. One buys a condo with a 50-year lease....and then pays a yearly amount for the maintenance and upkeep. They figure that one needs $5 million to consider being a resident!

They showed all parts of the ship, and I was impressed by the size and decorating of the condos...they were magnificant.

• 4 weeks later...
Watched an excellent show about The World on CTV Travel Channel. One buys a condo with a 50-year lease....and then pays a yearly amount for the maintenance and upkeep. They figure that one needs $5 million to consider being a resident!

They showed all parts of the ship, and I was impressed by the size and decorating of the condos...they were magnificant.

We watched the same show this weekend. I went online and you can do virtual walk-thrus of "apartments" they have for sale. There is also the 2007 and 2008 Itineraries shown for where the ship will be each month. Ah, to be so wealthy.........

• 1 month later...
The cruise line is Residensea, the ship is named The World. You have the option to purchase a timeshare on the ship. You pay yearly maintance fees depending on the size of the condo you purchase. You can in fact live on the ship all year or you can stay on that portion of the cruise that the ship is visiting. The condos have 2 to 3 bedrooms, living, dining and kitchen area. You do your own cooking or you can request a chef to go to your condo and cook for a fee. You pay additional fees to eat in the ships restaurant. There is a small grocery store onboard for you to purchase items. You can offer your condo available as a rental when you are not on board or you can send your friends, clients, employees on it for a vacation or work bonus. Many of the larger condo units are own by large corporations and they use it as a business writeoff for the company. There are smaller cruiseship style staterooms on the ship. Those include the ships restaurant because you do not have a kitchen in room. You can visit the ship at http://www.aboardtheworld.com/defaultpage121bc0.aspx?pageID=136

The ship stays in some ports for extended time frames for their clients to enjoy specific activities. The British Open, Christmas in Rio, Grand Prix in France etc.

OK, this ship is NOT a 'cruise ship', she is a floating condo if you like. The ship is called The World and it is actually owned now by the residents! They took over the ship a couple of years ago. The prices start at $800,000 for a one bedroom no balcony apartment and go up to 8 million for a 4 bedroom bespoke designed super suite.

This is not something the average person owns. The people who live onboard are multi millionaires, such as sheiks etc.

The suites have kitchens yes, however they can also eat in the restaurant without charge, however there are speciality restaurants they can eat in for a charge. They can also have crew members cook and serve meals in their suites if they have guests etc.

The grocery store onboard has the best produce from around the world flown in and also collected when in port. They also have a jewlery onboard and prices start at $10,000!

This is state of the art top end sailing. Some of te residents stay onboard year round but most join it whenever they can, sometimes I would meet my sister's ship and she would tell me there were only 40 residents onboard at that time. I know this because I have been onboard more than once. My sister used to run the gym onboard and I also work on ships and used to meet up with here on our travels around the world.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks, for your post, that was very interesting. I checked our the website quite some time ago. I think it was when someone posted who had applied for a job. Plus I remember reading about the World when it was being introduced. Unfortunately, I'm not in the same league as these folks.

How did (you did use past tense, I believe) your sister like working on the World. I imagine she has "stories" and then some.

Regards,

Shannon

Hi All,

Thanks, for your post, that was very interesting. I checked our the website quite some time ago. I think it was when someone posted who had applied for a job. Plus I remember reading about the World when it was being introduced. Unfortunately, I'm not in the same league as these folks.

How did (you did use past tense, I believe) your sister like working on the World. I imagine she has "stories" and then some.

Regards,

Shannon

Yes she had some great storiues when she came home. Partying with members of the Monaco Royal family, sailing for five days up the Amazon, she went all over the world. And what was most frustrating to me as a avid photographer, she didn't have a camera and has no pictures to show for it!

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

im a retire d Teamster..and as i watch d that show on the

travel channel i could nt begin to think how i would behave

onboard if i ever had the chance..:confused:

it certainly is a big spin from my normal cruising experince of

rushing to port to embark, feast and party..then rushing home

to my 2 loving pet s:o

DAMN ..i ve got a warp d mind :(

• 8 months later...

When ResidenSea first started selling the idea, prices were MUCH MUCH lower than they are now! It enjoyed the Real estate boom like so many other places! I believe SilverSea was the selling agent at that time..

Host Dan

PS Had a chance to buy a studio pre-construction..and didn't.... :(

When ResidenSea first started selling the idea, prices were MUCH MUCH lower than they are now! It enjoyed the Real estate boom like so many other places! I believe SilverSea was the selling agent at that time..

Host Dan

PS Had a chance to buy a studio pre-construction..and didn't.... :(

Ah,The story of your life Dan. :)

• 1 year later...

Archived