Calling Home

I am going on the 7/25 sailing on AOS to Aruba, Curacel, St. Maarten and St. Thomas. Anyone know if my cell phone will work? Should I buy a pre-paid international calling card? If so, which one? Any help would be appreciated. We are leaving two young ones home with grandma and want to ensure we can call home every day we are in port.

It is just easier and cheaper to just buy a phone card on the island and use a pay phone to call home. My cell phone worked in San Juan and St. Thomas, but the fee was outrageous. The next time I sailed, I stuck with the phone card on each island and could talk for 30 min for $10.00.

Be careful of the phonecards!! I was in the VI in 06/04 and COULD NOT find a phone close to the port that would except phone cards!!!!! :mad: I had purchased one for the intended use of calling home but nearly ALL the phones would NOT allow the use of " PRE PAID PHONE CARDS ". It drove me nuts, I was allowed to use it in Puerto Rico, but not the other islands. The only payment accepted were credit cards?? :mad: I was not about to do that, I ended up calling "COLLECT" from Nassua, because I got FED UP!!:eek: :(

In Aruba there are phones located in the terminal building right off the ship that charge $.99 a minute to the US. We use them everytime we are in Aruba. They will set the phone and you pay after your call. We have always had luck there. Never were overcharged either.

Hope this helps.

Cindy ;)

I have Cingular service. I had no problems in San Juan and St. Thomas, but saw Cingluar Extended in Curacao (which Cingular said would cost more $$) so I shut the phone off. I had no service in Aruba or St. Maarten.

I agree that you should check with your service provider. I remember seeing signs for phones in Aruba. You can probably find some near the ship in Curacao and St. Maarten. I don't remember as I wasn't looking.

Keep in mind that you cannot purchase a phone card in the US with the intent on using the phone card on the islands.....yes Puerto Rico and St Thomas will accept the US purchased phone cards because they are considered part of US territory. When I suggested purchasing a phone card to use, I meant purchase the phone card on the island you are visiting and calling from. I've been to Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, St Marten....and I purchased phone cards on every island to use to phone home before reboarding the ship. I never had a problem.

Archived