To MartyAP Vatican Guide. Drivers in Rome

Marty and anyone else who has hired a private guide for the Vatican lately...I am hoping since you just came back you will have current info. What was the benefit of having a private guide ? Did you get in quicker? BTW, what time of day did you go ? Were you able to talk in the Sistine Chapel ? I read somewhere that you weren't allowed to talk in there. Are there head sets for rent in case you don't have a private guide ? Would you do it that way again ?

Since the Vatican tour is recommended for the afternoon what does anyone here recommend for the morning in Rome? I don't know what is nearby and don't want to waste time driving from one end of the city to the other if avoidable. We will be in Rome two full days.

Slightly off subject but what can we expect to pay for lunches and maybe a soda or a glass of wine there? We are TRYING to make up a budget. I know, good luck with that !! :p

I really need your help and suggestions. I've never been to Rome before and want to make the most of every minute ! Thanks, MG

Hi,

We were there two weeks ago off the Brilliance of the Seas. Since we only had a day in Rome we decided on a private guide. Stefano from Rome Cabs was excellent. We got a full tour of Rome....Colloseum, Forum, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain plus lunch at a local trattoria...it was not very expensive. Pizza and pasta were excellent. House wine is alway good and not very expensive.

We were in Rome on a Friday in November and I have since learned that the Vatican is only open until 1:00 pm. Stefano had arranged for a separate guide. She waited on line and when we arrived at 11:00 Stefano led us to the front where the guide had already purchased tickets. There were 8 of us and the guide charged 100e for two hours so at 25e per couple it was a bargain. Otherwise...we would not have gotten in as the normal line was a 2+ hour waiting time.Very few on our cruise were able to get into the Sistine Chapel.

The guide first led us to a huge courtyard where there were about twenty stations set up with posters depicting the Sistine Chapel Art. She spent about twenty minutes explaining everything as there is no talking in the actual chapel. This put everything into perspective so we knew what we were looking at when we entered. She also guided us through the museum and St. Peters and was very helpful in her commentary. Both are amazing!

Again....as we only had one day this worked out. Since you have two days you could easily do it on your own. Check the Rome Forum section on http://www.tripadsvisor.com. Also get a copy of Rick Steve's Italy Guide from the library. I believe you can get tickets in advance...Rick Steves lists everything. Have fun. Ciao!

Marty

Archived