Grand Cayman : Compiled info : beaches, transport, snorkling, interesting facts, etc

WarmWaters

Anyone been snorkeling at Eden Rock lately?

Most of the info in the original sticky is "older" so wondering with this economy how up to date all the places mentioned are.

We will be in GC in Jan. and thinking of snorkeling at Eden Rock then heading back to the ship,

We have done the Sting Ray City thing and we would just like to enjoy some time in the water with some good snorkeling. I have found it difficult to find any excursions that do reef snorkeling only without Sting Ray City.

Thanks.

Susan

Momonthego:

I came across Moby Dick tours through a review on tripadvisor.com, and per their website....Can my Grandfather and infant enjoy your tour? Are their age limits?

No age limits. 9 weeks to 90 years, we have safely entertained them all. You will see from the pictures in the Gallery all ages have a "whale of a time.".... they seem very reasonable and professional....http://www.mobydicktours.com/Stingray-City/Stingray-City.html

A very late thank you! We had a great time with the stingrays and both my DDs loved the experience at Stingray City. In fact, I think we will do it again Thanksgiving cruise 2012.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
great list of information - you forgot the swim with the dolphin park "dolphin cove" and they give a complementary trip to either sting ray city or the turtle farm...Peter

I was hoping to find information on this thread about Dolphin Cove and was disappointed that kind of detail was missing? Anyone care to share their experience there?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back from Grand cayman and wanted to share a new company that we found called JJ Divers.. we did a discover or beginners scuba dive. my wife and myself are not certified and it only cost $75 all the scuba gear included !!! I think they have a web site at jjdivers.com ... it waqs amazing !!! we saw sting rays and turtles and so many different fish that our guild/instuctor taught us about !! by far the best !!

My wife even left a review on trip advisor... ill copy and paste it cause after our trip i need more time on my couch lol

I couldn't have asked for a better experience for knocking scuba diving off my bucket list! It's been a dream of mine for many years and something I was saving for the perfect place (and great company, of course). I am frightened by large bodies of water and its' occupants, so needless to say, I was very nervous about "heading out to sea" without a boat, life jacket...... and being able to breathe normally (lol). However, Jacob took my hesitations to heart and took his time in the pool with us, coaching and reassuring us every step of the way. Without his help, I would have never been truly ready to go and explore the underwater treasures Grand Cayman has in store (and he surely knows his way around!) The dive was totally customized to our lack of experience but desire to see really cool things. I actually felt so comfortable and so relaxed under the surface that I wanted to go right back down once the dive was over. JJ practically takes you in as family, and the stories alone are worth the acquaintance. This dive was definitely the highlight of my trip (beating out jet-skiing, para-sailing, snorkeling, swimming with the dolphins and the Jolly-Roger booze cruise lol). I hope to go back and dive with JJ sometime soon!

Hi!

This will be our first time in GC and wanted to parasail with our family of 3. First off our daughter is 5 1/2...I'm assuming they will let her go up with us? We've never done it before =|

We'll be arriving on the Carnival Magic and am really wanting to book through an independent company. I'm just a little hesitant because we're relatively new to cruising...I think it's time I quit dumping all my money though! Is this something you set up before hand or when you get there? I've heard there are boats on the beach...(and how do you even get to the beach? taxis, catamarans?? since the ship is anchored out in the water...sorry off topic, I know)

I'm interested in a very reputable company that you can trust regularly inspects harnesses and lines and such...the thought of having my entire family 400 feet in the air gives me a little heartburn, but overall I think it would be such an incredible experience!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated :D

• 4 weeks later...

I know there are a gazillion tour operators to StingRay City, but I'd like to offer information on booking the best one that goes to not one, not two, but THREE stops!

Native Way Tours offers a 3-stop tour that can't be beat. We've been on the same excursion 4-5 times and can't wait until our next visit! It's great for all ages AND it includes lunch which you choose off the Rum Point menu.

They pick you up at the port and drive you to the boat. Once everyone is brought on board and given a safety chat, you're off to your first stop, StingRay City Sandbar. The crew is exellent about taking lots of time with everyone so they feel comfy petting and getting to know the beautiful, tame stingrays, especially the little ones. After a nice stop there, you're off to stop #2.

#2 is usually either the Barrier Reef, which is breathtaking, or the beautiful Coral Gardens for snorkeling. On the way to stop #3, the crew will give you a menu so you can choose your lunch. The fresh Catch of the Day is always a good choice, as is the blackened mahi-mahi or fish and chips. There are also sandwhiches Plus you get water, iced tea or lemonade...and all of this is included in the price. "REALLY? LUNCH IS INCLUDED???" Yep, and it's a GREAT lunch! You usually spend about 1 1/2 hours at Rum Point to enjoy the beach, nap in a hammock, or snorkel.

Sharon, the owner, has always been extremely accomodating and wonderful. Be sure to tell her "HI" from Vicki!!!

You can contact them at nativewaywatersports. I can't wait to hear your comments afterwards. I think you'll agree that they're the best!

Edited by weebles
Because I can....... :-)

I know there are a gazillion tour operators to StingRay City, but I'd like to offer information on booking the best one that goes to not one, not two, but THREE stops!

Native Way Tours offers a 3-stop tour that can't be beat. We've been on the same excursion 4-5 times and can't wait until our next visit! It's great for all ages AND it includes lunch which you choose off the Rum Point menu.

They pick you up at the port and drive you to the boat. Once everyone is brought on board and given a safety chat, you're off to your first stop, StingRay City Sandbar. The crew is exellent about taking lots of time with everyone so they feel comfy petting and getting to know the beautiful, tame stingrays, especially the little ones. After a nice stop there, you're off to stop #2.

#2 is usually either the Barrier Reef, which is breathtaking, or the beautiful Coral Gardens for snorkeling. On the way to stop #3, the crew will give you a menu so you can choose your lunch. The fresh Catch of the Day is always a good choice, as is the blackened mahi-mahi or fish and chips. There are also sandwhiches Plus you get water, iced tea or lemonade...and all of this is included in the price. "REALLY? LUNCH IS INCLUDED???" Yep, and it's a GREAT lunch! You usually spend about 1 1/2 hours at Rum Point to enjoy the beach, nap in a hammock, or snorkel.

Sharon, the owner, has always been extremely accomodating and wonderful. Be sure to tell her "HI" from Vicki!!!

You can contact them at nativewaywatersports. I can't wait to hear your comments afterwards. I think you'll agree that they're the best!

Hello,

Is this the Rays, Reef and Rum Piont tour? I have been considering this one and thought that I had previously read on the website about the lunch at Rum Point but do not see it mentioned now.

Thanks,

Hello,

Is this the Rays, Reef and Rum Piont tour? I have been considering this one and thought that I had previously read on the website about the lunch at Rum Point but do not see it mentioned now.

Thanks,

That's the one, but it is offered through Native Way Watersports. I'll try to post their website URL:

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tours.htm

It's only $62.50 and basically all-day. You, and everyone who decides to go with you, will have a wonderful time. PLEASE tell them VICKI said hi!

I have been on over 40 cruises and this is, by far, the best excursion I've ever been on. I never do the ships tours because their prices are inflated.

That's the one, but it is offered through Native Way Watersports. I'll try to post their website URL:

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/tours.htm

It's only $62.50 and basically all-day. You, and everyone who decides to go with you, will have a wonderful time. PLEASE tell them VICKI said hi!

I have been on over 40 cruises and this is, by far, the best excursion I've ever been on. I never do the ships tours because their prices are inflated.

Thank You for your quick response. I will be making a decision today or tomorrow when my DW will be home to go over all options. I will definitely tell them that you said HI. Did you have to give a deposit up front or pay for entire excursion upon arriving?

Thanks,

:cool:

Thank You for your quick response. I will be making a decision today or tomorrow when my DW will be home to go over all options. I will definitely tell them that you said HI. Did you have to give a deposit up front or pay for entire excursion upon arriving?

Thanks,

:cool:

No deposit is necessary. Just email them, make your reservation and let them know when you will be in port and they'll do the rest. You pay on board, and I've never seen anyone use anything but cash.

Hope this helps! You can also check out TripAdvisor for other reviews.

Edited by weebles

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there anyone that has been to GC in 2012 that did shopping and has a store that shouldnt be missed..how about a great place for lunch..the person who posted in 2006 shared an amazing amount of information but I am not sure if it is still up to date considering the economy..

Can anyone help??

Jancruz1

Is there anyone that has been to GC in 2012 that did shopping and has a store that shouldnt be missed..how about a great place for lunch..the person who posted in 2006 shared an amazing amount of information but I am not sure if it is still up to date considering the economy..

Can anyone help??

Jancruz1

There are tons of classy stores in GC, and you should know that Cozumel is going to be LOTS less expensive. GC sells fine glass, expensive jewelry and clothing, but all of this stuff can be found elsewhere for less money. It's a gorgeous port but we mostly do window shopping and save the real shopping for Cozumel or another port. Go snorkeling or stroll on 7-mile beach instead.

Feeling adventurous? They have a GREAT bus line in GC and you can easily tour the island by yourself. If you HAVE to shop, the animal shelter has a pretty good thrift shop. :eek: Yes.....really.

There are tons of classy stores in GC, and you should know that Cozumel is going to be LOTS less expensive. GC sells fine glass, expensive jewelry and clothing, but all of this stuff can be found elsewhere for less money. It's a gorgeous port but we mostly do window shopping and save the real shopping for Cozumel or another port. Go snorkeling or stroll on 7-mile beach instead.

Feeling adventurous? They have a GREAT bus line in GC and you can easily tour the island by yourself. If you HAVE to shop, the animal shelter has a pretty good thrift shop. :eek: Yes.....really.

Thanks for the feedback..I am not planning to get off the ship in Cozumel as there will be 4 major cruise ships in port and about 12,000 people..very crowded!!

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...