Car Rental and Norovirus questions

bubiesmom

Hi everyone,

Time is getting short. Can someone tell me which car rental companies have pick-up/drop-off at the pier? I have to decide on shore excursions and which ports to just rent a car.

Also, I have read some posts on Norovirus and can't find my thread on it. Is is treatable prior to showing symptoms or after the fact? Does anyone know what they treat it with so I can get a prescription for it?

Thanks for the info, everyone has been very helpful. 28 days and counting!

well, when I was "treated" for Norwalk a few years ago on Summit I received bactrim ds (and double strength at that), a anti-nasea med. and anti-diarea med... oh yeah, can't forget this 2 bags on ringers saline and IV of antibiotics while I was in infirmary bay... don't thing you can "bring it on with you" to be prepared. What I would suggest you bring is antibac soap, practice very good hygiene (wash often w/hot water for a decent amount of time), be careful of foods being prepared correctly (careful of hot things that are "left out" at buffets -- sometimes you may get Norwalk or it's food poisoning... both not fun), us a purel type lotion (sometimes cruise lines will have them outside food areas). I'd also suggest you bring Immodium type meds to be prepared. That said cruise 2 years ago I "got it again" it went through our cabin... first son, then dd and me (guess we were actually succeptible and we were washing carefully but DD had just was recouperating from pneumonia and on antibiotics so her health was compromised to start with... we were using purel and hand washing constantly, very careful of what she ate and she didn't participate in kids program).

If you do "fall ill" go to medical dept. asap, they have a shot that usually helps.

Good luck

Carolyn

We are going on POH on Jan 15. I have reserved with Thrifty for all the ports including our post cruise of 4 days in Oahu. They were recommended by other CC members. They will pick up or you walk across the street to the King K hotel in Kona. Be sure to join their Blue Chip for faster service.

As for the virus. It was rampant on our ship last Jan/Feb for 3 weeks in S, America/Antartica. The cruise ship did EVERYTHING possible and I do not fault them. It's a passenger issue. Some do not stay in their rooms when quarantined. They had Purell stations everywhere, stopped self-service buffets, etc., etc. PLEASE WASH HANDS ALWAYS. I kept a small Purell in my pocket, too when we were out on the shore excursions. My husband came down with it and I of course was quarantined. I did not get it. He is very careful on sanitation, but one never knows. The couple we were traveling with did not get it either. Lucky for us, the day we were quarantined, was an at sea day, so we missed nothing. If you do come down with it--call immediately to the nurse and they will come to the room and administer a shot. That's when the time begins for the quarantine for 24 hours.

Have a great trip. I am doing all the research to see as much as possible while there. It is our first time to Hawaii and State #50!

cmjaffe, thanks for the info. Sounds like Norovirus is just a little more than poppin a pill to get better. I'll make sure we all wash our hands...

gerena, (we're sort of neighbors, aren't you by the Amish part of Indiana...)?

Yes, Thrifty, I couldn't think of it...I think I'll call them, thanks. We are going 2 weeks before you. I'll write a review when I get back!

Karyn,

I just read an article yesterday about the virus on a cruise ship. It may have been about the newest one on Freedom of the Seas. If I can remember, I'll let you know--but don't count on it!!! You got it!!!! Wash Hands! Our crew didn't even shake hands!

Yes, I'm in the Amish territory of N. Indiana---about 10 miles from Shipshewana. We have Amish neighbors 2 doors down and across street.

Enjoy the cruise.

Archived